GJConover

Post by GJConover »

CLAIM Part II, Chapter 4

GJConover
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

alily wrote: January 8th, 2021, 4:36 am
knotyouraveragejo wrote: January 7th, 2021, 2:16 pm Lysa-

Assuming you are using Audacity, reopen your file in Audacity, then select the entire tract (Select All or ctrl-A), then under tracks select Mix- Mix stereo down to mono

For future recordings, set Audacity to record in mono as follows
Edit - Preferences - Devices
Under the Recording section you should see your microphone listed as the device. Under that set Channels to 1 (Mono).

With the track still highlighted, make the changes to volume and then add the silence to the end.

Reexport your recording to mp3. You set the bitrate at the bottom of the export window under Format Options.

Bit Rate Mode: Constant
Quality - select 128 kbps from the dropdown
Check the box to Force Export to mono

Hello Scarbo
i think i managed to make the change in volume now
i made all the other changes, i only just found the option to add silence, i had to adjust the amplification before :oops:

here's the new link, let me know if i need to modify it furthur
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/shipsthatpassinthenight-10-harreden-128kb.mp3
Thank you! The bit rate is great! There are just a few more adjustments to make:

- The file is still in stereo sound.

- The volume is still at 96 dB. In Audacity, if you go to Effect>Amplify, you can bring the volume down by entering a negative number. You can try -7 for this file.

- The file name should be shipsthatpassinthenight_10_harraden_128kb

There's one more thing that I noticed that I wanted to let you know about. You can keep it in mind for future recordings, but I don't think you would need to fix it in this recording unless you just wanted to. I noticed in Audacity that there was clipping in the waveform - that is, the tops of some of the peaks of the waveform were cut off, which can cause distortion. If I remember correctly, one way to prevent this in future recordings is to lower the recording volume (the bar on the left just above the pause and play buttons).

I'm happy to help if you have questions about the above! :)
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

GJConover wrote: January 8th, 2021, 1:21 pm CLAIM Part II, Chapter 4

GJConover
You're signed up, thank you!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
rerikaj

Post by rerikaj »

alily

Post by alily »

hello Scarbo

here's the new-new link for the what i'm hoping is a mono recording
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/shipsthatpassinthenight_10_harraden_128kb.mp3

btw, how come recordings are done in mono-sound? does it have to do something with headphone users or is there another reason?
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Thank you jrob1385, rerikaj, and Lysa for your chapters! Kevin will give them a listen shortly.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

alily wrote: January 9th, 2021, 4:21 am hello Scarbo

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/shipsthatpassinthenight_10_harraden_128kb.mp3

btw, how come recordings are done in mono-sound? does it have to do something with headphone users or is there another reason?
Thank you! You're almost there! There are just a few more adjustments to make:

- The volume is just slightly out of the target range at 93 dB. If you amplify it by -2 or -3, it should be fine.

- Checker says that it's mono, but it's still showing up as stereo in Audacity. I'm not sure why that is, but if you try going to Tracks>Mix>Mix Stereo Down to Mono in Audacity one more time, maybe that will fix it.

That's a good question about why the mono setting is required. I found a page on the LV wiki that says that mono recordings take up less space and are faster to download, and stereo isn't needed since LV files usually have a single voice.

Sarah
rerikaj

Post by rerikaj »

KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Scarbo wrote: January 9th, 2021, 5:18 am
alily wrote: January 9th, 2021, 4:21 am hello Scarbo

Thank you! You're almost there! There are just a few more adjustments to make:

- The volume is just slightly out of the target range at 93 dB. If you amplify it by -2 or -3, it should be fine.

- Checker says that it's mono, but it's still showing up as stereo in Audacity. I'm not sure why that is, but if you try going to Tracks>Mix>Mix Stereo Down to Mono in Audacity one more time, maybe that will fix it.

That's a good question about why the mono setting is required. I found a page on the LV wiki that says that mono recordings take up less space and are faster to download, and stereo isn't needed since LV files usually have a single voice.
I had some extra time so thought I might have a listen. This is a nice recording but it has some technical problems which we may not be able to entirely repair. But I'm certain we can get to a level of listening enjoyment that all will appreciate.

The first problem here is that your recording has a good deal of what is call DC Bias. This can be repaired with the normalize function, to a good extent, but it should be done before any editing takes place of any kind. Ideally, you will be able to discover what is causing the DC Bias, but that is a little beyond my capabilities. It involves wiring problems, I believe, or the presence of interference close to your microphone.

Because there is this DC Bias, adjusting the volume of your recording or use of the compression effect may give this clipping that Scarbo explains.

Right now your volumes are a bit irregular, but I don't think it all needs to be concerted. This is a problem at 8:01 that is dramatic, however, and I have a note regarding 11:29, also.

Please add a little bit of silence at the very beginning of your recording. We ask that there by a half-second to one second of silence.

Finally, please listen to the repeats and slight glitches at 1:10, 10:28, 12:24, and 13:18. These can be very easily fixed.

One final note would be to watch out for puffs of breath forced onto the microphone. I think this is occurring, but it's hard for me to know if these sounds are related to the clipping.

I know I am writing a lot, but I did like the recording and you added some charming expression to your voice.

Please don't be discouraged as Scarbo and I are here to help.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Oh, regarding mono vs. stereo, one reason this is done is to accommodate those who use one earphone or even those who share a listening device. The recording needs to be the same for both right and left channels so that nothing is lost in any listening session.
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Thank you, Kevin! And, Lysa, I'm happy to help where I can, so as Kevin says, please don't be discouraged.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Sarah
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

rerikaj wrote: January 8th, 2021, 4:17 pm Here's Section 19. Length is 8:09

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/shipsthatpassinthenight_19_harraden_128kb.mp3
PL OK!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Scarbo wrote: January 9th, 2021, 6:19 pm Here's section 22: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/shipsthatpassinthenight_22_harraden_128kb.mp3
2:08

Thank you!
PL OK!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Magic Window updated.