[Complete] The Training of Wild Animals by Frank C. Bostock - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

The Training of Wild Animals, by Frank Charles Bostock (1866 - 1912)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-training-of-wild-animals-by-frank-charles-bostock/

Today, performing animals are frowned on by many but in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, traveling menageries afforded entertainment for the masses. The Bostock family were famous in England at the time, for traveling around the country with a bevy of wild animals, many not seen before in provincial towns. If these animals could be trained to perform "tricks", rather than behave more naturally, so much the better. This volume gives an insight into the training and care of assorted animals. (Summary by Lynne Thompson)
Source text (please read only from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/61589

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 13
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1903
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Animals

Keywords that describe the book: training, circus, wild animals, lions, menagerie

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Training of Wild Animals. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Training of Wild Animals, by Frank Charles Bostock. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Training of Wild Animals, by Frank Charles Bostock."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: wildanimals_##_bostock_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. wildanimals_01_bostock_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: lt - Lynnet

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

May I read Chapter 1? Do you also want the Editor's Note and Preface as part of that section?

Thanks, Todd
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

ToddHW wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 4:09 pm May I read Chapter 1? Do you also want the Editor's Note and Preface as part of that section?

Thanks, Todd
It’s yours.
I was thinking not, but I leave it to your discretion 8-)
keyfeather

Post by keyfeather »

Hello!

I'd like to read chapter 9: How Wild Animals are Taught Tricks
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

keyfeather wrote: April 4th, 2021, 9:45 am Hello!

I'd like to read chapter 9: How Wild Animals are Taught Tricks
Hi and welcome to Librivox!
There are a few things to do before you get started.
You will need to complete a one minute test - this is to check your specs are up to Librivox standards, and if not, you'll be given hints on how to remedy that. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test
Please post your test in the Listeners Wanted forum (see the dropdown at the bottom of the page) for the speediest response. Waiting for the OK may seem tedious, but can save time in the long run. Your section will be held for 1 month pending your test. Please keep in touch if there is a problem.
You will also need to be added to the catalog of readers. I will add you using your forum name, but if you prefer your real name or a pseudonym let me know. We can also link to a personal blog or website. If you click on your name in the Magic Window, you will be taken to your catalog page.Be sure to read the first post - all the info you need is there, but if anything doesn't make sense, just ask. The wiki (see the top of the page) has bundles of info too.
Lynne
fernfern

Post by fernfern »

Hi,
I have only moments ago uploaded a 1-minute test and so am still awaiting feedback.

Provided I can comply with whatever feedback I receive, please may I read chapter 4, The Feeding of Snakes and Elephants?

If it helps my case (I am certain it doesn't!) I used to work in a snake petshop so I have at least partial first-hand experience with the topic :D

Thanks,
Fern
Darius6

Post by Darius6 »

I would like to read chapter 2 Origin and History of Wild-Animal Training.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

fernfern wrote: April 9th, 2021, 2:03 pm Hi,
I have only moments ago uploaded a 1-minute test and so am still awaiting feedback.

Provided I can comply with whatever feedback I receive, please may I read chapter 4, The Feeding of Snakes and Elephants?

If it helps my case (I am certain it doesn't!) I used to work in a snake petshop so I have at least partial first-hand experience with the topic :D

Thanks,
Fern
:lol: You’ll be able to tell us how accurate it is 8-)
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Darius6 wrote: April 9th, 2021, 3:11 pm I would like to read chapter 2 Origin and History of Wild-Animal Training.
Hi and welcome to Librivox!
There are a few things to do before you get started.
You will need to complete a one minute test - this is to check your specs are up to Librivox standards, and if not, you'll be given hints on how to remedy that. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test
Please post your test in the Listeners Wanted forum (see the dropdown at the bottom of the page) for the speediest response. Waiting for the OK may seem tedious, but can save time in the long run. Your section will be held for 1 month pending your test. Please keep in touch if there is a problem.
You will also need to be added to the catalog of readers. I will add you using your forum name, but if you prefer your real name or a pseudonym let me know. We can also link to a personal blog or website. If you click on your name in the Magic Window, you will be taken to your catalog page.Be sure to read the first post - all the info you need is there, but if anything doesn't make sense, just ask. The wiki (see the top of the page) has bundles of info too.
Lynne
Cheops911

Post by Cheops911 »

I'd be happy to DPL this project. :)
"I've always talked to myself, now I just hit record beforehand..."
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Cheops911 wrote: April 11th, 2021, 7:59 am I'd be happy to DPL this project. :)
Great.

Edit: it seems you haven’t DPLd before. Please be sure to read the Guide to Prooflistening.

I’ll send instructions for accessing the MW separately.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Accessing the System – First Time Login
1. Use this Link to go the main login screen: http://librivox.org/workflow
2. Click on Login (for BCs & MCs)
3. Enter your forum username.
4. Click “Forgot Password”
5. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. Click the link and enter a password and submit the form. (Note this should be more secure than your 'regular' password)
6. Go back to the main login screen and use the new password you entered above to log in to the system.
7. When you log in from the main screen above, you will be taken to the LibriVox Management Dashboard default screen where you should see a list of your active projects along with options for dropdown menus, searching and editing your profile. (more on this later)
For more explicit step by step directions with screen shots, please see Accessing the System - First Time Login
NOTE: BCs should use their personal workflow login to upload files. If you recently logged in with the general login to upload files to a project and the system still had you logged in, you may see this:
You don't have permissions for this area.
Return to Librivox Management Tool Homepage
Logout
To remedy this, click Logout and then login with your BC login and password.

Please note, this doesn't always work the first time.

If you are still having trouble after 3 or 4 attempts, PM knotyouraveragejo

You will be mainly concerned with the right hand column, which is a drop down menu. It is essential you keep this up to date.
I always add “see notes p.6” etc. in the notes column. This can save a lot of time. You have to hit save here.
Theginmann

Post by Theginmann »

Hi there, was wondering if I could do Chapter 3?
Thanks, Gini Rosario
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Theginmann wrote: April 11th, 2021, 3:26 pm Hi there, was wondering if I could do Chapter 3?
Thanks, Gini Rosario
Sure!
lisajablow

Post by lisajablow »

I would like to read Chapter 5.

LNJ