[GRP] State of the Union Addresses 1913-1922 (Wilson/Harding) – lny

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
linny
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14520
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Post by linny » November 21st, 2020, 7:59 am

jhturner wrote:
November 9th, 2020, 10:02 am
And section 2 (Wilson 1914) is here:

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/stateoftheunion_1913_1922_02_various_128kb.mp3

Time is 36:45. I think every state of the union message I have recorded has complained about the condition of the Merchant Marine (in which my grandfather served), Wilson being just the latest. Of course, now with Europe at war, it is a real problem. I'll leave it to others to learn if anything is ever done about it.

Thanks, Linny.

Joanne
hi Joanne,
I'm sorry for such a long delay in PLing. I've been working again and trying to get used to the new daily schedule has been more complicated than anticipated.

Section 2 is PL OK...as always. Thank you for your efforts and for your grandfather's service. The Merchant Marine does seem to be a recurring theme. :(

linny
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14520
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Post by linny » November 21st, 2020, 8:26 am

realisticspeakers wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 1:39 am
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/stateoftheunion_1913_1922_03_various_128kb.mp3
[19:04]

I added a line.

No no, I mean I added a line up from Section 4.
Section 4 will start one line later.
OK, I admit it...this word was new for me "suzerainty". :roll: Your overlordship may move lines from track to track as he deems appropriate. Well, as long as the lines are of his domain. :wink:

Oh and, of course, PL OK.

realisticspeakers
Posts: 1595
Joined: December 6th, 2010, 5:15 pm

Post by realisticspeakers » November 21st, 2020, 9:00 am

linny wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 8:26 am
realisticspeakers wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 1:39 am
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/stateoftheunion_1913_1922_03_various_128kb.mp3
[19:04]

I added a line.

No no, I mean I added a line up from Section 4.
Section 4 will start one line later.
OK, I admit it...this word was new for me "suzerainty". :roll: Your overlordship may move lines from track to track as he deems appropriate. Well, as long as the lines are of his domain. :wink:

Oh and, of course, PL OK.
Thank you, Your Grace, for granting suzerainty over my selections.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."

linny
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14520
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Post by linny » November 21st, 2020, 9:30 am

realisticspeakers wrote:
November 13th, 2020, 10:02 am
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/stateoftheunion_1913_1922_04_various_128kb.mp3
[37:45]

begins one line later than suggested.
8:34 please delete the recorded word 'not' - They are the only shuttles that can weave the delicate fabric of sympathy, comprehension, confidence, and mutual dependence in which we wish to clothe our policy of America for Americans.

Thank you for your patience with my delayed PLing.

linny
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14520
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Post by linny » November 21st, 2020, 9:30 am

realisticspeakers wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 9:00 am
Thank you, Your Grace, for granting suzerainty over my selections.
:lol:

linny
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14520
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Post by linny » November 21st, 2020, 9:33 am

KevinS wrote:
November 13th, 2020, 4:17 pm
Second time's the charm! Section 11.

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/stateoftheunion_1913_1922_11_various_128kb.mp3 (39:17)
Spot check PL OK! Thank you. :D

realisticspeakers
Posts: 1595
Joined: December 6th, 2010, 5:15 pm

Post by realisticspeakers » November 21st, 2020, 11:38 am

linny wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 9:30 am
8:34 please delete the recorded word 'not' - They are the only shuttles that can weave...
I'll just record the whole thing again.

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/stateoftheunion_1913_1922_04_various_128kb.mp3
[same time]
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."

linny
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14520
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Post by linny » November 21st, 2020, 1:44 pm

realisticspeakers wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 11:38 am
linny wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 9:30 am
8:34 please delete the recorded word 'not' - They are the only shuttles that can weave...
I'll just record the whole thing again.

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/stateoftheunion_1913_1922_04_various_128kb.mp3
[same time]
Perfect. Spot check PL OK. :thumbs:

linny
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14520
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Post by linny » November 22nd, 2020, 9:31 am

It's a little early but I opened Coolidge and Hoover 1923-1932. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=83824&p=1811336#p1811336

drwolfe88
Posts: 15
Joined: October 7th, 2020, 12:31 pm

Post by drwolfe88 » November 27th, 2020, 1:16 pm


linny
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14520
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Post by linny » November 28th, 2020, 8:04 am

drwolfe88 wrote:
November 27th, 2020, 1:16 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/stateoftheunion_1913_1922_05_various_128kb.mp3

12min 38sec Woodrow Wilson 1916
Well done!
The only changes needed are to the silences. Opening silence should be less than 1 second. This is ~1.5 seconds. Ending silence should be ~5 seconds. This is at ~3.5 seconds and therefore runs the risk of being cut off during playback.

drwolfe88
Posts: 15
Joined: October 7th, 2020, 12:31 pm

Post by drwolfe88 » November 28th, 2020, 8:59 pm

linny wrote:
November 28th, 2020, 8:04 am
drwolfe88 wrote:
November 27th, 2020, 1:16 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/stateoftheunion_1913_1922_05_various_128kb.mp3

12min 38sec Woodrow Wilson 1916
Well done!
The only changes needed are to the silences. Opening silence should be less than 1 second. This is ~1.5 seconds. Ending silence should be ~5 seconds. This is at ~3.5 seconds and therefore runs the risk of being cut off during playback.
Glad it came out ok. Sorry about the time thing. Is that something that I fix or you fix? Sorry, I'm still new to this site. And if it is something that I fix is there a wiki to tell me how? Thanks!

drwolfe88
Posts: 15
Joined: October 7th, 2020, 12:31 pm

Post by drwolfe88 » November 28th, 2020, 9:09 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/stateoftheunion_1913_1922_06_various_128kb.mp3

22:48 Woodrow Wilson 1917. I figured out how to fix the silences! This one should be better. I will attempt to alter my 1916 file and re-upload if that is what I'm supposed to do?
This one was a lot of fun. Turns out there's a lot of emotion in a speech where you get to declare war :D

drwolfe88
Posts: 15
Joined: October 7th, 2020, 12:31 pm

Post by drwolfe88 » November 28th, 2020, 9:20 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/stateoftheunion_1913_1922_05_various_128kb.mp3

12:39 Woodrow Wilson 1916 Re-do. Fixed the silence issues!

linny
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14520
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Post by linny » November 29th, 2020, 6:28 am

drwolfe88 wrote:
November 28th, 2020, 9:20 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/stateoftheunion_1913_1922_05_various_128kb.mp3

12:39 Woodrow Wilson 1916 Re-do. Fixed the silence issues!
Section 5 is spot check PL OK. Fingers crossed that by 're-do' you meant you made the corrections and didn't do an entire new read. :shock:

Ending silence is ~6 seconds but that's better than too short. Just know that some folks REALLY think ~5 is interpreted as 5. As the reader you have the right to say, "I think it's close enough, but thanks for the note. I'll keep an eye on it for next time."

Post Reply