[group] The Tale of Solomon Owl - philc

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Post Reply
loon
Posts: 1043
Joined: December 31st, 2016, 9:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Post by loon » February 20th, 2021, 2:11 pm

philchenevert wrote:
February 20th, 2021, 1:33 pm
Sorry for the long delay in responding. The freezing weather took out our internet connection for the last six days. Your test is good and you definitely have the OK t o record lots and lots. We do not have a process set up like you describe but that would be a great thing to add, right? Go forth and record!!
Phil didn't go away - the world went offline for six days.

smile and wave: Hi Phil!
Rich Brown
FullLoon.com

jbcampo
Posts: 28
Joined: January 31st, 2010, 2:41 pm
Location: Acton, MA USA

Post by jbcampo » February 20th, 2021, 2:19 pm

loon wrote:
February 19th, 2021, 3:39 pm
jbcampo wrote:
February 19th, 2021, 3:00 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/taleofsolomonowl_01_bailey_128kb.mp3

I uploaded chapter 01. file duration 5:12.
thanks.
Joseph Campo
Joseph - what you actually uploaded was your recording of Chapter 2. It still needs the volume boosted (a lot!) and the opening and closing silences adjusted - other than that it sounds good.
I uploaded the incorrect chapter 2 (not ready for review) instead of Chapter 1 (ready for review). Very sorry.
Here is the correct Chapter 1 for your review

Chapter 1. File duration 5:12

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/taleofsolomonowl_01_bailey_128kb.mp3

loon
Posts: 1043
Joined: December 31st, 2016, 9:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Post by loon » February 20th, 2021, 3:07 pm

jbcampo wrote:
February 20th, 2021, 2:19 pm
Chapter 1. File duration 5:12

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/taleofsolomonowl_01_bailey_128kb.mp3
Chapter 1 - Scaring Johnny Greene - PL OK.
Marked in the magic window and a nice start for this book.

We had our own Solomon Owl last summer - trying to sleep in a tree right outside our window until a pair of crows harassed him/her until he/she flew off.
https://fullloon.com/SolomonOwl.jpg
(Sleeping with one eye open?)
Rich Brown
FullLoon.com

jbcampo
Posts: 28
Joined: January 31st, 2010, 2:41 pm
Location: Acton, MA USA

Post by jbcampo » February 21st, 2021, 9:51 am

loon wrote:
February 20th, 2021, 3:07 pm
jbcampo wrote:
February 20th, 2021, 2:19 pm
Chapter 1. File duration 5:12

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/taleofsolomonowl_01_bailey_128kb.mp3
Chapter 1 - Scaring Johnny Greene - PL OK.
Marked in the magic window and a nice start for this book.

We had our own Solomon Owl last summer - trying to sleep in a tree right outside our window until a pair of crows harassed him/her until he/she flew off.
https://fullloon.com/SolomonOwl.jpg
(Sleeping with one eye open?)
Nice picture. Love owls. Love the Guardian of Gahooles series. Used to read them at night to our son. He was big into owls when young. tks for the check and feedback. I'll work on getting Ch2 uploaded today. tks. JoeC

jbcampo
Posts: 28
Joined: January 31st, 2010, 2:41 pm
Location: Acton, MA USA

Post by jbcampo » February 21st, 2021, 10:25 am

jbcampo wrote:
February 21st, 2021, 9:51 am
loon wrote:
February 20th, 2021, 3:07 pm
jbcampo wrote:
February 20th, 2021, 2:19 pm
Chapter 1. File duration 5:12

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/taleofsolomonowl_01_bailey_128kb.mp3
Chapter 1 - Scaring Johnny Greene - PL OK.
Marked in the magic window and a nice start for this book.

We had our own Solomon Owl last summer - trying to sleep in a tree right outside our window until a pair of crows harassed him/her until he/she flew off.
https://fullloon.com/SolomonOwl.jpg
(Sleeping with one eye open?)
Nice picture. Love owls. Love the Guardian of Gahooles series. Used to read them at night to our son. He was big into owls when young. tks for the check and feedback. I'll work on getting Ch2 uploaded today. tks. JoeC
Uploaded Ch2.
Chapter 2, a newcomer. file duration: 4:25
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/taleofsolomonowl_02_bailey_128kb.mp3
tks. Joe Campo

loon
Posts: 1043
Joined: December 31st, 2016, 9:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Post by loon » February 21st, 2021, 11:55 am

jbcampo wrote:
February 21st, 2021, 10:25 am

Chapter 2, a newcomer. file duration: 4:25
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/taleofsolomonowl_02_bailey_128kb.mp3
Joe -

Chapter 2 is PL OK.

As a note - your level in this chapter came close to the LibriVox maximum. You could lower the overall volume of future chapters (I'm confident you'll have many of those) by 2 or 2.5 dB to get to the middle of the LibriVox range.

Thank you and keep reading!

The Tale of Solomon Owl is now over 80% complete.
Rich Brown
FullLoon.com

LittleRoo2020
Posts: 20
Joined: January 5th, 2021, 11:54 am

Post by LittleRoo2020 » February 24th, 2021, 4:25 pm

Hi there-

Sorry for delay...recovering from hard drive crash. Here is latest with corrections (and no additional issues):)

Meg T.
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/taleofsolomonowl_06_bailey_128kb.mp3
It is 4:38 in duration

loon
Posts: 1043
Joined: December 31st, 2016, 9:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Post by loon » February 24th, 2021, 6:34 pm

Meg -
Hard disk crash - never a welcome thing. Ouch, ouch, ouch.

Chapter 6 has one flaw that will need to be fixed before it can get the OK. The silence at the beginning is a bit over 2.5 seconds but it should be half a second (maybe up to a full second, but never anything more than that). If you can edit 2 seconds off the beginning of the chapter and upload again you'll be in fine feather (just like Solomon). The chapter is See PL notes until then.
Rich Brown
FullLoon.com

LittleRoo2020
Posts: 20
Joined: January 5th, 2021, 11:54 am

Post by LittleRoo2020 » February 24th, 2021, 7:14 pm


loon
Posts: 1043
Joined: December 31st, 2016, 9:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Post by loon » February 25th, 2021, 10:51 am

Meg -
The beginning silence is still around 1.4 seconds - you need to trim more off.
In Audacity, J takes you to the beginning of the track, Ctrl-2 shows you a few words worth of the area, Ctrl-1 zooms in to a shorter and shorter portion of the track. Then you can really see what you're doing - you want half a second of silence before your first word.
Rich Brown
FullLoon.com

LittleRoo2020
Posts: 20
Joined: January 5th, 2021, 11:54 am

Post by LittleRoo2020 » February 25th, 2021, 12:16 pm


loon
Posts: 1043
Joined: December 31st, 2016, 9:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Post by loon » February 25th, 2021, 3:31 pm

Meg -
There you go - PL OK - thanks!
Rich Brown
FullLoon.com

LittleRoo2020
Posts: 20
Joined: January 5th, 2021, 11:54 am

Post by LittleRoo2020 » February 25th, 2021, 3:38 pm

5632 tries later...I don't stand a chance of a career in sound engineering.
Thanks for your patience.

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 20137
Joined: October 17th, 2010, 9:23 pm
Location: Basking by the Bayou
Contact:

Post by philchenevert » February 26th, 2021, 8:19 am

LittleRoo2020 wrote:
February 25th, 2021, 3:38 pm
5632 tries later...I don't stand a chance of a career in sound engineering.
Thanks for your patience.
Ah, the learning curve is indeed steep but I predict you will become very skilled. :D
All I'm saying is that the house doesn't fill up with annoying fruit flies when I buy donuts

Need Help? Check out these little videos: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos

mccoy2M2
Posts: 3
Joined: June 17th, 2020, 1:01 pm

Post by mccoy2M2 » February 26th, 2021, 7:50 pm

philchenevert wrote:
February 8th, 2021, 7:41 pm
mccoy2M2 wrote:
February 8th, 2021, 4:47 pm
Hello! I'd like to claim Section 16, please. I've read "Nine Fights," and it's really cute. Also, this will be my first recording through LibriVox, so I'd like to appear as "Meredith M" in the catalogue. Thank you!
Hi MCCOY2M2 and a big welcome to LibriVox! :D I have assigned that section to you but before you record it, please make and upload a 1 minute test to be sure your recording set up is OK. Instructions can be found in our Wiki and in the first post of this project but Here is a video that may help too: How to Make your 1 minute test.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlaRY_-bcfs and then How to Upload your 1 minute test How to Upload your 1 minute test

(You may post the link to your test in this forum and I will see it much more quickly)

I also recommend Getting To Know our Forums Getting To Know Our Forums

We just want to check out your technical specs. Don't forget to post the link either in this thread or in Listeners WAnted forum.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_mccoy2m2.mp3

This should be my test! It was great to review how to make and upload again because I think I did one over the summer when I first joined.
I'm sorry it's coming so late! I got some time tonight to pull out my mic and took care of it. I'll be immediately practicing and making the first draft of the chapter after I post this. I hope you're doing well!

Post Reply