[COMPLETE][Magazine][Short Stories]The Rover Vol. 01 No. 11 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

The Rover Vol. 01 No. 11, by Seba Smith (1792-1868) and Lawrence Labree

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/rover-01-11-by-various/
"The Rover: A weekly magazine of tales, poetry and engravings, original and selected" was a magazine started in 1843 by Seba Smith and Lawrence Labree. The editors aimed at a high quality standard in their selection of short stories and poetry. Every half-year, the 26 weekly issues were also published under a bound compilation. This is the eleventh issue with poetry and prose texts. (Summary by Sonia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/rover02labrgoog/page/n203/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of The Rover Volume 1 Number 11. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Rover Volume 1 Number 11, edited by Seba Smith and Lawrence Labree. Section [Number and Title]." (see MW for exact title/author)
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Rover Volume 1 Number 11, edited by Seba Smith and Lawrence Labree."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: rover0111_#_various_128kb.mp3 where # is the section number. (e.g. rover0111_1_various_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and the next Rover magazine is launched.

This time the scan was a bit lacking in quality, 2 pages were missing and even though I found them in another scan of the same magazine, those two pages still were incompletely scanned (what are the odds ? :roll: )

But luckily I found both stories in yet another magazine of the time and I made a screenshot from the missing lines and put them in a zip folder here: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover-01-11-missing-lines.zip

The correct pages and zip files are linked in the MW for the Sections 3 and 4 (The White Witch of Soignies and Jacqueline). Sorry for the confusion. But all should be there now.

And it's a go !

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

May I claim 4 and 6? Jim
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 4:12 am May I claim 4 and 6? Jim
yes thank you. I hope it's not too confusing with the different sources for Jacqueline. If you have problems, just send me a message.

Sonia
MolehillMtn

Post by MolehillMtn »

Can I have section 8?

Also, I would be introducing it as “section 8” or “The Passing Crowd”?
oogiesragdoll

Post by oogiesragdoll »

May I have the sections 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MolehillMtn wrote: April 24th, 2021, 10:26 pmCan I have section 8?
hello and welcome to the forum :) I see this is your first claim and since you already passed your test :thumbs: I created your new reader page right away: https://librivox.org/reader/16142 all your projects will be listed here. If you want to run under a different reader name (for example your real name) please let me know and I can still change it. :)

The details on how to read the intro disclaimer correctly and how to name the file are all in the very post post. So this is what you should read in the beginning: "Section 8 of The Rover Volume 1 Number 11. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Rover Volume 1 Number 11, edited by Seba Smith and Lawrence Labree. Section 8. The passing crowd"

And since this is the last section in this project, you also need to read the final book disclaimer at the end, so all this: "End of Section 8. End of The Rover Volume 1 Number 11, edited by Seba Smith and Lawrence Labree."

Oh and please don't forget to include the few lines about Shakespeare at the end of your story, like I noted down in the Magic Window.

Have fun recording !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

oogiesragdoll wrote: April 25th, 2021, 12:06 amMay I have the sections 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7?
welcome to the Rover project :)

but are you sure you want all five of the sections ? :shock: They are longer than you think, because the script is very small and all the pages run in two columns. I only mention it because I want to make sure the readers know what they are up against. :? If you tell me you can manage to do them inside of the two-month deadline, then I can certainly assign you to them. But maybe you want to prevent stressing yourself by claiming a few less to begin with. This magazine will be long running still, so there will be many opportunities for more recordings. :D

So please let me know if you think you are ok with them all or you'd rather start smaller then I will unassign you from some of them again, no problem. In that case, please let me know which one you want to start with.

Thanks

Sonia
MolehillMtn

Post by MolehillMtn »

Kitty wrote: April 25th, 2021, 1:43 am
MolehillMtn wrote: April 24th, 2021, 10:26 pmCan I have section 8?
hello and welcome to the forum :) I see this is your first claim and since you already passed your test :thumbs: I created your new reader page right away: https://librivox.org/reader/16142 all your projects will be listed here. If you want to run under a different reader name (for example your real name) please let me know and I can still change it. :)

The details on how to read the intro disclaimer correctly and how to name the file are all in the very post post. So this is what you should read in the beginning: "Section 8 of The Rover Volume 1 Number 11. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Rover Volume 1 Number 11, edited by Seba Smith and Lawrence Labree. Section 8. The passing crowd"

And since this is the last section in this project, you also need to read the final book disclaimer at the end, so all this: "End of Section 8. End of The Rover Volume 1 Number 11, edited by Seba Smith and Lawrence Labree."

Oh and please don't forget to include the few lines about Shakespeare at the end of your story, like I noted down in the Magic Window.

Have fun recording !

Sonia
Thanks so much, Sonia! Would please change my catalogue name to Christina Fu?

I’ll make sure to include the Shakespeare part and close out the magazine.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MolehillMtn wrote: April 25th, 2021, 8:48 am Would please change my catalogue name to Christina Fu?
done :) https://librivox.org/reader/16142

Sonia
MolehillMtn

Post by MolehillMtn »

Here is section 8:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0111_8_various_128kb.mp3
6:22
Hope The Passing Crowd is Passable! (But ready to adjust after any PL notes.)
oogiesragdoll

Post by oogiesragdoll »

Kitty wrote: April 25th, 2021, 1:57 am
oogiesragdoll wrote: April 25th, 2021, 12:06 amMay I have the sections 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7?
welcome to the Rover project :)

but are you sure you want all five of the sections ? :shock: They are longer than you think, because the script is very small and all the pages run in two columns. I only mention it because I want to make sure the readers know what they are up against. :? If you tell me you can manage to do them inside of the two-month deadline, then I can certainly assign you to them. But maybe you want to prevent stressing yourself by claiming a few less to begin with. This magazine will be long running still, so there will be many opportunities for more recordings. :D

So please let me know if you think you are ok with them all or you'd rather start smaller then I will unassign you from some of them again, no problem. In that case, please let me know which one you want to start with.

Thanks

Sonia
Hi, I'll do sections 1 and 7 then.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MolehillMtn wrote: April 25th, 2021, 4:47 pmHere is section 8:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0111_8_various_128kb.mp3
6:22
Hope The Passing Crowd is Passable! (But ready to adjust after any PL notes.)
thank you for this beautifully narrated section, Christina :9: you have a lovely voice, and so even-paced and nicely articulate that it's a pleasure to listen to the recording. Already I hope to hear many many more stories from you.

This is perfectly PL ok. Congrats on your first official recording for LV :birthday:

If I had to say anything, please watch out that the initial silence doesn't become too long. We recommend 0.5 to 1 second maximum. Yours is a bit over 1 second, it's ok, I won't fail it just for that (we're not that picky ;) ) but don't let it get any longer.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

oogiesragdoll wrote: April 25th, 2021, 5:00 pmHi, I'll do sections 1 and 7 then.
thank you, they are reserved for you now. I think you made the right call not to overclaim :thumbs: Looking forward to your two sections.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I'll assign myself to the Hussar's Saddle, if you wouldn't mind PLing another one of my recordings, Jim :)

Sonia