[COMPLETE] Triumphant Democracy by Andrew Carnegie - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

And section 25 (Chapter 18, part 2) is here:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_25_carnegie_128kb.mp3

Time is 33:47. This morning's fun fact: we have our own Department of Fisheries to thank for bringing the carp to America (and in enormous numbers, which Andy seems to think was a good thing).

Thanks,

Joanne
AnnNika

Post by AnnNika »

Hello, I'm kinda new here. Just uploaded my 1-Minute test. Waiting for the OK.
I'd like to claim Section 9, Chapter 7, Religion, if that is possible? English isn't my first language, hope that is fine.
What does cl 10/18 mean? It says so in the magic window right after 3155 words.
Excited, AnnNika.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

msfry wrote: November 15th, 2020, 10:06 am PL Notes 02, The American People

Fascinating chapter, lots I've never thought about, nicely read. There are a few items needing your attention.

7:36 And Nelson's antipode, you say Napoleon
14:05 missing text "We shall give mankind," said Secretary Seward, " an example of such magnanimity as it has never seen."
15:26 is the alacrity with which they adopt American ideas. You say a-clarity.

21:15 - 21:53 and 29:00 - 29:45 (pages 27-28) Alas, we are not allowed to delete text, so in areas where dollar amounts are cited, followed by pound equivalents, we need to read the pound equivalents in.
24:45 you say " it takes away from the best of the population", delete from
25:30 you say "so long will be the best of the workers", delete be
38:32 repeat whom, who, delete whom
I cannot believe I made all those mistakes. How did I miss them????

However, I made a lot more work for myself when I made a very dumb decision. I KNEW that the entire script MUST be read, so, why on earth did I purposely leave out the British monetary units??? :roll: That added so much more time. The other's weren't hard to correct, but those...

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_02_carnegie_128kb.mp3

Time: 39:27.5

Stav, thanks for all your hard work. You amaze :mrgreen: me!!!

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Marya999

Post by Marya999 »

And here is section 6 with fixes. I'm not happy with the way the noise reduction turned out, I will do that last in future. Maybe with different settings? There is a thin high metallic sound and it sounds like coming through a tunnel. I've tried several things to reduce the need for noise reduction. It's a mains hum. I even tried putting my laptop as far as the cord would reach and reading off my phone, but that was hard to do...

I want to thank you for your feedback- as a new reader it is very helpful. If you have any other feedback I'd be happy to hear- I know I need to slow down at parts and use a rounder tone...shocking how much one forgets to breathe :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_06_carnegie_128kb.mp3

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

And here is section 6 with fixes. I'm not happy with the way the noise reduction turned out, I will do that last in future. Maybe with different settings? There is a thin high metallic sound and it sounds like coming through a tunnel. I've tried several things to reduce the need for noise reduction. It's a mains hum. I even tried putting my laptop as far as the cord would reach and reading off my phone, but that was hard to do...
Being a mains hum, does it have a spike at the 60 Hz mark (or thereabouts), and is that the only spike? If so, you can run a Notch Filter set for that frequency with a high Q number (to narrow the range of frequencies removed). If it's a tall, narrow spike, a Q of 10 or so would work.

If you've got a lot of harmonics (120, 180, 240 Hz, etc.), it would be tedious to notch filter 'em all, but it is technically possible.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Marya999

Post by Marya999 »

Thanks Tricia! I will try that.
Just to clarify- the thin metallic tone is introduced after the noise reduction is applied- before it's applied it's a low constant white noise sound.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Michele,

And edit to my above post. I don't know why I thought Stav was the DPL here :roll: :oops: . Thanks for your work, too. You are all amazing!

Wayne
Wayne
msfry

Post by msfry »

Wayne, I am marking Section 2 PLOK. :thumbs:
May I entice you to take on another section?

TIP: Any time you have to make several additions to a long segment, it is better to re-record that whole segment than try to plug in a word here and a word there. I don't know why but my voice does not have the same tone from morning to night, and from Monday to Tuesday. Even with just one word to change, I can usually feather in a whole phrase and find a near match somewhere fore and aft of a offending word, but I rarely can plug in one word and get it to match the rest.

Did you see my request for you to PL my section? Would you like to do that? If you aren't used to PL'ing, it's not hard. Just read along with the text and notate any significant discrepancies you hear along with the time they occur. You can use my PL Notes as your guide, and feel free to ask questions.
msfry

Post by msfry »

AnnNika wrote: November 17th, 2020, 1:11 pm Hello, I'm kinda new here. Just uploaded my 1-Minute test. Waiting for the OK.
I'd like to claim Section 9, Chapter 7, Religion, if that is possible? English isn't my first language, hope that is fine.
What does cl 10/18 mean? It says so in the magic window right after 3155 words.
Excited, AnnNika.
Hello Ann, I see you've completed your One Minute Test, and if you've followed up on Adrian's tutorials, and Phil's, I guess you're ready to tackle recording and editing a 20 minute long segment. It's yours.

Please let me know what Real Name you'd like to show up in our Catalog. I use msfry as my username, and Michele Fry as my Real Name.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Michele,

No, I didn't catch the request to PL your section, but I would be more than pleased to. Thank you for the offer.

No, I haven't PLed anything before, but I have done Solos, so I am familiar with the way the MW works. Just let me know the fine points of the process, and I will certainly do it.

As to your suggestion, I agree. I should have just rerecorded those paragraphs and it would have been, in the long (and maybe short) run faster and easier. I did something similar many months ago where I had many, many, many corrections (like about 25 in a fairly short reading) and just rerecorded the entire thing, and the DPL said it was better just to correct the errors rather than recording the entire thing again as then the PLer has to listen to the whole thing rather than just the corrections. Your advise is the happy medium, reread the section, but not the entire recording. :D

Wayne
Wayne
msfry

Post by msfry »

Kalamareader wrote: November 18th, 2020, 3:31 pm No, I haven't PLed anything before, but I have done Solos, so I am familiar with the way the MW works. Just let me know the fine points of the process, and I will certainly do it.Wayne
Well, man, all I can say is to reiterate what I do . . . listen with earphone on, follow along with the text, and notate anything that might convey misinformation, confuse the listener. It does not have to be exact, nor agree with my opinions, just convey the meaning the author meant to convey. I consider this a valuable, responsible exercise. I presume others will do as well. and I will check back, whether I know to check back or not.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

msfry wrote: November 18th, 2020, 5:32 pm Well, man, all I can say is to reiterate what I do . . . listen with earphone on, follow along with the text, and notate anything that might convey misinformation, confuse the listener. It does not have to be exact, nor agree with my opinions, just convey the meaning the author meant to convey. I consider this a valuable, responsible exercise. I presume others will do as well. and I will check back, whether I know to check back or not.
I went ahead and did this, and I think I did what you said. I really loved listening to your narration and found some very interesting thoughts in it.

I did find a few little things that you might want to look at:

5:22 This one is really minor, so it is up to you. You said "paper" and the text is "newspaper". Doesn't really change the meaning, but...(near top of page 238)

9:50 Missing ..on both sides of the Atlantic has shown me... (page 240, first full paragraph)

10:42 Text "Regulation" read "Regular"

25:40 Text "sale" I heard "scale" .....Wonderfully large _____ (End of pg 246)

29:00 "Macaulay" is pronounced Ma-KAW-lee (Page 248)

30:42 "Something must be conceded to publishers on this side, and something must be conceded by publishers on the other." You say "to" in each occurrence. (First sentence on page 249)

Now that I think of it, do I really need access to the MW?

Wayne

P.S. Thanks for the chance. It was fun and educational. :D
Wayne
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 20 has been repaired. Made all corrections with the exception of the first one re paper.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_20_carnegie_128kb.mp3 36:52

All good catches, especially appreciate you correcting the pronunciation of McCauley.

Only the MC, BC and DPL have access to the MW, so I'll take care of that. But every BC/DPL who records for their own projects still needs someone else to PL their files, usually another reader on the project. It is a valuable service, so I hope you'll do more of it. You can volunteer or wait to be asked, but be sure you get permission first, or you may PL something then find it has been PL'd by, or promised to, someone else.

As to your technique, rather than cite the page number, it helps to copy and paste a bit more of the surrounding text, especially for people like me, who like to re record the whole phrase, and highlight the offending word in BOLD, and explain the error as you did.

As to PL'ers having to listen to a whole file twice, yes that is a royal pain in the neck. But for a sentence or two or three, it's fine. :D
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

msfry wrote: November 19th, 2020, 1:29 pm Section 20 has been repaired. Made all corrections with the exception of the first one re paper.
Section 20 PL OK! :clap:

One comment, for me I have found it useful to know where in 5 or 10 or 20 pages of text the correction is needed, instead of having to listen and scroll down through pages trying to find the place where it is. I just thought of something. When I make corrections, I always go to the text and scan the surrounding context to see how the correction fits in, rather than just putting in words based on the PLer's notes. I guess it depends on how one does their corrections. :D

Wayne

Yes, PLing is interesting and I will probably do it again, so when you get your other sections recorded, I would be more than happy to do it if you will have me. Just let me know. (PM may be the best way) :mrgreen:
Wayne
msfry

Post by msfry »

Kalamareader wrote: November 19th, 2020, 2:05 pm
msfry wrote: November 19th, 2020, 1:29 pm Section 20 has been repaired. Made all corrections with the exception of the first one re paper.
Section 20 PL OK! :clap:

One comment, for me I have found it useful to know where in 5 or 10 or 20 pages of text the correction is needed, instead of having to listen and scroll down through pages trying to find the place where it is. I just thought of something. When I make corrections, I always go to the text and scan the surrounding context to see how the correction fits in, rather than just putting in words based on the PLer's notes. I guess it depends on how one does their corrections. :D

Wayne

Yes, PLing is interesting and I will probably do it again, so when you get your other sections recorded, I would be more than happy to do it if you will have me. Just let me know. (PM may be the best way) :mrgreen:
Yes, please PL my remaining sections, which I hope to complete soon. Lots of family/holiday stuff is piling up around me, though, so maybe it will be delayed.

If you go to your Control Panel (upper right arrow on every forum page) and set your Global Settings to receive email notices of any posts to subscribed topics, you'll be automatically advised when I upload.

I don't generally return to the text, just go by what the PL'er submits, plus listen to the surrounding text as needed to feather my changes in. No doubt there is more than one way to do things. :mrgreen: