[COMPLETE][History]World's Story 15: The World War - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote: May 10th, 2021, 7:06 pmHere is one more section for your perusal.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory15_78_dresser_128kb.mp3 time: 15:14
thank you, April, this section is also excellently narrated and PL ok right away. :thumbs:

While listening I couldn't help thinking that the nations seemed almost happier if the soldiers died in the war, instead of making it all so inconvenient for the country and economy to come home crippled and being an eye-sore and drain on society. :roll: Well... one should think of this before sending healthy young people into a senseless war.

A very good article. Thanks !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: May 11th, 2021, 2:47 amSection 71 - Air Battle
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory15_71_dresser_128kb.mp3

This sounds to me more like wartime propaganda fiction than a true report, could they really have fought 5 against 27 and come out unscathed :hmm:

I have adopted the US pronunciation of airplane, even though this is supposed to be by a British correspondent, but not the US pronunciation of Lieutenant as these were British officers. :?
wow indeed, this was gripping suspense. Well...it sounds like Xena taking on single-handedly a bunch of ruffians :lol: you're right, it is incredible, but probably not impossible.

What would the British pronunciation be ? More like "aeroplane" ? :hmm:

Excellent narrative, Alan, totally PL ok, thank you

Sonia
alanine

Post by alanine »

Kitty wrote: May 11th, 2021, 2:31 am
Only thing you need to watch out for is the ending silence, which should be a standard 5 seconds. Yours is a bit over 6, this is ok, as there are no other errors, we won't be too picky, no need to reupload this time, but please don't let it get any longer ;)
I've always had a talent for awkward silences. I'll be sure to keep the ending pause to five seconds in future, though. This was fun, and now I'm off to browse for my next reading.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanine wrote: May 11th, 2021, 3:49 amI've always had a talent for awkward silences.
:lol: no but fortunately your silences inside your narrative were quite agreeable, not dragging out unnecessarly. I always find that anything over 2 seconds of silence is very awkward in a story. I personally try to stay between 1 second and 1 and a half maximum (between paragraphs maybe). Yours was fine in that respect as well.

Good luck hunting down new material to get your claws in. :)

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Thank you for the pl okay. My thoughts with this section were along the same lines as yours. :)

Kitty wrote: May 11th, 2021, 2:49 am
adr6090 wrote: May 10th, 2021, 7:06 pmHere is one more section for your perusal.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory15_78_dresser_128kb.mp3 time: 15:14
thank you, April, this section is also excellently narrated and PL ok right away. :thumbs:

While listening I couldn't help thinking that the nations seemed almost happier if the soldiers died in the war, instead of making it all so inconvenient for the country and economy to come home crippled and being an eye-sore and drain on society. :roll: Well... one should think of this before sending healthy young people into a senseless war.

A very good article. Thanks !

Sonia
April
Tim811

Post by Tim811 »

Kitty wrote: May 5th, 2021, 11:56 pm
Tim811 wrote: May 5th, 2021, 8:25 amI just uploaded my completed section and as per the instructions (I hope that I'm doing this correctly)... I'm providing a link to the file. Duration is short: 03:05.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory15_52_dresser_128kb.mp3
hello Tim and thank you for your section. Your very first, as I recall and you did extremely well. I love your voice, it's soothing to listen to (despite the depressing text). And your pacing is agreeable to follow along with the naration. :thumbs: I hope you liked the recording process, so we'll hear plenty more of you soon.

Still...a few things need to be edited still. No worry, you don't have to re-record it all from scratch, we actually encourage editing, so the work doesn't have to get done twice. This is what you need to do:

> from 0:04-0:26: for short sections like these, I wanted to use the abbreviated intro disclaimer, which I mentioned (in green) in the very first post. Could you please delete all this and read the following: "Section 52 of The World War, read for LibriVox.org by [your name]. The World War, Part VIII. The fighting machines. Historical note."

> at 2:47: missed bit of the sentence (underlined part): "in the effort to meet the latest output of the enemy". The easiest way is to re-record that sentence in another audacity window (if you use that program), noise-clean and amplify like the original file, then highlight, copy and paste it into the correct slot in the masterfile.

> at the end: you only have 3 seconds of silence, could you please insert 2 more, to have the standard 5 seconds ?

Then simply reupload with the exact same filename, so the old file gets replaced by the new one.

Thanks and congrats on your first official recording. :thumbs:

Sonia
Hi Sonia,

Thank you so much for your kind words. Encouragement to a newbie means a lot :) I edited the points you described and hopefully it meets the criteria. I am indeed using Audacity (v2.4.2) and just getting used to the tools. I will probably have some questions down the road... but I gotta admit this is a lot of fun :thumbs:
Looking forward to my next project.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory15_52_dresser_128kb.mp3
duration: 2:44

Thanks again,
Tim
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Tim811 wrote: May 12th, 2021, 5:28 amI edited the points you described and hopefully it meets the criteria. I am indeed using Audacity (v2.4.2) and just getting used to the tools. I will probably have some questions down the road... but I gotta admit this is a lot of fun :thumbs:
Looking forward to my next project.
that's great, I hope I'll hear you in another project soon. 8-)

Meanwhile, this section is perfectly edited and PL ok now. Congrats on your first section :thumbs:

Thank you

Sonia
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you, Colleen ! Expertly narrated again and all PL ok.

And of course I was mighty curious to know how they managed to escape :lol: luckily wikipedia has already an article on Pyke and they shed a bit more light on it:
"Pyke compiled statistical data on previous escapes, and together with Falk, made a decision to escape, following a regime of calisthenic exercise to prepare. On the afternoon of 9 July 1915, Pyke and Falk crept into a hut and hid under tennis nets, using glare from the sunset to blind the patrolling guard. Successful, they waited until dark and climbed over the perimeter fences."
hmmm so they simply hid and then left ? Somehow I was thinking there must have been a more dramatic solution. :lol:

Sonia
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Maybe that's the real reason they didn't want to reveal their spectacular plan....

Thanks for the feedback! I have one section recorded but there was a lot of outside noise so I think I'm gonna redo it and get the others done in the next week or so.

I'm gonna miss the World's Story!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ColleenMc wrote: May 14th, 2021, 6:12 amMaybe that's the real reason they didn't want to reveal their spectacular plan....
:lol: not enough James-Bond glamour.
I have one section recorded but there was a lot of outside noise
snoring dogs ? ;)

there's still time, no worries :)
I'm gonna miss the World's Story!
me too, I can't believe we are already at the end here. :shock:

on the other hand, I'm also ready to try something new...

Sonia
KuyaCarrot

Post by KuyaCarrot »

Hi! This is section 42.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory15_42_dresser_128kb.mp3
12:56
Sorry it took some time to finish. Thank you again!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Here is section 66 with a totally suitable runtime of 12:12:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory15_66_dresser_128kb.mp3
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

KuyaCarrot wrote: May 16th, 2021, 2:45 pmHi! This is section 42.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory15_42_dresser_128kb.mp3
12:56
Sorry it took some time to finish. Thank you again!
you did not take that much time to finish, so all is well. There's always an initial 2-month-deadline for our sections, so you are well inside that time-frame (of course we are all happy when the sections get finished early 8-) ) so thank you for that.

Interesting chapter, I didn't know much about the war in Africa. And you again read it very engagingly.

I have a few small notes to correct though:

> the background noise is a bit disturbing, I would suggest a round of noise cleaning. You could take for example the silence between 0:21 and 0:22, where the noise is quite pronounced

> at 0:20: (p. 237) you forgot the date in the title. Please always read the full title as I marked it down in the Magic Window. Here: "Campaigning under Botha (1915), by Cyril Campbell"

> at 12:34: (p. 245) repeat: "as is popularly believed" – you can cut one version

thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: May 16th, 2021, 5:04 pmHere is section 66 with a totally suitable runtime of 12:12:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory15_66_dresser_128kb.mp3
I once visited a submarine that was on display in Northern Germany, no way would I want to be under the sea in that death-trap :? claustrophobia was kicking in there, and it really looks uncomfortable.

An interesting section again, Availle, thanks !

Only one small pronounciation error, that I felt I should point out:

> at 11:03: (p. 397) "so runs the tale as told by these young Britons" – I think this was only an oversight... the 'i' in "Britons" is pronounced like "Great Britain". It sounds a bit odd the way you say it.

thanks

Sonia