Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

ColleenMc wrote: December 1st, 2020, 5:34 pm Hello,

Here is section 2 (Chapter I part 1):

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory2_02_128kb.mp3

32:01

My apologies for any mangling of the Latin and the bit of surprise Greek in there!

Colleen
No worries. You pronounce Latin more clearly than many Latinists. Sorry, I didn't notice the Greek phrase. I would have included a transcription in the notes. May I ask you to redo it using the following approximation?

(26:42) ha-PLOOS haw MEE-thos tehs ah-leh-THEY-as EH-fee (th as in think)
[literally] simple... the...word......of........truth...........springs up (just FYI)

Added: Sorry, just remembered that English doesn't have an "eh" sound. :) Same thing using some post-classical sounds:

ha-PLOOS haw MEE-thos tees ah-lee-THEE-as EH-fee (th as in think)

Thanks!
Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

TadDavis wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 10:06 am I go by "Tad Davis". Tad is actually a nickname, but I've lived with it for >60 years at this point, so....
Here's your reader page:

https://librivox.org/reader/15357

Happy recording! :)

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Leni wrote: October 27th, 2020, 7:34 pm
Ok, great! I can PL your sections if you need someone to do so. :) Moving this to Readers Wanted.
Section 1 (5:09) is ready for PL. :)

Thanks,
Michael
TadDavis

Post by TadDavis »

Kazbek wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 2:59 pm
TadDavis wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 10:06 am I go by "Tad Davis". Tad is actually a nickname, but I've lived with it for >60 years at this point, so....
Here's your reader page:

https://librivox.org/reader/15357

Happy recording! :)

Michael
Being new and still feeling my way around.... I've recorded about half of section 50, and I'm wondering, before proceeding, if there's a way or a place to upload it to get some preliminary feedback/critique.... kind of a "partial first draft". (And if so, is it OK if the file doesn't yet have the required opening and closing announcements?) If it's preferred to do the whole thing first, I can certainly do that. I'm not thinking in terms of a full PL process, just generally checking the sound and vocal quality.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

TadDavis wrote: December 4th, 2020, 3:20 pm Being new and still feeling my way around.... I've recorded about half of section 50, and I'm wondering, before proceeding, if there's a way or a place to upload it to get some preliminary feedback/critique.... kind of a "partial first draft". (And if so, is it OK if the file doesn't yet have the required opening and closing announcements?) If it's preferred to do the whole thing first, I can certainly do that. I'm not thinking in terms of a full PL process, just generally checking the sound and vocal quality.
You can upload your partial recording following the same instructions as you would for the final version, and I'll take a listen. Uploading the final version will replace it on the server.

Michael
geoffreydesena

Post by geoffreydesena »

Kazbek wrote: December 1st, 2020, 1:20 pm
Nice Nordic pronunciation! Just a couple of small cuts to make:

(0:30) Delete repeated "chapter 17"
(29:20) Repeat/stumble "had indeed"

Thanks,
Michael
Thanks, Michael! I've spent significant time in both Sweden and Norway (hence the reason I was quick to grab these sections), but the few times I visited Denmark, I found the language unintelligible despite the fact that in written form it's almost identical to Norwegian. So, if there are any Danes listening, sorry for Swedishizing all your words! :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory2_63_128kb.mp3 [33:42]
Sustainably,
Geoffrey DeSena
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

geoffreydesena wrote: December 4th, 2020, 9:41 pm So, if there are any Danes listening, sorry for Swedishizing all your words! :lol:
I would think they're used to it from hearing Norwegian. ;) Section 63 is PL OK!

Michael
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Kazbek wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 3:19 pm
ColleenMc wrote: December 1st, 2020, 5:34 pm Hello,

Here is section 2 (Chapter I part 1):

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory2_02_128kb.mp3

32:01

My apologies for any mangling of the Latin and the bit of surprise Greek in there!

Colleen
No worries. You pronounce Latin more clearly than many Latinists. Sorry, I didn't notice the Greek phrase. I would have included a transcription in the notes. May I ask you to redo it using the following approximation?

(26:42) ha-PLOOS haw MEE-thos tehs ah-leh-THEY-as EH-fee (th as in think)
[literally] simple... the...word......of........truth...........springs up (just FYI)

Added: Sorry, just remembered that English doesn't have an "eh" sound. :) Same thing using some post-classical sounds:

ha-PLOOS haw MEE-thos tees ah-lee-THEE-as EH-fee (th as in think)

Thanks!
Michael
Okay, now I know who to come to for future random Greek text (those darn 19th century folks assume everyone casually reads Greek and just drops it into other texts like salt and pepper)!

Took another whack at it: https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory2_02_128kb.mp3

Hopefully this one is an improvement...

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

ColleenMc wrote: December 5th, 2020, 11:34 am Okay, now I know who to come to for future random Greek text
Happy to help. :)
Hopefully this one is an improvement...
Sounds great! PL OK.

Michael
TadDavis

Post by TadDavis »

Kazbek wrote: December 4th, 2020, 5:08 pm
TadDavis wrote: December 4th, 2020, 3:20 pm Being new and still feeling my way around.... I've recorded about half of section 50, and I'm wondering, before proceeding, if there's a way or a place to upload it to get some preliminary feedback/critique.... kind of a "partial first draft". (And if so, is it OK if the file doesn't yet have the required opening and closing announcements?) If it's preferred to do the whole thing first, I can certainly do that. I'm not thinking in terms of a full PL process, just generally checking the sound and vocal quality.
You can upload your partial recording following the same instructions as you would for the final version, and I'll take a listen. Uploading the final version will replace it on the server.

Michael
My "partial first draft" is here: https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory2_50_128kb.mp3. Length of the selection is 20 min 35 sec. It has the required opening text but not the closing.

Between approximately 12:20 and 13:30, there is a cluster of names where I’d appreciate a second opinion on the pronunciation. There are Dutch, French, and German names. I did my best, based on web searches and YouTube playbacks. German I'm pretty comfortable with, but my French pronunciation is Anglicized - I didn't try to do the nasal vowels, but I'm willing to give it a go if desired. Elsewhere there are a couple of English names that are a challenge. Wriothesley, Earl of Southampton, I pronounced “Risley” because that’s the form I remember from my Shakespeare studies, but I’ve heard that “Rosely” is another possible version. St John I pronounced “Sinjinn” as a best guess, although I associate that pronunciation more with a given name than a surname. Marquis I pronounced “markwis” as an English title rather than the French version.

Thanks for the opportunity. If it's not good, I'll make it better!
Marya999

Post by Marya999 »

Kazbek wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 6:23 am
Marya999 wrote: December 1st, 2020, 9:33 pm I'm interested in reading another chapter but forgot to ask if there was any feedback or constructive criticism from my last chapter, since I'm a new reader... it's probably too late now, but I thought I'd ask anyway ☺️
You're off to a great start! I can't think of any changes to suggest. Let me know when you've made your choice for the next section(s). :)

Michael
OK, thank you :)
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Kazbek wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 3:01 pm
Leni wrote: October 27th, 2020, 7:34 pm
Ok, great! I can PL your sections if you need someone to do so. :) Moving this to Readers Wanted.
Section 1 (5:09) is ready for PL. :)

Thanks,
Michael
Section 1 is PL OK! :thumbs:
Leni
=================
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

TadDavis wrote: December 6th, 2020, 10:14 am
My "partial first draft" is here: https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory2_50_128kb.mp3. Length of the selection is 20 min 35 sec. It has the required opening text but not the closing.

Between approximately 12:20 and 13:30, there is a cluster of names where I’d appreciate a second opinion on the pronunciation. There are Dutch, French, and German names. I did my best, based on web searches and YouTube playbacks. German I'm pretty comfortable with, but my French pronunciation is Anglicized - I didn't try to do the nasal vowels, but I'm willing to give it a go if desired. Elsewhere there are a couple of English names that are a challenge. Wriothesley, Earl of Southampton, I pronounced “Risley” because that’s the form I remember from my Shakespeare studies, but I’ve heard that “Rosely” is another possible version. St John I pronounced “Sinjinn” as a best guess, although I associate that pronunciation more with a given name than a surname. Marquis I pronounced “markwis” as an English title rather than the French version.

Thanks for the opportunity. If it's not good, I'll make it better!
I've listened to a few minutes. This is a fine first effort! I think you have a very enjoyable reading style.

I appreciate your diligence with pronunciation of names. What I've heard in your recording is perfectly acceptable. I personally enjoy researching foreign pronunciations, and one site I have found useful for that is forvo.com, where you can often find multiple samples, together with provenance of the speakers. If you'd like help with foreign languages, you're also welcome to ask in this thread or send me a PM (you may need a few more messages in the forums to have private messaging activated). That said, we don't require accurate pronunciation of foreign names or words, so please use whatever approach you're comfortable with.

Just a couple of minor technical issues:

0:33-0:37 Long pause. Internal pauses of over 2-3 seconds can make the listener wonder if the track is still playing.
0:33-0:42 The chapter number/title is a repetition and should be deleted.

I look forward to hearing the full recording!

Michael
TadDavis

Post by TadDavis »

Here is section 50:

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory2_50_128kb.mp3

Length is 33 min 42 sec.

At about 20:15, which is where I'd stopped and resumed, there's a notable difference in tone. I'm not aware of anything I did different in terms of setting or microphone placement, or anything I might do to even it out. Let me know if there's anything I can or should do. I have no problem doing it over from scratch if that's what is needed. Otherwise... is PL the next step?
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

TadDavis wrote: December 7th, 2020, 2:33 pm Here is section 50:

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory2_50_128kb.mp3

Length is 33 min 42 sec.

At about 20:15, which is where I'd stopped and resumed, there's a notable difference in tone. I'm not aware of anything I did different in terms of setting or microphone placement, or anything I might do to even it out. Let me know if there's anything I can or should do. I have no problem doing it over from scratch if that's what is needed. Otherwise... is PL the next step?
Thank you, Tad! Yes, I will PL your recording in the next couple of days.

It's common for the voice to change audibly after a pause. Some LV readers prefer to record in one take to avoid that (and then do a lot of editing on their stumbles/repeats), and some don't worry about it too much. The change at 20:15 is fairly subtle. I personally don't think any reasonable listener will be bothered by something like that, especially in a collaborative history project.

Michael