(Complete) Modern Magic by Maximilian Schele de Vere - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
CaptainKetchup

Post by CaptainKetchup »

Modern Magic by Maximilian Schele de Vere (1820 - 1898).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/modern-magic-by-maximilian-schele-de-vere/

Abandoned solo. Opened as group project 3/27/2021
    M. (Maxamilian) Schele de Vere was born in Sweden in 1820 and studied language in Germany before eventually becoming a professor of modern language at the University of Virginia in 1844 where he would teach for more than 50 years. During his time as a professor, he would write many books, mostly focusing on language. One of his last works, being first published in 1873, "Modern Magic" instead focuses on the occult. From the preface: "The main purpose of our existence on earth—aside from the sacred and paramount duty of securing our salvation—is undoubtedly to make ourselves masters of the tangible world around us, as it stands revealed to our senses, and as it was expressly made subject to our will by the Creator. We are, however, at the same time, not left without information about the existence of certain laws and the occurrence of certain phenomena, which belong to a world not accessible to us by means of our ordinary senses, and which yet affect seriously our intercourse with Nature and our personal welfare... The least that we can do is to ascertain the precise nature of these laws, and, after stripping these phenomena of all that can be proved to be merely incidental or delusive, to compare them with each other, and to arrange them carefully according to some standard of classification" ( CaptainKetchup)
    • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/38448
    • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
      Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Maximilian Schele de Vere) : n/a
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 13
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    • Original publication date (if known): 1873
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Philosophy; *Non-fiction/Religion

Keywords that describe the book: magic, superstition, Occult, witchcraft

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of Modern Magic. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Modern Magic, by Maximilian Schele de Vere. [Section title]"

END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [section #]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Modern Magic, by Maximilian Schele de Vere. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename modernmagic_##_scheledevere_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. modernmagic_01_scheledevere_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below[/list]
    This is my first time doing a solo project, and my second project on the site overall, so any help would be appreciated! I look forward to working with everyone on this site now and in the future!
    Lynnet
    LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

OK, it's set up.

It looks like this is your first time as BC. I have added you to the list of BCs and can walk you through this  

First of all, near the top of the first post, probably to the right but it may be fairly central, depending on your browser, you will see a stubby little pencil icon. That is so you can edit the first post.

A few things to note:

Have you lined up a DPL? If not, you should add a tilde (~) to the subject line. If you have someone in mind, I will need to give him/her access to the MW. Don't worry if you have no one in mind. Someone will volunteer.

Secondly, at some point, you will be able to edit the summary. What you have looks fine, but you may wish to change things as you go on. Just let me know if you do.
    ** The spelling of the author's name is wrong here, so you should change that :D

Next, that whole section on id tags can be deleted. It's a throwback to our old software and anything you enter gets over-written. And it can cause problems at cataloguing... I've only had problems a couple of times, but I had to go through deleting them all (which took ages!)

You can change the file name at this point, but in this case, I wouldn't. It's nice and concise.

I will give you instructions for the MW in a separate post, but if you have questions, please ask.
    Lynne
    Lynnet
    LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Here are the instructions for logging in to the MW. It is the same for a DPL as for a BC. Please note, this only gives you access to the MW for projects where you are DPL or BC.

Accessing the System – First Time Login
    1. Use this Link to go the main login screen: http://librivox.org/workflow
    2. Click on Login (for BCs & MCs)
    3. Enter your forum username.
    4. Click “Forgot Password” 
    5. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. Click the link and enter a password and submit the form. (Note this should be more secure than your 'regular' password)
    6. Go back to the main login screen and use the new password you entered above to log in to the system. 
    7. When you log in from the main screen above, you will be taken to the LibriVox Management Dashboard default screen where you should see a list of your active projects along with options for dropdown menus, searching and editing your profile. (more on this later)
    For more explicit step by step directions with screen shots, please see Accessing the System - First Time Login 
    NOTE: BCs should use their personal workflow login to upload files. If you recently logged in with the general login to upload files to a project and the system still had you logged in, you may see this: 
    You don't have permissions for this area. 
    Return to Librivox Management Tool Homepage 
    Logout 
    To remedy this, click Logout and then login with your BC login and password. 

Please note, this doesn't always work the first time.

If you are still having trouble after 3 or 4 attempts, PM knotyouraveragejo

The MW is probably straightforward...
    I started entering the titles, to show you how it's done. No need for chapter numbers. Hit enter when you have finished typing. You can either go through entering them all now, or as you go on, one chapter at a time.

I have entered you as reader for all sections.

The notes column is where you put the time for each file. In this column, you have to 'save'.

Paste your URL from the uploader in the Listen URL column, hit enter. The Link column is automatically populated when you do this.

The status column is a drop-down menu. Remember to change the status whenever you upload a file. That triggers a message to Your DPL.

There is no need to paste the link in the thread, as you would for a group project, although many soloists do. Just post "I've uploaded chapter 8" will suffice.

I think that's it. Any questions, please ask.
    Have fun!

Oh yes, one more thing. It's on your schedule, but if life happens and you don't post for a couple of months, please post in the thread "I've been busy but still working on it" or something similar, so I don't think you've been abducted by aliens, and abandon the project .
    Lynnet
    LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Are you working on this?
    We have had interest from other readers. Please let me know what is happening by March 25 or I will treat is as abandoned.
    Lynnet
    LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

No word from soloist. Opening the project as a group project.
    Venice

Post by Venice »

Lynnet wrote: March 27th, 2021, 8:18 am No word from soloist. Opening the project as a group project.
    If you're having this as a group project, can I have section 1 please? I'm just awaiting for approval from my 1 minute test. Should be here by tomorrow or the next day.
    Good things happen to those who wait.
    Lynnet
    LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Venice wrote: March 28th, 2021, 12:18 am
    Lynnet wrote: March 27th, 2021, 8:18 am No word from soloist. Opening the project as a group project.
    If you're having this as a group project, can I have section 1 please? I'm just awaiting for approval from my 1 minute test. Should be here by tomorrow or the next day.
    Certainly
    Venice

Post by Venice »

Lynnet wrote: March 28th, 2021, 6:22 am
    Venice wrote: March 28th, 2021, 12:18 am
    Certainly
    Thank you! I just recieved the go signal from my 1 minute test and I just finished one section from another book. I'll do this now. Thank you!
    Good things happen to those who wait.
    DJRickyV

Post by DJRickyV »

I can read for sections 2 and 3 (the entire chapter 2 in 2 parts).
    “Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few are to be chewed and digested.” - Francis Bacon
    Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

I will claim Section 4, Dreams, please.

Owlivia/Deborah
    Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
    Lynnet
    LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

DJRickyV wrote: March 29th, 2021, 7:06 pm I can read for sections 2 and 3 (the entire chapter 2 in 2 parts).
    All yours
    Lynnet
    LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Owlivia wrote: March 29th, 2021, 7:16 pm I will claim Section 4, Dreams, please.

Owlivia/Deborah
    You’ve got it.
    DylanWClark

Post by DylanWClark »

I would like to read section 16
    Lynnet
    LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

DylanWClark wrote: April 1st, 2021, 5:02 pm I would like to read section 16
    Hi and welcome to Librivox!
    There are a few things to do before you get started.
    You will need to complete a one minute test - this is to check your specs are up to Librivox standards, and if not, you'll be given hints on how to remedy that. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test
    Please post your test in the Listeners Wanted forum (see the dropdown at the bottom of the page) for the speediest response. Waiting for the OK may seem tedious, but can save time in the long run. Your section will be held for 1 month pending your test. Please keep in touch if there is a problem.
    You will also need to be added to the catalog of readers. I will add you using your forum name, but if you prefer your real name or a pseudonym let me know. We can also link to a personal blog or website. If you click on your name in the Magic Window, you will be taken to your catalog page.Be sure to read the first post - all the info you need is there, but if anything doesn't make sense, just ask. The wiki (see the top of the page) has bundles of info too.
    Lynne