[COMPLETE]Art of Conversation: 12 Golden Rules-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

The Art of Conversation: Twelve Golden Rules by Josephine Turck Baker (1864-1942).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-art-of-conversation-by-josephine-turck-baker/
Many of us find it challenging to speak to other people, for various reasons. Some of us are afraid of being called a bore. Others are worried that we will be accused of hogging attention. Many of us simply don't know what to talk about.<br><br>This book is an entertaining and enlightening manual that may be able to help. Through a series of twelve dialogues between a man and a woman, we are introduced to twelve "golden rules" that will help us navigate the waters of interpersonal communication. (Devorah Allen)
  1. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  2. Where do I find the text? Source text: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/63995

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =
    =
  3. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  4. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If your line is the first one in a section, please include for that file: At the beginning: "Section [number] of The Art of Conversation: Twelve Golden Rules, by Josephine Turck Baker. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org. Golden Rule Number [one, two, etc.]"

If your line is the last line in a section, please include for that file: At the end: "End of Section [number]."

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  5. AFTER recording
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3
    twelvegoldenrules_[role]_[##]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mightyfelix
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

A DPL is welcome if anyone is interested. But if we don't get one, I think Kevin and I could probably handle all the PLing needs.

Kevin, I think the best way to handle intros/outros (for the record, I hate that word :lol:) would be for the first speaker in each section to do the intro and the last speaker to do the ending. After a quick scan, I think that means you'll be doing the intro every time, but we'll each get to do the ending a few times.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Would the PLing happen after the sections are stitched together or before?

I’m so glad you guys decided to do this, this is gonna be fun!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Would someone have a listen before I charge on, please? I've likely botched something.

This project will be fun!

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/twelvegoldenrules_he_01_128kb.mp3 (3:16)
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Sounds good to me!

I think if I DPL tho I'd rather hear it all put together, it feels like I'd have to listen to it again to see if all the pauses sounded smooth and there wasn't too much or not enough gap between the lines to make them sound natural, if that makes sense?

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ColleenMc wrote: January 10th, 2021, 2:15 pm Sounds good to me!

I think if I DPL tho I'd rather hear it all put together, it feels like I'd have to listen to it again to see if all the pauses sounded smooth and there wasn't too much or not enough gap between the lines to make them sound natural, if that makes sense?

Colleen
Thanks again for suggesting this!

I think you haven't DPLed for a dramatic project before, is that right? Normally, parts are PLed both before and after they're stitched together. That way, the editor knows that they have everything they need and they won't have to track down a bunch of readers for missing or botched lines.

In this case, though, since there are only two voices, I think we can manage if you'd prefer to only hear the finished product. I can PL Kevin's files, and then you'll hear both his and mine together.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

That's perfect, Kevin! PL ok!

The one thing that we do need, I think, is a voice credit. "He, read by Kevin S." I'd considered whether would should say "The Man" and "The Woman," but really, I don't see why we shouldn't just stick to the pronouns as the book has them. Unless either of you feels differently?

You can just add this into the next one, though.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I have not done a dramatic reading before but I can PL it properly and listen to it both ways. Sign me up!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

KevinS

Post by KevinS »

He Section 2

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/twelvegoldenrules_he_02_128kb.mp3 (3:20)

I have placed the voice credit at the very end.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

ColleenMc wrote: January 11th, 2021, 9:30 am I have not done a dramatic reading before but I can PL it properly and listen to it both ways. Sign me up!

Colleen
So nice of you to volunteer!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yay! Thank you, Colleen. You're in! I'll send us over to Readers Found.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'm getting confused about section numbers. This one is for Rule 3 but has been shifted to Section 2.

However the MW changes, I assume I'm to make the section number the same as the rule number, correct? (Forgive me if I've botched it.)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

KevinS wrote: January 12th, 2021, 7:08 pm
I'm getting confused about section numbers. This one is for Rule 3 but has been shifted to Section 2.

However the MW changes, I assume I'm to make the section number the same as the rule number, correct? (Forgive me if I've botched it.)
Yes, the same as the rule number. It changed because I moved the PL ok section lower down in the MW. Sorry for the confusion.