[FULL] Triumphant Democracy by Andrew Carnegie - tg

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » December 9th, 2020, 8:49 pm

msfry wrote:
December 9th, 2020, 8:20 am
Section 30 is uploaded with corrections, with the exception of the missing quote/end quote. I found neither.

TIP: Sometimes when the text says something like "Pericles said . . . . .//////////////////////////////", I let the Pericles said substitute for the "quote", but put the "end quote" at the end to separate it from the author's comments. It varies with the circumstances, for the listener's better understanding.
What are the odds? I couldn't read my writing, and the reference should have been 17:33. It was the MacKenzie quote. But your explanation above works too. I had never thought of that way of doing it. I kind of like it. Thanks.

Wayne
Wayne
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? ~George Eliot

mpinedag

Post by mpinedag » December 10th, 2020, 11:03 am

Hello, may I please claim sections 12 and 13 ("Manufactures", parts 1 and 2)? Thanks!

msfry

Post by msfry » December 10th, 2020, 11:36 am

mpinedag wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 11:03 am
Hello, may I please claim sections 12 and 13 ("Manufactures", parts 1 and 2)? Thanks!
Indeed you may, and you are in the MW now. Thank you and welcome to the project.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #3

msfry

Post by msfry » December 10th, 2020, 2:18 pm

PL Notes Sections 16 and 17 Railways & Waterways

Great listen, well read! Very informative.

16 is PL OK
Amazing stats on cross continent travel from stage coach to railroad! I had to look up "parapatetic", which Carnegie used several times: "Traveling from place to place".
Looks like the same problems exist today as in yesteryear, except now it's monopoly on internet information (Google). It remains to be seen if any attempted solution works.
"If corporations grow to gigantic size and attempt to use their powers like giants, forgetting that they are the creatures and servants of the State, we may safely trust the Democracy to deal with them. There is no prohlem which an educated people cannot and will not solve in the interests of the people when solution is demanded."

17 has a few wee errors
The sleeping car story was fascinating, especially if that's how Carnegie got his start "up fortune's laddar".
16:31 repeat: "which has has revolutionized"
27:55 reading ! ! ! ! does sound a bit weird. IMHO, as much could be insinuated by the way you emphasized the sentence, and a 2 second pause.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #3

KevinS

Post by KevinS » December 10th, 2020, 4:24 pm

msfry wrote:
December 9th, 2020, 10:00 am
PL Notes Section 19

9:15 repeat "The famous blunder in an old pl;iy of ' Enter a king and two fiddlers solus'"

No mention of guitars at all. What would Willie say? :shock:
Haha! Which Willie? Willie with the quill pen or Willie with the headband?

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_19_carnegie_128kb.mp3 (20:21)

msfry

Post by msfry » December 10th, 2020, 4:45 pm

19 is PL OK. That would be Willie with the funky sounding guitar, cowboy hat and braids, singing a frequent Librivox refrain. 8-)

https://www.famousfix.com/topic/willie-nelson-ain-t-it-funny-how-time-slips-away

I don't know Willie with the quill pen.
Michele Fry, CC

Love Stories #3

mleigh

Post by mleigh » December 10th, 2020, 5:00 pm

msfry wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 2:18 pm
PL Notes Sections 16 and 17 Railways & Waterways

Great listen, well read! Very informative.

16 is PL OK
Amazing stats on cross continent travel from stage coach to railroad! I had to look up "parapatetic", which Carnegie used several times: "Traveling from place to place".
Looks like the same problems exist today as in yesteryear, except now it's monopoly on internet information (Google). It remains to be seen if any attempted solution works.
"If corporations grow to gigantic size and attempt to use their powers like giants, forgetting that they are the creatures and servants of the State, we may safely trust the Democracy to deal with them. There is no prohlem which an educated people cannot and will not solve in the interests of the people when solution is demanded."

17 has a few wee errors
The sleeping car story was fascinating, especially if that's how Carnegie got his start "up fortune's laddar".
16:31 repeat: "which has has revolutionized"
27:55 reading ! ! ! ! does sound a bit weird. IMHO, as much could be insinuated by the way you emphasized the sentence, and a 2 second pause.
I have made the revision to section 17. Let me know if there are any further changes you would like to see.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_17_carnegie_128kb.mp3
New time: 36:52

I did enjoy the chapter and would have loved to read another but just don't have the time,

I found Carnegie's praise of Pullman most interesting as I have never heard anything good of the man before. He was horrible to his employees especially those that lived in his company town,

M

aeb2468

Post by aeb2468 » December 10th, 2020, 6:02 pm

I'll take Ch 16, parts 1 and 2, please?

msfry

Post by msfry » December 10th, 2020, 9:30 pm

aeb2468 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 6:02 pm
I'll take Ch 16, parts 1 and 2, please?
Thank you and welcome to the project. I've put your claim in for Sections 21 and 22, and look forward to listening.
Michele Fry, CC

Love Stories #3

msfry

Post by msfry » December 10th, 2020, 9:34 pm

17 is PL OK.
Michele Fry, CC

Love Stories #3

msfry

Post by msfry » December 11th, 2020, 8:05 am

mleigh wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 5:00 pm

I found Carnegie's praise of Pullman most interesting as I have never heard anything good of the man before. He was horrible to his employees especially those that lived in his company town.
Carnegie wasn't praising George Pullman, but T. T. Woodruff who invented the car and in whose invention he invested. They only built a few cars before they "found themselves swallowed by this ogre, and Pullman monopolized everything." Yet Carnegie did praise Pullman for his managerial skill, for inventing a business, making it respectable, and "the travelling public are very much his debtors." I looked for a PD book about Pullman we might record, but found none. :(
Michele Fry, CC

Love Stories #3

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » December 11th, 2020, 4:29 pm

msfry wrote:
December 9th, 2020, 8:20 am
Section 30 is uploaded with corrections, with the exception of the missing quote/end quote. I found neither.

TIP: Sometimes when the text says something like "Pericles said . . . . .//////////////////////////////", I let the Pericles said substitute for the "quote", but put the "end quote" at the end to separate it from the author's comments. It varies with the circumstances, for the listener's better understanding.

Well done. Seamless corrections. PLOK!! :clap:

P.S. I missed the "Spot PL" post in the MW as I didn't look at it. :oops:
Wayne
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? ~George Eliot

Tn145

Post by Tn145 » December 13th, 2020, 7:36 pm

msfry

Post by msfry » December 13th, 2020, 8:28 pm

In future, please submit your file length along with your link. The Section Compiler requires this information, as displayed in the Magic Window. It shows up at the bottom of the Audacity wave form when you select the whole thing, in Checker, and in your computer if you hover over an mp3 file name.

Did you choose Tn145 as your catalog name?
Michele Fry, CC

Love Stories #3

msfry

Post by msfry » December 14th, 2020, 8:32 am

PL Notes Section 14 Mining
Tech specs are OK, but there are lots of problems with this file.

:20 background engine noise
:38 loud crack
1:14 stutter neverthele- us, it is all
1:40 repeat: her supre, her supremacy, delete the first instance
1:57 repeat: perfect, perfect climate
2:18 as if in persuance of the law, you say per-si-nence (not a word), it should be per-sue-ance, and edit out where you are trying to figure out how to pronounce it.
2:33 repeat: and helpful to agree, to a degree

I'm sorry but when spot checking showed similar errors throughout this file, I stopped proof listening. Please go back and listen carefully to your file, and edit out the errors. Also, though it is common to hesitate or pause between words mid-phrase when recording, these pauses should be edited out so the reading flows smoothly in the final product.

Also, you sound like you are struggling to stay awake, i.e., your voice trails off at the end of the phrase, you drop vowel sounds, and sometimes mumble.

Visual inspection:
Volume leaps up 5 db at around 5.30
There is a 25 second gap beginning at 44:30
There is no Outro (see instruction in the First Post)

My personal opinion is that it would be easier to re-record this chapter than for you to try and fix it. Don't be too discouraged. There is a learning curve we all have to go through. My advice is to be sure to record when you are wide awake, take deep breaths, and narrate as though you are reading to a person sitting in front of you, whom you are trying to keep vitally interested in what you are saying. Some people stand up while recording and wave their hands around.

Another piece of advice I give to new readers is to choose shorter files. 5000+ words is a huge file (even for me). 1500 words or less is much more manageable for beginners. There are plenty of shorter files to choose from. Just look at the magic window on any open project for word count.

Please let me know your plans.
Michele Fry, CC

Love Stories #3