[COMPLETE][Short Stories]The Black Cat Vol. 01 No. 09 June 1896 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

NarratorJ wrote: October 19th, 2020, 7:56 amLooks as if I've arrived just in time to claim section 1 again :D
(looks like a longer one)...
J !! great to have you in this one as well, and especially that you are the "brave knight" who doesn't shy away from the long chapter. 8-)

With that we are already fully claimed and I'll move the project to Readers Found.

Happy recording to all 5 of you. I am looking forward to hearing this new batch of stories. :9:

Sonia
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

Section 5, "The Luck of Killing Day", duration 15:14

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0109jun1896_5_various_128kb.mp3

Mike
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MManolakes wrote: October 19th, 2020, 4:24 pmSection 5, "The Luck of Killing Day", duration 15:14
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0109jun1896_5_various_128kb.mp3
:shock: wow this "killing day" really deserved its name. Quite a gruesome spectacle. But the ending of the story was a romantic happy one, at least for one of the protagonists. 8-) Wonderfully narrated, Mike, I enjoyed it very much, despite the bloody topic.

And our first story in this issue is PL ok. Thank you so much ! Maybe I'll be hearing you again in one of the next issues :9:

Sonia
CeriD

Post by CeriD »

Hi Sonia,

Thank you for setting up my reader page, and for all your help. As this is my first recording, please feel free to provide me with suggestions and recommendations on how I can improve.

The link is below.

Section 2, "Mrs. Sloan's Curiosity", duration 12:34

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0109jun1896_2_various_128kb.mp3

Thank you again,
Ceri
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

CeriD wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 8:58 pmAs this is my first recording, please feel free to provide me with suggestions and recommendations on how I can improve.

Section 2, "Mrs. Sloan's Curiosity", duration 12:34
wow ! I was on tenterhooks throughout the story to get to know this mysterious name. I imagined all kinds of strange things but it didn't come close to the ending :lol: On the other hand, he simply should have said "Greenville" when asked about 'G' and all might have been well :lol: he made it a bit too hard on himself by concealing it.

This story was highly entertaining and you narrated it absolutely beautifully. :9: I cannot really give you any improvement advice because in my opinion it was optimal. :) It's well paced, you don't speak too fast for readers to follow, but still lively enough not to be dragging it out too long. In the direct speech you give them voices and character, which makes a story very interesting to listen to. What more can one want ?

Already looking forward to hearing you in another project (maybe even one of the next Black Cat issues :mrgreen: )

Ok, but before I can mark this one as ok, there is a tiny bit that needs correcting:

> at 5:25: (p. 27) missed part of sentence: "as in many New England towns"

Now I need to assure you: there is no need to re-record it all from scratch ! We highly encourage practicing edits instead. I mention it because some new readers went and re-recorded a perfectly good recording because of a couple of errors. This is too much work for the reader and also for the prooflistener, as we have to re-listen to it all as well, instead of just Spot PLing the part that was wrong. And chances are high there are other errors in the new text ;)

So the easiest way to Spot correct is this. You record the part of the sentence, or the entire sentence if you prefer, in a new Audacity window. Then noise clean and amplify so that it will sound a bit similar to your previous recording. And then highlight, and copy/paste it in the right slot in the original masterfile. In the end I listen to the sentence before and after the new one and maybe manually adjust the volume to make it sound similar. And that's it. It's good to practice editing from the start, it will get easier with each recording.

If you need further help, please don't hesitate to ask :) Oh and simply name the file exactly the same way than before, the old file will get replaced by the new file then.

Thanks, and congrats to your very first official recording. I am happy it was a section for the Black Cat. 8-)

Sonia
CeriD

Post by CeriD »

Thank you, Sonia, for all your help and encouragement, and for your kind words!

I have thought a lot about the ending of the story, and why he did not just say "Greenville", when asked. I think the moral of the story is "be careful what you ask for, you may just get it". I think his "compromise" was done to punish Mrs. Sloan for all the aggravation she caused Nathalie about the name during the wedding preparations. :?

I will add the omitted part into the previous file, as suggested, and send you an update today or tomorrow night.

I really enjoyed the process and the story, and would love to do another reading for "the Black Cat", if the opportunity were to arise!

Thank you again! :clap:

Best regards,
Ceri
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

CeriD wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 7:15 amI have thought a lot about the ending of the story, and why he did not just say "Greenville", when asked. I think the moral of the story is "be careful what you ask for, you may just get it". I think his "compromise" was done to punish Mrs. Sloan for all the aggravation she caused Nathalie about the name during the wedding preparations. :?
oh yes there was definitely a vibe of revenge there :lol: I hope Nathalie was not too miffed at the prank ;)
I really enjoyed the process and the story, and would love to do another reading for "the Black Cat", if the opportunity were to arise!
cool. Stay bookmarked to this thread because I will post the link here once the new project is up and running. As there are only half a dozen stories in each magazine, they are very quickly sold out :lol:

Sonia
CeriD

Post by CeriD »

Hi Sonia,

I have re-uploaded the file, having added in that missing phrase at around 5:24

Section 2, "Mrs. Sloan's Curiosity", duration 12:36

Thank you again,
Ceri
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

CeriD wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 5:34 pmI have re-uploaded the file, having added in that missing phrase at around 5:24
Section 2, "Mrs. Sloan's Curiosity", duration 12:36
perfect editing :thumbs: I guess I didn't have to give you precise step-by-step instructions on how to do it :lol:

Now, definitely congrats to your first official PL ok section. Many more to come hopefully :clap:

Thank you !

Sonia
CeriD

Post by CeriD »

Sonia,

Thank you so much for all of your help!

Best regards,
Ceri
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wow this Geik Turner seems to have had a thing with lunatics waving guns at people. :shock: The scenario was similar to the Solitaria story in a previous magazine. I must admit, his stories are getting very much to me and trigger extreme anguish :( It's quite a modern situation which we could read online any day, a madman hijacking a company to get his will imposed on people by means of violence. What is interesting is that already over 100 years ago, they seem to have had the same problems. I thought such amok runners were quite a modern evil.

Well...regardless of the topic, the narration was done beautifully and flawlessly, so thank you for that Rita :9: It's PL ok.

Sonia
JulieB3

Post by JulieB3 »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JulieB3 wrote: November 21st, 2020, 3:31 pmHere is section 3.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0109jun1896_3_various_128kb.mp3 11:48
I hope you enjoy.
oh yes, I fully enjoyed the goosebumps creeping up on my arms while listening to this very classic ghost-story. :9: Wonderfully narrated, Julie, thank you so much. It's completely PL ok.

And as always, once we have all but the last section in, I am starting the next issue. 5 more stories awaiting eager readers:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=83823

It's launched now ! Maybe I'll hear some of you again in there.

Sonia
NarratorJ

Post by NarratorJ »

Hello,
hope every one is having a positive holiday season.
I'm posting to request an extension for section one. I do have it recorded, and partially edited, that said, I will not be able to complete the section by tomorrows deadline. Sorry to keep you waiting.
Thanks,
J
feedback / constructive criticism appreciated