[COMPLETE][Short Stories]The Black Cat Vol. 01 No. 11 August 1896 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 26605
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » December 18th, 2020, 3:47 am

AngeliqueAnja wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 3:59 pm
Here's section 5 for you!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0111aug1896_5_various_128kb.mp3
thank you for this fast turn-around, Annie :shock: And oh, it was a wonderful story to start out with. I pitied those eagles in a cage and was preparing for a depressing story, but then they got released and I was so happy :9: The dying man's rant was a bit hard to swallow (you did it awfully well) but the moral of the story, that freedom is the most important thing, is something dear to my heart. I loved it.

Excellently narrated too. :) Only one small bit to adjust, before you are completely done:

> at 0:01: "section 5 of the black cat" – you say "section 1" for some reason

Oh and please, for group projects, always add the length of the file to your post, so I can update the MW accordingly.

Thank you

Sonia

AngeliqueAnja
Posts: 140
Joined: December 2nd, 2020, 11:43 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Post by AngeliqueAnja » December 18th, 2020, 12:53 pm

Kitty wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 3:47 am

thank you for this fast turn-around, Annie :shock: And oh, it was a wonderful story to start out with. I pitied those eagles in a cage and was preparing for a depressing story, but then they got released and I was so happy :9: The dying man's rant was a bit hard to swallow (you did it awfully well) but the moral of the story, that freedom is the most important thing, is something dear to my heart. I loved it.

Excellently narrated too. :)
I'm really glad that you liked it. I wasn't sure if I might have gone over board... I just know that I hate monotone readers when listening to audiobooks and while I'm not particularly talented, I'm experimenting...
Kitty wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 3:47 am

> at 0:01: "section 5 of the black cat" – you say "section 1" for some reason
Oops, how silly of me!
Kitty wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 3:47 am

Oh and please, for group projects, always add the length of the file to your post, so I can update the MW accordingly.
Will do, so sorry about that!

Here's the new version: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0111aug1896_5_various_128kb.mp3

Annie

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 26605
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » December 18th, 2020, 1:18 pm

AngeliqueAnja wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 12:53 pm
I'm really glad that you liked it. I wasn't sure if I might have gone over board... I just know that I hate monotone readers when listening to audiobooks and while I'm not particularly talented, I'm experimenting...
I'm a bit of a drama queen myself, so I absolutely enjoy dramatic readings in character. Experiment away ;) and you know there are always stage plays where you can let rip :lol: since you are already in the Western mood, you may want to check out our new play set in the Wild West if I'm not mistaken: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=84313
Will do, so sorry about that!
Here's the new version: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0111aug1896_5_various_128kb.mp3
you forgot again ;)

In any case, it's now PL ok, perfectly corrected. Thanks !!! And maybe I'll hear you in the next Black Cat. If you stay bookmarked to this thread, I'll announce when I launch next. It usually happens when we are only waiting for the final section to come in.

Sonia

AngeliqueAnja
Posts: 140
Joined: December 2nd, 2020, 11:43 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Post by AngeliqueAnja » December 18th, 2020, 1:38 pm

Kitty wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 1:18 pm

you forgot again ;)
*face palm* Sorry!

smithjeanb
Posts: 75
Joined: September 10th, 2020, 4:05 pm

Post by smithjeanb » December 20th, 2020, 4:09 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcatvol01no11august1896_03_various_128kb.mp3 Length - 19:28

Sonia - you'll be glad to hear that I finally remembered to cut off the extra silence at the end :)

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 26605
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » December 21st, 2020, 8:55 am

smithjeanb wrote:
December 20th, 2020, 4:09 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcatvol01no11august1896_03_various_128kb.mp3 Length - 19:28

Sonia - you'll be glad to hear that I finally remembered to cut off the extra silence at the end :)
:lol: :thumbs: and aww what a romantic story. I simply knew he had gained the girl when he stepped on that box 8-) Beautiful narration and flawlessly PL ok. Thanks, Jean. I hope to hear you in another project again soon.

Only careful with the file name which is not exactly as I pointed out in my example. But no need to reupload, I'll correct it in my folder now.

Happy holidays, all !

Sonia

queenk8
Posts: 686
Joined: July 5th, 2016, 7:23 pm
Location: Everett, WA
Contact:

Post by queenk8 » December 28th, 2020, 9:20 pm

Section 1 is ready for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0111aug1896_1_various_128kb.mp3
Time is 44:44

There is a footnote in the story, which I added to the end. I can easily move it or remove it if needed.
And, I'm still a little disappointed with the contents of the mysterious card, but more understanding of the response of his loved ones. He really should have learned some French.
Kate Follis
I love to read, AND my employer matches my volunteer hours with a donation to the Internet Archive, flagged to benefit Librivox.org. How cool is that?

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 26605
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » December 29th, 2020, 3:06 pm

queenk8 wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 9:20 pm
Section 1 is ready for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0111aug1896_1_various_128kb.mp3
Time is 44:44

There is a footnote in the story, which I added to the end. I can easily move it or remove it if needed.
And, I'm still a little disappointed with the contents of the mysterious card, but more understanding of the response of his loved ones. He really should have learned some French.
the most awaited story of the Black Cat since the first Mysterious Card :lol: And I must say, I was not disappointed at all. I couldn't fathom what could be so horrible but then I made the mistake of excluding anything supernatural. So this explanation actually made sense. Even though, still...I think, even as wife or friend, I would at least have told the poor man that he was possessed. Ok maybe they didn't think about this...well I would have told him what I saw, what was written in French, and thought he had a double-personality problem and needed to seek help. But not leave him in this eternal doubt, and going on doing evil.

I also cannot believe that this guy never ever took out a French dictionary and translated the three sentences word by word. Couldn't have been that hard.

Well...in any case, brilliant reading, and your dying man's speech was so heart-rendingly narrated. :( Loved it.

What was the most creepy thing about all this was that since the murder on the docks where the man got shot, I all of a sudden had the feeling that I had read the story before. (this is no joke, I wish it was) Or a similar one at least. From that point on I somehow wasn't surprised anymore by the Indian showing up, by the photos showing his evil side. I had complete deja-vu. I have forgotten where, but I think I read it before. But I think it was another story which only stole the whole plot. :hmm: And I will really try to find back that story now :lol:

I have two small things to correct:

> at 8:16: (p. 4) "it had been found at about 2 o'clock in the morning" - you forgot "found", which makes the sentence incomplete somehow

> at 27:52: (p. 11) "we had taken near the Parc Monteau" - I think I hear "père" instead of "parc"

Thank you so much, Kate. It was wonderful that you volunteered to read the sequel as well. Somehow it makes the continuity even completer.

Have a great end of year...and a good start in the new one.

Sonia

queenk8
Posts: 686
Joined: July 5th, 2016, 7:23 pm
Location: Everett, WA
Contact:

Post by queenk8 » December 29th, 2020, 9:15 pm

Kitty wrote:
December 29th, 2020, 3:06 pm
queenk8 wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 9:20 pm
Section 1 is ready for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0111aug1896_1_various_128kb.mp3
Time is 44:44

There is a footnote in the story, which I added to the end. I can easily move it or remove it if needed.
And, I'm still a little disappointed with the contents of the mysterious card, but more understanding of the response of his loved ones. He really should have learned some French.
the most awaited story of the Black Cat since the first Mysterious Card :lol: And I must say, I was not disappointed at all. I couldn't fathom what could be so horrible but then I made the mistake of excluding anything supernatural. So this explanation actually made sense. Even though, still...I think, even as wife or friend, I would at least have told the poor man that he was possessed. Ok maybe they didn't think about this...well I would have told him what I saw, what was written in French, and thought he had a double-personality problem and needed to seek help. But not leave him in this eternal doubt, and going on doing evil.

I also cannot believe that this guy never ever took out a French dictionary and translated the three sentences word by word. Couldn't have been that hard.

Well...in any case, brilliant reading, and your dying man's speech was so heart-rendingly narrated. :( Loved it.

What was the most creepy thing about all this was that since the murder on the docks where the man got shot, I all of a sudden had the feeling that I had read the story before. (this is no joke, I wish it was) Or a similar one at least. From that point on I somehow wasn't surprised anymore by the Indian showing up, by the photos showing his evil side. I had complete deja-vu. I have forgotten where, but I think I read it before. But I think it was another story which only stole the whole plot. :hmm: And I will really try to find back that story now :lol:

I have two small things to correct:

> at 8:16: (p. 4) "it had been found at about 2 o'clock in the morning" - you forgot "found", which makes the sentence incomplete somehow

> at 27:52: (p. 11) "we had taken near the Parc Monteau" - I think I hear "père" instead of "parc"

Thank you so much, Kate. It was wonderful that you volunteered to read the sequel as well. Somehow it makes the continuity even completer.

Have a great end of year...and a good start in the new one.

Sonia
Thanks so much, Sonia. I'll get those corrections in this week. I actually did a long pause on "parc" trying to decide between a smudge and an e, so glad you could tell which is right! I also thought the story seemed familiar, but I've read so many at this point it's hard to keep them straight at times. Maybe one of those Barry Pain stories.
Kate Follis
I love to read, AND my employer matches my volunteer hours with a donation to the Internet Archive, flagged to benefit Librivox.org. How cool is that?

queenk8
Posts: 686
Joined: July 5th, 2016, 7:23 pm
Location: Everett, WA
Contact:

Post by queenk8 » January 2nd, 2021, 3:28 pm

queenk8 wrote:
December 29th, 2020, 9:15 pm
Kitty wrote:
December 29th, 2020, 3:06 pm
queenk8 wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 9:20 pm
Section 1 is ready for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0111aug1896_1_various_128kb.mp3
Time is 44:44

There is a footnote in the story, which I added to the end. I can easily move it or remove it if needed.
And, I'm still a little disappointed with the contents of the mysterious card, but more understanding of the response of his loved ones. He really should have learned some French.
the most awaited story of the Black Cat since the first Mysterious Card :lol: And I must say, I was not disappointed at all. I couldn't fathom what could be so horrible but then I made the mistake of excluding anything supernatural. So this explanation actually made sense. Even though, still...I think, even as wife or friend, I would at least have told the poor man that he was possessed. Ok maybe they didn't think about this...well I would have told him what I saw, what was written in French, and thought he had a double-personality problem and needed to seek help. But not leave him in this eternal doubt, and going on doing evil.

I also cannot believe that this guy never ever took out a French dictionary and translated the three sentences word by word. Couldn't have been that hard.

Well...in any case, brilliant reading, and your dying man's speech was so heart-rendingly narrated. :( Loved it.

What was the most creepy thing about all this was that since the murder on the docks where the man got shot, I all of a sudden had the feeling that I had read the story before. (this is no joke, I wish it was) Or a similar one at least. From that point on I somehow wasn't surprised anymore by the Indian showing up, by the photos showing his evil side. I had complete deja-vu. I have forgotten where, but I think I read it before. But I think it was another story which only stole the whole plot. :hmm: And I will really try to find back that story now :lol:

I have two small things to correct:

> at 8:16: (p. 4) "it had been found at about 2 o'clock in the morning" - you forgot "found", which makes the sentence incomplete somehow

> at 27:52: (p. 11) "we had taken near the Parc Monteau" - I think I hear "père" instead of "parc"

Thank you so much, Kate. It was wonderful that you volunteered to read the sequel as well. Somehow it makes the continuity even completer.

Have a great end of year...and a good start in the new one.

Sonia
Thanks so much, Sonia. I'll get those corrections in this week. I actually did a long pause on "parc" trying to decide between a smudge and an e, so glad you could tell which is right! I also thought the story seemed familiar, but I've read so many at this point it's hard to keep them straight at times. Maybe one of those Barry Pain stories.
Edited version is now available: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0111aug1896_1_various_128kb.mp3
New time is 44:46
I'm not super happy with my splices, but the words are right now. :?
Kate Follis
I love to read, AND my employer matches my volunteer hours with a donation to the Internet Archive, flagged to benefit Librivox.org. How cool is that?

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 26605
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » January 3rd, 2021, 2:41 am

queenk8 wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 3:28 pm
Edited version is now available: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0111aug1896_1_various_128kb.mp3
New time is 44:46
I'm not super happy with my splices, but the words are right now. :?
I think the patches were excellently inserted, I wouldn't hear a change in tone of audio. :thumbs: I personally always re-do the entire sentence, or part of the sentence where I made a natural breathing break. I know some people only patch in that one word, but I was never able to do to make it sound flawless :lol:

Absolutely PL ok now, thank you so much. Once we have one more story in (Julie's or Derek's) I'll launch the next Black Cat. So everybody who is interested, stay bookmarked here and you'll get the advance notice link to the new project ;)

Sonia

JulieB3
Posts: 80
Joined: December 12th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Post by JulieB3 » January 6th, 2021, 6:42 am

I can definitely say I admire Mrs. Bilger. That was one determined widow. I hope you enjoy it.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0111aug1896_2_various_128kb.mp3 13:37

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 26605
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » January 7th, 2021, 10:45 am

JulieB3 wrote:
January 6th, 2021, 6:42 am
I can definitely say I admire Mrs. Bilger. That was one determined widow. I hope you enjoy it.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0111aug1896_2_various_128kb.mp3 13:37
wonderful, Julie, thank you and yes, I enjoyed her stubborness against big corporations as well 8-) :thumbs: I am always rooting for the underdog against the big shots. A very enjoyable story (not so much for the cow though).

Absolutely PL ok. Loved the lively reading, especially Mrs Bilger's drawl which you did convincingly.

And since there is only one section left to come in that means it's the starting shot for the next issue :9:

Here is the link to the 12th magazine. 6 stories this time. Hope to hear from many of you again !

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=84751


Sonia

MrTurttle
Posts: 7
Joined: December 13th, 2020, 9:26 pm

Post by MrTurttle » January 13th, 2021, 7:10 pm

Sorry for the delay, life happened unfortunately. However I just uploaded my recording here: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0111aug1896_4_various_128kb.mp3 ! It's 12:08.

I love how this story lets you get to know Timmy like you're one of the workers at the Post. It makes the ending that much better! :clap:

Also please please please let me know if anything can be improved. I bet there's tons of stuff :lol:

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 26605
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » January 14th, 2021, 1:18 am

MrTurttle wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 7:10 pm
Sorry for the delay, life happened unfortunately. However I just uploaded my recording here: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0111aug1896_4_various_128kb.mp3 ! It's 12:08.
I love how this story lets you get to know Timmy like you're one of the workers at the Post. It makes the ending that much better! :clap:
well...I had tears in my eyes by the end of the story. Why oh why does it so often have to end with a death. Especially now he was looking forward to his holidays. :( I prefer happy endings.

Nevertheless...congrats to your first official recording, Derek. It was wonderfully narrated, fluently, accurately, nice diction, easy to listen to and understand. :thumbs: I really enjoyed the narrative (despite the sad ending). And I do hope to hear you in one of the next Black Cats again. :9: (in fact there is still ONE section left in Black Cat 12 which is currently running, in case you're interested, you have to be quick ;) )
Also please please please let me know if anything can be improved. I bet there's tons of stuff :lol:
yes in fact there are a few (wouldn't call them tons though ;) ) and it's mainly formalities in the intro and outro, the text of the main story was flawlessly narrated.

However, please spot correct those few notes. No need to re-record, it's easy to cut out or to insert a part. If you are using Audacity I can give you a step-by-step if you need.

> at 0:11: "for more information or to volunteer" - you missed this important bit of advertising for our own cause ;)

> from 11:54-11:58: four seconds of silence are too long for a listener. Even here, between the end of the story and the end disclaimer, I would try to stay under 2 seconds. Usually 1–1.5 seconds is fully enough, even between paragraphs, so I would trim the silence quite a bit here

> at 11:59: "End of Section 4" – you say "section 1"

> at 12:03: you can cut the final end disclaimer "end of black cat...etc" – this will only be read at the end of the final section of any project, to conclude the audiobook. It will not be mentioned in any of the middle sections. Yours will end with "End of Section 4" (optional: read by...)

> at the end of a file, we always leave a standard of 5 seconds of silence, you barely have one second here which is an abrupt ending. Could you add 4 seconds of silence here please ?

Simply reupload with the exact same filename, then the old file will replace the new one. And since yours is the final section of the project, we can catalogue as soon as your edited version is in :9:

thanks

Sonia

Post Reply