COMPLETE: The Way of an Eagle by Ethel M. Dell-lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

The Way of an Eagle by Ethel M. Dell (1881 - 1939).

This project is now complete.  All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-way-of-an-eagle-by-ethel-m-dell/

Muriel Roscoe has come to India to live with her father, a general. When the fort where they are staying comes under attack, General Roscoe charges the dauntless, wisecracking soldier Nick Ratcliffe with the responsibility for getting Muriel away in safety. The two manage to escape, but the experience is harrowing for Muriel. Meanwhile, Nick has fallen in love with her. Will she ever be able to shake off her old prejudices towards him or her association of him with their near debacle and see him for who he really is? Can she reconcile the fearsome creature she witnessed during their escape and the good-humored man beloved by his family and friends? ( Scarbo)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/12516
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: special: please follow along with the text to check for word changes that alter the meaning of the text.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================

Genres for the project: Romance

Keywords that describe the book: romance, India, england, action and adventure

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Part [number], chapter [number] of The Way of an Eagle. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Way of an Eagle, by Ethel M. Dell. [Chapter name]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Way of an Eagle, by Ethel M. Dell. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      wayofaneagle_##_dell_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. wayofaneagle_01_dell_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)

Please ignore tags - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
        https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: linny
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by Scarbo on August 13th, 2021, 9:52 am, edited 8 times in total.
linny

Post by linny »

I can MC this for you. Let me know if you have any questions. :D

I put you in as DPL because there is a delay with the system update in adding you as BC. This way you have MW access to do your setup. I'll check back and hopefully can get you switched over as BC and the DPL slot as open. Oops. Never mind, it's already updated and fixed. :D
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Excellent! Thank you! I'll get to work on putting the chapters in right away.

Is it possible to request word-perfect PLing as a matter of personal preference, or is that meant only for certain kinds of non-fiction works?
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
linny

Post by linny »

You may, but it’s much more challenging to find readers and PLers. Some PLers don’t follow along with the text or just scan along with the reader instead of following word for word. For readers you will need to wait for a reader that would be willing to revise the recording for a word change that doesn’t impact the intent.
Example:
Text: with the responsibility for getting
Recording: with the responsibility of getting

Generally word perfect is used for religious text and scientific. As an alternative you may consider “special” PLing and ask for following along with the text to ensure word changes don’t impact intent. With special, it’s up to you to specify what you want above and beyond standard pl.
ktbell03

Post by ktbell03 »

Am I able to claim part 1 chapter 2?
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

ktbell03 wrote: December 1st, 2020, 10:59 am Am I able to claim part 1 chapter 2?
Hello ktbell03, thank you for claiming! I see that this is your first post here. I'll sign you up for part 1 chapter 2, and in the meantime, could you complete a 1-minute test before starting to record the chapter? It's not an audition, it's just to make sure that your equipment and recording software are set up properly and to check for any sound problems. You can find more information here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording and information on the 1-minute test here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

Let me know if you have any questions!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
ktbell03

Post by ktbell03 »

Ok I will be sure to do that soon! Do you need me to send you the one minute test? Where do I “submit” it?
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

ktbell03 wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 1:36 pm Ok I will be sure to do that soon! Do you need me to send you the one minute test? Where do I “submit” it?
Great! You can post it to the Listeners & Editors Wanted forum.

Sarah
ktbell03

Post by ktbell03 »

tmart209

Post by tmart209 »

Can I claim section 3?
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

ktbell03 wrote: December 5th, 2020, 8:52 pm here is my recording of section 2

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/wayofaneagle_02_dell_128kb.mp3
I'll need to wait until your 1-minute test is OK'd before I start proof-listening, but one thing I can see right away is that your volume is at 86.1 dB, which is a bit below the needed range of 88-92.

I would wait for any feedback you get on your most recent 1-minute test, and then once it's OK'd you can amplify your file for this chapter and make any other edits as needed. When you do, could you also include the duration of the file when you post the link? Thanks! :)

Also, could you let me know what name or pseudonym you'd like to be listed under in the LV catalog?
Last edited by Scarbo on December 6th, 2020, 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

tmart209 wrote: December 5th, 2020, 10:02 pm Can I claim section 3?
Sure thing, thank you!

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

I apologize, I misunderstood the situation and can go ahead and PL this. I'll get on that as soon as I can.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Section 2 sounds great! Your expressiveness in the dialogue brought home the drama of the story. There are just some edits to be made:

- Could you amplify the volume to between 88-92, as noted above?
- At 1:16, you say "sacredly," then correct it to "scarcely." Could you delete the "sacredly"?
- At 1:23, you say "it would have been perhaps" before correcting it to "it would perhaps have been."
- At 2:10, you start to say "rela-" before correcting it to "reality."
- At 2:17, you say "the strain was so-" before correcting it to "was such."
- At 2:35, you start to say "extrem-" before correcting it to "extremity."
- At 2:41, "turned in disgust," you say "turned into disgust." I mention such a minor difference only because it changes the meaning of the sentence.
- At 2:49, "had he not," you say "he had not," which changes the meaning of the sentence.
- At 3:15, you start to say "charpoy" before saying it again.
- At 3:36, you say "such a-" before correcting it to "such was."
- At 3:52, "lustreless," you say "lustrous."
- At 4:28, "pallor," you say "parlor."
- At 4:50, you start to say "She rea-" before correcting it to "She roused."
- At 5:57, "I told ayah," you say "I told you ayah."
- At 6:12, "her watching eyes," you repeat "her watching."
- At 6:22, in "And even he did not guess what courage underlay the words," you say "did not dis-" before correcting it, and "his words."
- At 6:46, you say "dropped less" before correcting it to "drooped less."
- At 7:50, you say "and it was" before correcting it to "and the next."
- At 8:07, you repeat "He clasped."
- At 8:13, you start to say "and it-" before correcting it to "and the look it wore."
- At 8:35, you start to say "His qui-" before correcting it to "His voice quivered."
- At 9:30, you say "was upturned" before correcting it to "was still upturned."
- At 9:45, you say "I may not be-" before correcting it to "even be with you."
- At 9:55, "give himself up to securing," you say "give himself up to securely."
- At 10:22, you repeat "so little."
- At 10:40, you start to say "Captain Grange" before correcting it.
- At 11:03, you start to say "quivering" before correcting it.
- At 12:01, you repeat "seems so."
- At 12:30, "She clung to his arm," you say "He clung to his arm."
- At 12:43, "moved before," you say "moved forward."
- And at 13:34, you say "End of The Way of an Eagle by Ethel M. Dell," but that's not actually needed until the last chapter of the book.

Here's some information on editing in Audacity: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Deleting_Errors_in_Audacity

Also, I heard in the file that you gave your reader name as Katie Benjamin and just wanted to check that that's the correct spelling that you'd like to appear in the LV catalog.

Sarah
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 56, please.