[COMPLETE][Short Stories]The Black Cat Vol. 02 No. 4 January 1897 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ZahrY

Post by ZahrY »

is this the short story by Edgar Allan Poe? :?:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

No, it is the movie "The Big Year" about obsessed competitive birders trying to see the most different types of birds in a given year. Definitely not normal people, and perhaps, yes, sometimes approaching Poe quality, though usually considered mostly harmless....

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ZahrY wrote: May 13th, 2021, 11:20 amis this the short story by Edgar Allan Poe? :?:
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I think what you rather mean is the project title "The Black Cat" maybe ? No, it is not the short story by Poe, this is a monthly magazine of short stories which we are offering to be recorded by our volunteers. As you can see in the Magic Window in the first post, currently there are still two stories up for grabs, marked with "OPEN" at the end of the line. (they may be gone soon though ;) ) If you are interested in participating, let me know which one you like to read.

First of all though, it's recommendable to complete a one-minute-test first. This is to check that your technical settings are all up to LV standard.
You can read all about it here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test
then you can post the test in the Listeners Wanted forum: viewforum.php?f=21 and someone will check it and give you feedback or advice if needed.

Have fun on the forum !

Sonia
Beflamed

Post by Beflamed »

Can I claim section 1, please? Thanks.
kmasters

Post by kmasters »

I'd like to have Section 4 (The man without a name), please.

But, I have noticed that there are many words chopped off, in both the pdf and epub version. e.g. the opening paragraph:
"ICHMOND, Virginia, in July, 1865. The he; was intense, the sun, glaring down on the almo deserted streets, making the blackness of tl burnt district look blacker than ever, by force contrast."

Should we try to guess a "best fit" for these, or is this intentional as we should read it as it stands?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Beflamed wrote: May 15th, 2021, 5:16 pm Can I claim section 1, please? Thanks.
thank you for your interest in the Black Cat, Beflamed ! Section 1 is reserved for you. I see you managed to iron out the issues from your test, so you are ready to roll. Please see the first post for all details on how to speak the full intro and outro.

Looking forward to hearing your voice :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

kmasters wrote: May 16th, 2021, 4:03 amI'd like to have Section 4 (The man without a name), please.

But, I have noticed that there are many words chopped off, in both the pdf and epub version. e.g. the opening paragraph:
"ICHMOND, Virginia, in July, 1865. The he; was intense, the sun, glaring down on the almo deserted streets, making the blackness of tl burnt district look blacker than ever, by force contrast."

Should we try to guess a "best fit" for these, or is this intentional as we should read it as it stands?
oops, I see you are right, pages 34 and 36 are badly scanned in the middle and 1 or 2 letters are cut off. But yes, please try to figure out the correct words, as it's obviously a scanno. I think for most of the words it should be easy to find out what is missing, seeing how the sentence should be completed. If you are unsure about a word, please let me know and we can try to figure it out together.

As for the first word, it's Richmond, the first letter is an illuminated letter in the square box right at the start of the line. ;)

Thank you, and that makes us fully claimed again, so I move us over to Readers Found. :9:

Sonia
kmasters

Post by kmasters »

OK, thanks very much. I'll copy-and-paste into MS-Word and try to tidy up from there. Most should be straightforward (and I'm guessing the repeated 44 is a double-quote mark :-). If I get stuck, I'll let you know.
Kitty wrote: May 16th, 2021, 4:13 am
kmasters wrote: May 16th, 2021, 4:03 amI'd like to have Section 4 (The man without a name), please.

oops, I see you are right, pages 34 and 36 are badly scanned in the middle and 1 or 2 letters are cut off. But yes, please try to figure out the correct words, as it's obviously a scanno. I think for most of the words it should be easy to find out what is missing, seeing how the sentence should be completed. If you are unsure about a word, please let me know and we can try to figure it out together.

As for the first word, it's Richmond, the first letter is an illuminated letter in the square box right at the start of the line. ;)

Thank you, and that makes us fully claimed again, so I move us over to Readers Found. :9:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

kmasters wrote: May 16th, 2021, 4:26 amOK, thanks very much. I'll copy-and-paste into MS-Word and try to tidy up from there. Most should be straightforward (and I'm guessing the repeated 44 is a double-quote mark :-). If I get stuck, I'll let you know.
I think it would be much easier to read from the actual scan (I always do that), because the OCR can have additional typos which are straightforward in the scan though. But you do as you are used to, in case of doubt I would suggest checking with the scan though, it may clear up a lot of problems.

Sonia
kmasters

Post by kmasters »

Thanks. I've started correcting it - there are many small errors, so reading on the fly from the scan would be really difficult. I am making the changes in MS-Word, but am using Word's Track Changes. When I've done that, would you like me to send you the document before I read it, just to be sure?
Kitty wrote: May 16th, 2021, 4:34 am
kmasters wrote: May 16th, 2021, 4:26 amOK, thanks very much. I'll copy-and-paste into MS-Word and try to tidy up from there. Most should be straightforward (and I'm guessing the repeated 44 is a double-quote mark :-). If I get stuck, I'll let you know.
I think it would be much easier to read from the actual scan (I always do that), because the OCR can have additional typos which are straightforward in the scan though. But you do as you are used to, in case of doubt I would suggest checking with the scan though, it may clear up a lot of problems.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

kmasters wrote: May 16th, 2021, 4:49 amThanks. I've started correcting it - there are many small errors, so reading on the fly from the scan would be really difficult.
hm I don't really know what you mean. Apart from the 2 pages where the last letter of each line is cut off, there are NO visible errors in the scan. So any errors you see in your word document are OCR errors which the computer transcription program wrongly caught. That's why I say reading from the scan is easier. You know that you can magnify each page with the looking glass, right ? That way you can really clearly see the text in the scan. I think correcting a word file is a lot more work for you.

But as you wish...if you are used to this, I will not hinder you from doing it. Anyway, I will prooflisten with the scanned text, so any errors you won't catch, I will find them in the PL phase and let you know ;)

Sonia
Beflamed

Post by Beflamed »

Here is the link to my recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0204jan1897_1_various_128kb.mp3
The duration is 24:13.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Beflamed wrote: May 16th, 2021, 12:34 pmHere is the link to my recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0204jan1897_1_various_128kb.mp3
The duration is 24:13.
wow that was a fast turn-around, thank you so much :) and the narrative is very agreeable to listen to, I really enjoyed the story, especially because it has a happy-ending. :9:

I only found one missed sentence though, if you could insert that one still:

> at 4:03: (p. 2) "The window by which Ruth Allen was sitting overlooked the village, and she glanced out now and then."

Also while you're at it, I would suggest a round of noise-cleaning, because the background noise is a bit marring the listening experience. Do you use Audacity ? It's very easy to noise-clean in that program, just do the following:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise Reduction
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Reduction
> now select OK

Just one more advice: around 5 to 10 minutes in I can also hear some background talking of people...this cannot get cleaned so easily and it's not too disturbing, so you don't need to bother with it this time, but it would be good to make sure the room is very quiet while you record ;) The way I do it, when I hear noise outside in the street, I let the recording run on, but I don't read and only take it up again when the cars have passed or the people stop talking. Then in the editing phase, this whole part can easily get cut out.

Just reupload with the exact same filename and all will be ok :)

Thanks

Sonia
kmasters

Post by kmasters »

You are correct. I apologise.
Kitty wrote: May 16th, 2021, 4:56 am
kmasters wrote: May 16th, 2021, 4:49 amThanks. I've started correcting it - there are many small errors, so reading on the fly from the scan would be really difficult.
hm I don't really know what you mean. Apart from the 2 pages where the last letter of each line is cut off, there are NO visible errors in the scan. So any errors you see in your word document are OCR errors which the computer transcription program wrongly caught. That's why I say reading from the scan is easier. You know that you can magnify each page with the looking glass, right ? That way you can really clearly see the text in the scan. I think correcting a word file is a lot more work for you.

But as you wish...if you are used to this, I will not hinder you from doing it. Anyway, I will prooflisten with the scanned text, so any errors you won't catch, I will find them in the PL phase and let you know ;)

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Sonia,

Here is Section 3 -

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0204jan1897_3_various_128kb.mp3

Run time is 27:17

PLEASE NOTE - as you know, text in archive.org can sometimes be rough. In this case, the right hand column of every other page was cut off so I found myself having to figure out or fill in what I thought the ends of many words or phrases were meant to be. I did my best to use contextual clues. I think I did it pretty well with most of the missing words or parts of words. I only hope that it is good enough to pass Librivox muster! :)

I look forward to your thoughts once you have had a chance to listen.

Take care,

Greg