[COMPLETE]The Other Side of the Hill, F.W. Boreham-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

The Other Side of the Hill, and Home Again, by Frank W. Boreham (1871 - 1959)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-other-side-of-the-hill-by-frank-w-boreham/

Volunteers outside the USA: Frank W. Boreham died in 1959. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
Frank Boreham was a well known preacher who served in England, Australia, and New Zealand. He published dozens of books and thousands of editorials during his lifetime, with no sign of slowing down, even up until his death at age 88. He wrote with a distinctive style, seeming to be able to draw a spiritual lesson out of any conceivable topic.<br><br>In this volume, Boreham challenges us to view things from a perspective we may not be accustomed to–from the other side of the hill, as it were–and then to return home with a fresh outlook. (Summary by Devorah Allen)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/othersideofhillh00bore/

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Other

Keywords that describe the book: australia, sermons, theology

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Part #, Chapter # of The Other Side of the Hill. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Other Side of the Hill, and Home Again, by Frank W. Boreham. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of Part #, Chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Other Side of the Hill, and Home Again, by Frank W. Boreham."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: othersideofthehill_##_boreham_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section (not chapter) number. (e.g. othersideofthehill_01_boreham_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: mightyfelix

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yay, another Boreham! :D

Open for readers and a DPL. There are lots of good sections here that I wanted to assign to myself as I was skimming the book! :lol: You won't be disappointed!
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

I'm happy to DPL again!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

:clap:

Thank you, Kristin! This looks like a really good volume, judging by what I skimmed of it last night. I think you'll enjoy it.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, so my choice selections here, as usual, but let me start with a handful - 4,10,20,28
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Might I have the following sections:

1 Part 1, Ch 1: Swings and Round-Abouts
12 Part 2, Ch 3: A Scrap of Paper
13 Part 2, Ch 4: The Lattice Window
19 Part 2, Ch 10: Charades

Thanks,

M
AidanLSHS

Post by AidanLSHS »

May I claim the following sections:
Section 4, Part 1, Ch4: The Other Side of the Hill
Section 5, Part 1, Ch5: On The Old Man's Trail
Section 6, Part 1, Ch6: Sandy
Section 7, Part 1, Ch7: The Enchanted Goat
I can get these done by March the 30th latest, March the 28th at the earliest :thumbs:
Aidan L
and also, can I use Loom to record me reading the chapter or do I have to download Audacity and use that?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

silverquill wrote: March 27th, 2021, 8:09 am Well, so my choice selections here, as usual, but let me start with a handful - 4,10,20,28
You're in, thank you! :D
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

mleigh wrote: March 27th, 2021, 10:59 am Might I have the following sections:

1 Part 1, Ch 1: Swings and Round-Abouts
12 Part 2, Ch 3: A Scrap of Paper
13 Part 2, Ch 4: The Lattice Window
19 Part 2, Ch 10: Charades

Thanks,

M
You got it!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

AidanLSHS wrote: March 27th, 2021, 6:11 pm May I claim the following sections:
I can get these done by March the 30th latest, March the 28th at the earliest :thumbs:
Aidan L
and also, can I use Loom to record me reading the chapter or do I have to download Audacity and use that?
Hi Aidan! Welcome to LibriVox! I'm glad that you've found your way here and that you're choosing one of my projects to start off with. :)

You can use any software/equipment you like to record and edit, as long as it can get you am mp3 file that meets our technical requirements. We ask that you start off with a quick test before doing a "real" recording, just to make sure that everything is set up properly. That way, you don't run the risk of recording an entire chapter just to have to redo it because a setting was toggled wrong or something. Here is a walkthrough of where and how to post your test: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

Section 4 was already claimed, just a couple of posts above you. But I can assign you the other three you asked for. What name would you like to use for the catalogue? It could be your real name, screen name, or some other pseudonym.

Let me know if you need any help or have questions!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

And now that we have a DPL and several claims in, I guess it's time to head to Readers Wanted!
AidanLSHS

Post by AidanLSHS »

mightyfelix wrote: March 27th, 2021, 7:03 pm
AidanLSHS wrote: March 27th, 2021, 6:11 pm May I claim the following sections:
Aidan L
Hi Aidan! Welcome to LibriVox! I'm glad that you've found your way here and that you're choosing one of my projects to start off with. :)

You can use any software/equipment you like to record and edit, as long as it can get you am mp3 file that meets our technical requirements. We ask that you start off with a quick test before doing a "real" recording, just to make sure that everything is set up properly. That way, you don't run the risk of recording an entire chapter just to have to redo it because a setting was toggled wrong or something. Here is a walkthrough of where and how to post your test: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

Section 4 was already claimed, just a couple of posts above you. But I can assign you the other three you asked for. What name would you like to use for the catalogue? It could be your real name, screen name, or some other pseudonym.

Let me know if you need any help or have questions!
then may i please get section 8, Part 1, Ch8: Companions of the Bush? I chose yours since it had "group" in it, since I only have time to do 4 chapters a day :) I will make sure to test, how do I do that exactly since I literally made my account today? thanks in advance!
and I'll go under the name "AidanL"
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

AidanLSHS wrote: March 27th, 2021, 7:18 pm then may i please get section 8, Part 1, Ch8: Companions of the Bush? I chose yours since it had "group" in it, since I only have time to do 4 chapters a day :) I will make sure to test, how do I do that exactly since I literally made my account today? thanks in advance!
Yes, I can assign you section 8 as well. But please don't feel you need to do them all in a day! You'll find that 4 chapters a day is quite a lot by our standards, since we are all volunteers and can only do this in our spare time. I consider it exceptionally good if I manage 4 chapters in a week, personally!

As for the test, the link I gave you above will walk you through the entire process. Take a look there, and then if you still have questions after reading it, I'll be happy to help straighten them out!
AidanLSHS

Post by AidanLSHS »

mightyfelix wrote: March 27th, 2021, 7:41 pm
AidanLSHS wrote: March 27th, 2021, 7:18 pm then may i please get section 8, Part 1, Ch8: Companions of the Bush? I chose yours since it had "group" in it, since I only have time to do 4 chapters a day :) I will make sure to test, how do I do that exactly since I literally made my account today? thanks in advance!
Yes, I can assign you section 8 as well. But please don't feel you need to do them all in a day! You'll find that 4 chapters a day is quite a lot by our standards, since we are all volunteers and can only do this in our spare time. I consider it exceptionally good if I manage 4 chapters in a week, personally!

As for the test, the link I gave you above will walk you through the entire process. Take a look there, and then if you still have questions after reading it, I'll be happy to help straighten them out!
I only have Sunday to do reading this week, so I gotta get this thing done :)
So to clarify, I download Audacity (the most recent version, which is 3.0), record the 1-minute test using the provided text, and then upload it and send the link here? thanks in advance. or do i just upload recordings of me reading and upload them here? sorry if I have questions that seem obvious, it's my first time using this website and my first time using Audacity. :help:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

AidanLSHS wrote: March 27th, 2021, 7:47 pm I only have Sunday to do reading this week, so I gotta get this thing done :)
So to clarify, I download Audacity (the most recent version, which is 3.0), record the 1-minute test using the provided text, and then upload it and send the link here? thanks in advance. or do i just upload recordings of me reading and upload them here? sorry if I have questions that seem obvious, it's my first time using this website and my first time using Audacity. :help:
We ask that you submit your recording within 1-2 months, so if it has to wait till next week, no sweat. 8-)

You can use Audacity if you like. One advantage of course is that it's free. Another is that many people here use it, so it's easy to get help if you need it. However, if you're already familiar with another program (such as Loom, which I'm not familiar with), you can use it if you prefer, as long as you can produce a file that meets the technical specifications of:
Channel: Mono
Sample rate: 44100 Hz
Sample format: 16 bit
Export format: MP3
Export bitrate: 128 kbps constant
The Peter Piper text was designed partly to check for sound issues such as noisy plosives ('p' sounds, etc), but you can use any text for your test. Just so long as it's short. After you upload it, you'll post the link in a new topic in the Listeners Wanted forum, not in this project thread.

No need to apologize. Everyone has questions starting out, and we were all new once. :D