[HISTORY] The Armenian Crisis in Turkey by F. Greene - availle

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » November 20th, 2020, 5:11 pm

Thank you!

Some books take longer than others. :wink: Plus, it's a difficult topic too.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

mikegloudemans

Post by mikegloudemans » December 7th, 2020, 10:10 am

This is a nice project! I'd like to record Sections 1, 2, and 3 if possible.

This will be my first contribution to LibriVox.

I previewed these sections and recorded an attempt at the first one as a sort of test run -- I think it went pretty smoothly but there were just a few questions that came up.

- In the Project Gutenberg text there are a few captioned pictures embedded within the text. Should I just read these where they appear? At the end of the section? Should I make some kind of indication that there's an image in the text?
- There are a few names of people and locations, as well as a few foreign words, that I don't know how to pronounce, and I was only able to find phonetic pronunciations for some of these online. Should I just read these as naturally and consistently as possible and do my best? Or should I keep track of the difficult words and post them here, and get feedback from someone who knows them?

I will obviously save the recording files so I can make adjustments if the PL has any recommendations.

AlexanderShin

Post by AlexanderShin » December 8th, 2020, 6:51 am

Hello, if still available, for this project may I do Section 4? My deadline would be until December 12th

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » December 9th, 2020, 5:30 am

mikegloudemans wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 10:10 am
This is a nice project! I'd like to record Sections 1, 2, and 3 if possible.
Hi Mike and welcome to LV and to this project! :D

You can definitely do those sections, but I'll need a "catalog name" for you before I enter you to the Magic Window. If you're planning on saying a name in your recordings, this is a good choice so that your fans can find you in our catalog.

However, please wait for your test to get an [OK] before you record for "real". I don't usually check tests, but a good distance from the mic is about the length of your spread hand - tip of the thumb at your mouth, tip of your pinkie at the microphone. If you're too loud, then you need to turn down the "gain" of your microphone. You shouldn't amplify too much (only a couple of dB up or down) because if you have any background noise, amplifying your recording will increase it. You may have to play a little with this.

As for your question regarding the figures - we leave them out, caption and all, same as with diagrams, tables etc. If these are referenced in the text in a full sentence like in... "Figure 3.5 shows... " then please read the complete sentence; if it's in brackets (see Figure 4) you can leave those out too.

As for names, yeah, that's always a tricky one. I mess them up pretty much all the time myself. :lol: I would say if it's place names, try to get them right, but for personal names, it's okay to go and wing them - who knows how the person would have pronounced it herself?

So, please check in again once you get your [ok] on your test, and let me know your catalog name and if you have other questions.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » December 9th, 2020, 5:36 am

AlexanderShin wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 6:51 am
Hello, if still available, for this project may I do Section 4? My deadline would be until December 12th
Hi Alexander, welcome to LV! :D

I'm sorry to be the killjoy with this one, but if you need this completely finished by the 12th, meaning: getting to a PL OK, that's not likely to happen. We're all volunteers and may not be available rightaway. There's also no way to tell how many things will need to be corrected in the recording (this is a rather difficult read, and pretty long too) and how long this will take you.

I see you requested 4 sections in the Jung Psychology project, stating the same deadline. I'm not sure how you'd be able to complete those AND this section (which are both pretty difficult texts and longer recordings) by the 12th. Perhaps you should focus on the Jung sections to get these completed for sure.

Also, in your first post you mention you're 13? I'm rather uncomfortable having somebody so young read for this book about genocide... :? I honestly think this is not the right project for you, tight deadline or not, given the subject matter we're dealing with here. :oops:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

mikegloudemans

Post by mikegloudemans » December 9th, 2020, 6:11 pm

Availle wrote:
December 9th, 2020, 5:30 am
So, please check in again once you get your [ok] on your test, and let me know your catalog name and if you have other questions.
Thanks, the thumb-to-pinky rule is a good one to remember -- I'll do my best to get the initial volume correct so I don't have to worry about amplifying too much background noise. I have the OK to record now, so I'll confirm claiming Sections 1, 2, and 3.

This clears up the other questions I had too, thanks. One other thing though, am I correct in assuming we'll omit the footnotes too? It seems that some of them are just references but a few of them are explanatory.

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » December 9th, 2020, 6:13 pm

Okay, I'll put you in "officially" then. :wink:

Footnotes are optional in this project, if you find them interesting you can include them if you like. Please read "footnote - text - end of footnote" to indicate to the listener that this is not part of the main text.

Have fun! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

mikegloudemans

Post by mikegloudemans » December 10th, 2020, 2:35 pm

Ok, I'll do that. Also sorry I realized I forgot to give a catalog name! Mike Gloudemans is fine.

mikegloudemans

Post by mikegloudemans » December 11th, 2020, 9:29 am

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » December 11th, 2020, 5:23 pm

Thanks Mike! I'll also need the runtime of your recording to make sure everything has arrived.

I have changed your catalog name in database. Here is your catalog page where all your projects - running and finished - are listed:
https://librivox.org/sections/readers/15411
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

mikegloudemans

Post by mikegloudemans » December 12th, 2020, 4:53 am

Great! The runtime for Section 1 is 25:05.

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 » December 12th, 2020, 6:07 am

Hi Mike,
The PL for this first section is okay. This was a well read and gruesome account :shock:
==========
Susanne

mikegloudemans

Post by mikegloudemans » December 12th, 2020, 7:57 am

Thanks. Section 2 is not going to be any better :(

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 » December 12th, 2020, 11:27 am

mikegloudemans wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 7:57 am
Thanks. Section 2 is not going to be any better :(
Fortunately, I'll listen to it under bright blue skies.
==========
Susanne

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » December 12th, 2020, 5:49 pm

Thank you both!

Yes, I agree, it's definitely not a happy-happy-joy-joy read... :?
But I feel that these books are very important for people to hear/read, makes it harder to claim "oh, that never happened"...
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com