[Complete] Joan and Peter by H.G. Wells - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
elibishop

Post by elibishop »

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

elibishop wrote: April 17th, 2021, 4:57 pm Section 18 - Adolescence, part 2 (28:21)

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/joanandpeter_18_wells_128kb.mp3
Thank you
dance2morn

Post by dance2morn »

Hi Lynette,

Here is Section 29. https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/_joanandpeter_29_wells_128kb.mp3

I will work on fixing 28 later today if I have time. Two things, the recommended mike I bought is mentioned on the Wikipedia page for librivox. Also, the idea of saying something loud then cutting it out to fix my problem of the mike not picking up is something I picked up from watching the librivox YouTube. It seems to have worked. I don't rock, but if I stop and start, the first word never gets picked up. So, if I say the first word twice then cut the first one, it seems to work.

A question. I recorded what we are calling "section 29" but Wells has it as section 7, I believe, within a chapter. I was not sure how to refer to it.

Thanks for putting up with my newbie questions! :shock:
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

dance2morn wrote: April 18th, 2021, 7:18 am Hi Lynette,

Here is Section 29. https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/_joanandpeter_29_wells_128kb.mp3

I will work on fixing 28 later today if I have time. Two things, the recommended mike I bought is mentioned on the Wikipedia page for librivox. Also, the idea of saying something loud then cutting it out to fix my problem of the mike not picking up is something I picked up from watching the librivox YouTube. It seems to have worked. I don't rock, but if I stop and start, the first word never gets picked up. So, if I say the first word twice then cut the first one, it seems to work.

A question. I recorded what we are calling "section 29" but Wells has it as section 7, I believe, within a chapter. I was not sure how to refer to it.

Thank you.
I’m not sure who wrote the Wikipedia page (I didn’t even know we had one...) but my comments about mics stand. What did you buy? The main thing is to not use your computers internal mic.
As for numbering, we always go by the section numbers in the Magic Window. Numbering within chapters are “parts”... so the correct introduction would be “section 29 The World on the Eve of the War Part 7“

Nothing needs to be done to section 28.
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

Lynnet wrote: April 14th, 2021, 9:15 am Section 33 PL OK
Hi!
Shouldn`t the file`s name be "joanandpeter_33_wells_128kb.mp3"?
Thanx!
Alexander ❤ HandmadePSK ❤ About me ◀◀◀ (readable)
🦋 Aspire to inspire before we expire! 🦄
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

The similar question - about sections 1 and others, having some varieties in the files` names - as "128kbps, 128kb0" etc instead of "128kb", as indicated.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

HandmadePSK wrote: April 18th, 2021, 8:04 am
Lynnet wrote: April 14th, 2021, 9:15 am Section 33 PL OK
Hi!
Shouldn`t the file`s name be "joanandpeter_33_wells_128kb.mp3"?
Thanx!
I can correct all files at cataloguing, which is easier than doing each piecemeal (that involves correcting them in 2 places; doing it at cataloguing is one click for all).
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

elibishop wrote: April 17th, 2021, 4:57 pm Section 18 - Adolescence, part 2 (28:21)

Hi! 🐢

Excuse me, but don`t you read here part 7, instead of part 2?
§ 7
The modern world tells the young a score of conflicting stories—more or less distinctly—about every essential thing...
elibishop

Post by elibishop »

HandmadePSK wrote: April 19th, 2021, 12:52 pm

Hi! 🐢

Excuse me, but don`t you read here part 7, instead of part 2?
§ 7
The modern world tells the young a score of conflicting stories—more or less distinctly—about every essential thing...
No - the numbers in the text are not the section numbers that we're dividing this book up into for LibriVox. The numbered sections in the book are mostly quite short, so the first 6 of them fit into what we're calling "Adolescence, part 1".
elibishop

Post by elibishop »

(HandmadePSK: Whoops, sorry, in case you saw my original follow-up comment about downloading the files, that was my mistake because I was thinking you were a reader rather than a PL. However, I think I'm correct about the numbered parts. The "7" there is an inter-title within the text.)
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

elibishop wrote: April 19th, 2021, 12:54 pm No - the numbers in the text are not the section numbers that we're dividing this book up into for LibriVox. The numbered sections in the book are mostly quite short, so the first 6 of them fit into what we're calling "Adolescence, part 1".
Okay, thanx! 👍
elibishop

Post by elibishop »

@Lynnet, please correct me if I'm wrong about the numbers but this was the understanding I had gotten from all the previous discussion. Wells uses these numbered sections pretty freely, and if we were dividing things up that way, some of the files would be about a minute long— so it seemed to me that you were saying I should divide up chapter 11 into 6 parts of roughly equal length. The breakdown I've been using is that is numbers 1-6 are in "chapter 11 part 1", 7-10 in part 2, 11-15 in part 3, 16-18 in part 4, 19-21 in part 5, 22-23 in part 6.
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

elibishop wrote: April 19th, 2021, 1:04 pm @Lynnet, please correct me if I'm wrong about the numbers but this was the understanding I had gotten from all the previous discussion. Wells uses these numbered sections pretty freely, and if we were dividing things up that way, some of the files would be about a minute long— so it seemed to me that you were saying I should divide up chapter 11 into 6 parts of roughly equal length. The breakdown I've been using is that is numbers 1-6 are in "chapter 11 part 1", 7-10 in part 2, 11-15 in part 3, 16-18 in part 4, 19-21 in part 5, 22-23 in part 6.
Great, thanx!
Sec 18 PL OK. Well done! 👍
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Use the section numbers and chapter titles in the Magic Window.
So section 18 should be “ section 18 Adolescence Part 2... 7....”
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

dance2morn wrote: April 18th, 2021, 7:18 am Hi Lynette,

Hi! 🌹

Sec 29 PL notes:
An unnecessary underscore at the beginning of the file`s name.
Start of recording is a little “swallowed”. However, I suppose, this hasn`t to be corrected here, but to bear in mind for the future recordings.
00:07 – I hear “Joan and Peter, by H. G. Wells”, instead of simply “Joan and Peter”
00:30 – considerable volume`s decrease
00:31 – I hear “Joan and Peter, by H. G. Wells. Section 7”, but I believe that “Section Title, part number” should be read as:
The World on the Eve of the War Part 7; am I right?
02:19 - considerable volume`s decrease, sort of sound gap
11:37 – end of section 29, section 7 – I believe it must be called “part 7”, just as at the beginning of the recording. Moreover, the project`s disclaimer asks only for:
"End of section #."
And no Section Title, part number.

There`s about 8 sec of silence at the end and there are only ~5 sec needed.

Being not absolutely sure about importance of all of these changes, I ask to take a look at these notes to some experienced librivoxer present here. Please)

Moreover, having looked at the clever division into parts of the previous chapter (Adolescence), I can`t figure out well this chapter`s division in sections. As far as I see, in the MW there is only 1 section remained – section 30 (The World on the Eve of the War Part 8). But in the book, this chapter has parts 8, 9, 10 and 11.
If all of them will be read as the MW`s section 30 (The World on the Eve of the War Part 8), it will be really much larger than this section… Is it all right? :hmm:
Thanx!

Cheers & blessings 🌞