~[COMPLETE] Mystic Treatises (Six Treatises on the Behavior of Excellence), by Isaac of Nineveh - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian »

Mystic Treatises (Six Treatises on the Behavior of Excellence), by Isaac of Nineveh (613 - 700), translated by Arent Jan Wensinck ( - 1939)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/six-treatises-on-the-behavior-of-excellence-by-isaac-of-nineveh/

Isaac of Nineveh was born in Eastern Arabia, a mixed Syriac and Arabic speaking region in Mesopotamia. When he was young he entered a monastery where he devoted his efforts to asceticism. He studied theology for a time and became involved in religious education. When the Catholicos visited him he decided to ordain Isaac as a bishop of Nineveh. However, he did not like the administrative duties and retired again to the hermetical and monastic life in which struggles he eventually died. He left a number of writings on mystical subjects including these, "Six Treatises on the Behavior of Excellence," which cover the topics about how to excel in Christian perfection by becoming a more virtuous person. (Summary from Wikipedia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/IsaacOfNinevehMysticTreatises/page/n1/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2021-12-14

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Treatise # of Mystic Treatises (Six Treatises on the Behavior of Excellence). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Mystic Treatises (Six Treatises on the Behavior of Excellence), by Isaac of Nineveh, translated by Arent Jan Wensinck. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Mystic Treatises (Six Treatises on the Behavior of Excellence), by Isaac of Nineveh. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of treatise #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Mystic Treatises (Six Treatises on the Behavior of Excellence), by Isaac of Nineveh, translated by Arent Jan Wensinck."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: sixtreatises_##_isaacofnineveh_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number.

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: icequeen

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by ancientchristian on April 29th, 2021, 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

AC,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
ancientchristian

Thanks MaryAnn. Good to have you on another project.
ancientchristian

Even though this is a rather short work, I don't think I can finish it. Do you want to open it up? Or just delete it? I'm fine with either.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Well, the decision is yours.

Typically if there are sections recorded, we keep them, unless the reader asks that they be deleted.

Assuming you don't ask that the sections be deleted, you can manage it as a group project, or I can post it to the Abandoned Projects thread (here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22757) where it will rest until someone else comes along to complete it as a solo or BC it as a group.
ancientchristian

Abandoning it is. I'll post it in that group.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK.

I'll take care of moving it over. There are a couple of things only an admin can do (change the post that lists abandoned projects and move the uploaded files to a safe spot).

MaryAnn
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I have decided to adopt this project to finish it. It is short, so this should be quick. I am looking for a DPL. The first two sections I have listened to and marked as PL OK. There are some mistakes, but they are not terrible, I can live with that.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Ann. You are welcome to leave the files where they are, or to move them over to your upload folder.

MaryAnn
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: October 4th, 2021, 6:34 am Thanks Ann. You are welcome to leave the files where they are, or to move them over to your upload folder.

MaryAnn

Great! Thanks MaryAnn! I will probably move them at some point, just to keep myself in order.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Treatise 3 is in the MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Treatise 4 is in the MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Treatise 5 is in!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

The last section is in! I will advertise for a DPL.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 3 PL OK!

I'll try to do more, but another PLer would be faster, I'm sure.