[COMPLETE][History]World's Story 15: The World War - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
EmilioC

Post by EmilioC »

Hi Sonia and all,

I'm aware that my deadline is approaching, but family matters have taken their toll. I was hoping to get an extension for my sections if that isn't too much to ask.

Thanks so much,
Emilio
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

EmilioC wrote: June 19th, 2021, 11:12 pmI'm aware that my deadline is approaching, but family matters have taken their toll. I was hoping to get an extension for my sections if that isn't too much to ask.
hello Emilio

thank you for letting me know, and I understand that family matters take precedence. I can grant you another month extension, so till the 21st July, that way you can finish up your sections without stress. Is that fine with you ? Of course whenever you can finish up earlier, we'll be more than happy, since we are approaching the end of the project. :mrgreen:

Since these will be your first ever sections, I would recommend posting the first section (probably the shortest one) as soon as it's finished editing, and before you start on the next one, so I can give you feedback and in case there are errors, you will not repeat those in the second section ;)

All the best

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ColleenMc wrote: June 19th, 2021, 12:55 pmSection 17: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory15_17_dresser_128kb.mp3
Section 19: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory15_19_dresser_128kb.mp3

Thank you again, Sonia, for the hard work you have put in to bring us to this last volume!
awww :9: thank you, Colleen, but the praise really belongs to all the great readers who helped bring this series to completion (and in such record time, in my opinion).

And thanks for your final two sections, which are excellently narrated and totally PL ok. :thumbs: Life in the trenches is really not something I covet. :?

Sonia
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hello Sonia,

May I have a second extension for my sections? Section 3 is recorded and needs editing (hoping to do it this week, if my schedule still allows). And depending on where I am this coming weekend, I'm hoping to have time to record and edit the other two. But I'd say three extra weeks might be on the safe side, if I may ask.
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ezwa wrote: June 28th, 2021, 11:44 amMay I have a second extension for my sections? Section 3 is recorded and needs editing (hoping to do it this week, if my schedule still allows). And depending on where I am this coming weekend, I'm hoping to have time to record and edit the other two. But I'd say three extra weeks might be on the safe side, if I may ask.
thank you, for letting me know Ezwa :) and yes, a little bit more time is not a problem, anyway, we are still waiting for a few more sections, you are not the last yet ;) Is it ok with 2 more weeks maybe ? So till 15th July. As soon as one section is done, you could maybe upload already that one if possible.

@Tomas and Devorah: thank you for your sections 8-) will try to PL today still, but over the weekend a backlog has accumulated, which I need to work off slowly....getting there.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: June 26th, 2021, 6:21 pmFinally, here are my sections!
thank you so much, Tomas, I finally had a listen to them all and all are PL ok. :thumbs: Some really hard-to-swallow descriptions here again :? I am happy when this project is over.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

no worries, Devorah, still a few sections left, so I was patient :lol: Two lovely narrations again, thank you so much. I especially liked the description of the ambulance driver. :9: Both sections are PL ok.

And yes, for the time being I have finished my backlog, yay.

Sonia
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Kitty wrote: June 29th, 2021, 12:51 amAs soon as one section is done, you could maybe upload already that one if possible.

Sure thing. That's my plan (I wouldn't want to risk loosing it in case my computer crashes). :wink:
Thanks for the extension!
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »

ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Ezwa

Boileau

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

awww wonderfully narrated, Ezwa, and it was somehow cool that these very heroic sections about Belgian's history were read by a Belgian as well :thumbs: makes it all more authentic. Very big feelings in those chapters, I cheered them on from time to time, especially in the Verhaeren article. And I see that Luxembourg at least got two small notes as well 8-)

All three sections PL ok. Thank you so much.

Wow, we are approaching the end...only three more sections left. I do hope the readers won't forget about them.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

update: since I haven't heard from the reader for over two months, section 59 will be released again, and luckily I got a PM from Colleen, who volunteers for it :9: here is the relevant part for the record:
ColleenMc wrote:If any become orphaned I would like to volunteer to do them…
Colleen
thank you Colleen, it's yours. You seem to be in for the "escape" stories this time. :lol:

we stay fully claimed.

Sonia
EmilioC

Post by EmilioC »

Hey everyone,

My deepest apologies for the delay, but many thanks for your patience in trying times. Here are my two completed sections. An additional apology for the butchering of French names.

Section 30: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory15_30_dresser_128kb.mp3
(24:32)

Section 77: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory15_77_dresser_128kb.mp3
(12:43)

All the best,
Emilio
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

EmilioC wrote: July 19th, 2021, 9:08 pmMy deepest apologies for the delay, but many thanks for your patience in trying times. Here are my two completed sections. An additional apology for the butchering of French names.
Section 30: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory15_30_dresser_128kb.mp3 (24:32)
thank you so much for these great sections, Emilio :9: and you met your extended deadline still, so no need to apologize. I am thrilled that this project is now so close to the end.

As these are your first official recordings, I am especially pleased to tell you that your narrative qualities are very agreeable to listen to, you make the text interesting and engaging and your diction and pacing makes it easy to understand and follow along. :thumbs: So far so good.

I did find a few small things to tweak still...now please don't get a shock by the many PL notes that follow. Most of the corrections are very minor and deal with lengthy pauses between sentences. I always recommend staying under 2 seconds of silence, even between paragraphs, often 1.5 seconds maximum is enough. For a listener, a pause of 2 seconds feels very long and risks "throwing you out of the story". Only 3 actual errors have to be re-recorded, so the most things are cut-jobs and should be fairly easy. Maybe start with the last PL note and work your way to the beginning, that way the time stamps stay the same after cutting silences ;)

So here are the time stamps, where I would recommend cutting the pauses significantly:

> 0:30-0:32: section 30 / the battle of Cambrai
> 2:30-2:32: (p. 165) Hindenburg support beyond / to my mind
> 5:14-5:16: (p. 166) black day / I think all the British
> 9:22-9:24: (p. 168) do its damnedest / the German troops knew nothing
> 13:06-13:14 (p. 170) dugouts underneath it / about 8:30 in the morning
> 15:35-15:38: (p. 171) bird in a cage / there were sturdy peasants
> 19:47-19:50: (p. 174) described as follows / the assault began
> 20:53-20:56: (p. 174) in great numbers / late in the day
> 21:02-21:04: (p. 174) that they had left / farther to the south

And the following are actual errors or repeats that need to be corrected:

> at 5:45: (p. 166) "wide trenches of the strongest lines on the western front" - you say "eastern front"

> at 11:20 and at 11:34: (p. 169) repetition of 4 lines, one version can be cut: "The attack of the Ulster battalions ... persistent endeavours and courage"

> at 11:55: (p. 169) repeat, can be cut once "were determined, to go far"

> at 13:57 and at 14:14: (p. 171) "footnote" and "end of footnote" these words can get cut, because this is not one of the footnotes (footnotes are marked by a number and are placed at the bottom of the page - sorry if I was imprecise in my explanation). Just read these bracketted notes as written, with no intro or outro.

> at 15:27: (p. 171) "woefully bedraggled" - you say "bed-raggled" but I think the word he means is "be-draggled" (as in "worn down")

> at 17:15 and at 17:24: (p. 172) "footnote" and "end of footnote" - same here, can get cut

> at 24:28: missed end disclaimer, please insert: "End of Section 30. This recording is in the public domain"

> last but not least, the volume is a little bit under our accepted range (86-92 dB). Please amplify with about 4 dB to bring it to a good average of 89.

Oh and please only correct those pauses I mentioned, and the small bits of sentences that are wrong, or if you want to correct anything else, please make me a note of the exact time stamp as well. This will save me the time to look through the text and find the right spot ;) I mention this because some new readers go and re-record everything again, which is not recommended, as it is a lot of added time and work, both for reader and listener. We always encourage Spot correcting to re-recording. If you need help on how to accurately spot edit, please let me know. Usually the easiest way is to re-record the snippet of sentence in another Audacity window and then copy/paste it to the right spot, maybe adjusting the volume a bit so it sounds similar to the surrounding sentence.

Then simply re-upload with the exact same filename, so the old file will be replaced by the new file.

I am a bit pressed for time right now, so I will listen to the second section tonight or tomorrow. I wanted to give you feedback on your first section at least.

Thank you, already looking forward to the next one.

Sonia