[COMPLETE][Short Stories]The Black Cat Vol. 02 No. 4 January 1897 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 3:58 amIn this case, the right hand column of every other page was cut off so I found myself having to figure out or fill in what I thought the ends of many words or phrases were meant to be. I did my best to use contextual clues. I think I did it pretty well with most of the missing words or parts of words. I only hope that it is good enough to pass Librivox muster! :)
I'm so sorry that the scan was so bad !!! :shock: I didn't realize this when I set up the project. But you did a great job, and I think the text makes totally sense with all the words you inserted. Luckily it was mostly only a few letters than were missing and could easily be guessed.

The story itself was a bit confusing to me :lol: but in the end I got the whole plot. Haha, yes, there's always one more cunning than the rest.

Thank you, Greg, for this excellent Western-style narration. :thumbs: PL ok right away.

Maybe I'll hear you again in the next black cat :mrgreen:

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Kitty wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 6:57 am
GregGiordano wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 3:58 amIn this case, the right hand column of every other page was cut off so I found myself having to figure out or fill in what I thought the ends of many words or phrases were meant to be. I did my best to use contextual clues. I think I did it pretty well with most of the missing words or parts of words. I only hope that it is good enough to pass Librivox muster! :)
I'm so sorry that the scan was so bad !!! :shock: I didn't realize this when I set up the project. But you did a great job, and I think the text makes totally sense with all the words you inserted. Luckily it was mostly only a few letters than were missing and could easily be guessed.

The story itself was a bit confusing to me :lol: but in the end I got the whole plot. Haha, yes, there's always one more cunning than the rest.

Thank you, Greg, for this excellent Western-style narration. :thumbs: PL ok right away.

Maybe I'll hear you again in the next black cat :mrgreen:

Sonia
Thanks, Sonia! I appreciate the kind words. I find that the scans on archive.org can be difficult at times. I'm so happy my attempt to fill in "the blanks" worked.

You can count on me for the next "Black Cat" I absolutely love these publications!

Take care,

Greg
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Here is section 2. Another boat story - with birds! Length 21:01

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0204jan1897_2_various_128kb.mp3

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: May 28th, 2021, 8:34 amHere is section 2. Another boat story - with birds! Length 21:01
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0204jan1897_2_various_128kb.mp3
:shock: wow what a gruesome discovery in the hull of that ship :? another entertaining story and wonderfully narrated, Todd ! Thank you so much.

There is only one small word that needs correcting:

> at 13:59: (p. 18) "Captain Watson, one of the owners" - you say "Wilson". I wanted to let it pass in the beginning, since it doesn't really matter what the guy is called, but later on you correctly call him "Watson" repeatedly, so best stay consistent from the start ;)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Fixed and uploaded for Spot PL.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: May 29th, 2021, 9:17 am Fixed and uploaded for Spot PL.
perfectly edited and now PL ok, thanks !

Sonia
JulieB3

Post by JulieB3 »

Here is section 5. This one is sad, but I think you'll like it anyway. Let me know what you think and I hope you enjoy it.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0204jan1897_5_various_128kb.mp3 9:8
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JulieB3 wrote: May 31st, 2021, 11:47 amHere is section 5. This one is sad, but I think you'll like it anyway. Let me know what you think and I hope you enjoy it.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0204jan1897_5_various_128kb.mp3 9:8
aww yes, this was sad, and so tragic, dying like this, so needlessly. :( But you are right, it was a wonderful story after all, and you narrated it perfectly. 8-) Can be marked PL ok, straight away. Thank you so much Julie.

Well...only one section missing, so I'll start preparing the next volume...stay tuned, it will be launched today still !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

And it's a go !

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=87615

maybe I'll hear some of you in the next one as well.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

kmasters wrote: May 16th, 2021, 4:03 amBut, I have noticed that there are many words chopped off, in both the pdf and epub version. e.g. the opening paragraph:
"ICHMOND, Virginia, in July, 1865. The he; was intense, the sun, glaring down on the almo deserted streets, making the blackness of tl burnt district look blacker than ever, by force contrast."

Should we try to guess a "best fit" for these, or is this intentional as we should read it as it stands?
actually a friend of mine sent me better scans of the chopped-off pages, so you can download them here. I think only two pages for your story were affected, the other 5 are for the preceding story and you can ignore those scans: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/Pages_black-cat_vol_2_no_4.zip

Hope this helps :)

Sonia
kmasters

Post by kmasters »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wow Ken, thank you so much for this lovely narration, and such a beautiful story too. As soon as the other widow was mentioned I had a hunch that would be the outcome, and it was rewarding to be right in the end :lol: Though I pity Peyton, I do love a good happy-ending for Rex and Margaret. A wonderful section, and all PL ok right away.

Maybe I'll be hearing you in another Black Cat soon 8-)

So...we are only waiting for one final correction on Section 1. I wrote a PM to the reader, so there is hope he may get around to it soon and we can archive. :9:

Have a nice weekend

Sonia
kmasters

Post by kmasters »

Thank you.

I'm a little committed at the moment, but, I have that new MW open; when I have a gap, if I see there is still one needing a reader, I'll volunteer. :-)

Ken
Beflamed

Post by Beflamed »

Ok, finally, here's my updated recording - https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0204jan1897_1_various_128kb.mp3
The length is now 24:20
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Beflamed wrote: June 13th, 2021, 2:40 pmOk, finally, here's my updated recording - https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0204jan1897_1_various_128kb.mp3
The length is now 24:20
yes, thank you so much for giving this a priority :9: The sentence is perfectly inserted :thumbs:

I see the noise-cleaning still wasn't done, usually the readers should take care of this as well, but seeing you were a bit pressed for time right now, I've quickly run Audacity Noisecleaning over it myself and the sound is much clearer now.

Can be marked PL ok.

And with that another issue of the black cat can get archived 8-)

A huge thank you again for all the talented readers who gave their voices to the stories: Beflamed, Todd, Greg, Ken and Julie !!!!

Here are the small teasers I came up with this time:
The purloining of Ruth Allen: an old spinster realizes that it's never too late for true love
The scoop of the scarlet tanager: find out how a birdwatcher makes his fortune with a gruesome discovery
The honeymoon at Candlestand Mountain: a ranch-aid hatches an ingenious plot to marry the girl he loves
The man without a name: a man is desperately trying to recover his memory and life
Denny: poor Denny's Saint-Patrick's-celebration had a tragic outcome
Will catalogue now, and post the link once it's done. See you all in one of the next Cats, hopefully !!

Sonia