[COMPLETE] The Elect Lady by George MacDonald - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Progress update:
Last week I tried to contact both of our readers with unfinished "PL Note" chapters as well as overdue claims. I will give them another week to hopefully log on and answer before opening their sections to others.
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
Blog: Come Be Still
IG: @storytime.with.hannahmary
Readers needed for:
A Rough Shaking by George MacDonald
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Here's my last chapter. Sorry it took 87 years. :roll: I inadvertently gave Dawtie a Scottish accent all the way through, not just when she's speaking dialect. Because I was expecting Scots, and I was already a little ways in before I realized it was English. So I just went with it. :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/electlady_18_macdonald_128kb.mp3
22:07
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

mightyfelix wrote: May 18th, 2021, 8:44 pm Here's my last chapter. Sorry it took 87 years. :roll: I inadvertently gave Dawtie a Scottish accent all the way through, not just when she's speaking dialect. Because I was expecting Scots, and I was already a little ways in before I realized it was English. So I just went with it. :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/electlady_18_macdonald_128kb.mp3
22:07
Chapter 18 is PL OK and beautifully read as always. Thank you!
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

HannahMary wrote: May 12th, 2021, 10:47 am Progress update:
Last week I tried to contact both of our readers with unfinished "PL Note" chapters as well as overdue claims. I will give them another week to hopefully log on and answer before opening their sections to others.
I can download and fix Section 36 if you don't hear back from the reader--it just needs one snip and perhaps some noise reduction. The other section with PL notes probably does need to be re-recorded. I'd be glad to record some of these sections if you're willing to PL again.
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

JoannaHoyt wrote: May 19th, 2021, 10:37 am
HannahMary wrote: May 12th, 2021, 10:47 am Progress update:
I can download and fix Section 36 if you don't hear back from the reader--it just needs one snip and perhaps some noise reduction. The other section with PL notes probably does need to be re-recorded. I'd be glad to record some of these sections if you're willing to PL again.
Well, neither reader is logging on anymore, so I will need to open these up. If you can do the fixes to section 26, that would be great. Thanks Joanna!

It looks like 21 is the one that will need a new recording. Are you wanting to take that one? And let me know if you are interested in either of the other two that opened up as well. I'll PL for you.
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
Readers needed for:
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

HannahMary wrote: May 25th, 2021, 8:38 pm
Well, neither reader is logging on anymore, so I will need to open these up. If you can do the fixes to section 26, that would be great. Thanks Joanna!

It looks like 21 is the one that will need a new recording. Are you wanting to take that one? And let me know if you are interested in either of the other two that opened up as well. I'll PL for you.
Thanks for the update! I'll have the fix in for Section 26, and a new recording of chapter 21, on Sunday if not before. I am also interested in the other two chapters that have opened up, but I can't be sure of having them in before Monday next (June 7), which is later than I usually try to do orphaned projects--so you could leave those for me or post them where someone might get to them sooner, whichever seems best you. Thanks for being willing to PL!
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

JoannaHoyt wrote: May 26th, 2021, 10:24 am
Thanks for the update! I'll have the fix in for Section 26, and a new recording of chapter 21, on Sunday if not before. I am also interested in the other two chapters that have opened up, but I can't be sure of having them in before Monday next (June 7), which is later than I usually try to do orphaned projects--so you could leave those for me or post them where someone might get to them sooner, whichever seems best you. Thanks for being willing to PL!
Thanks so much, Joanna! No rush on your recording, as the other claimed/unfinished chapters still have till mid-June before they have to be finished (or reassigned.)
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Thank you!

I've shortened the opening silence in Chapter 26 and amplified it a little to pass Checker. Tried noise reduction to remove the faint background buzz, but thought it reduced the richness of the reader's voice too much. I wasn't sure whether to mark this as PL OK or have you PL it--for now it's marked as ready for spot PL. I've recorded 21 and will edit tomorrow. Thanks again!
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

JoannaHoyt wrote: May 26th, 2021, 5:48 pm Thank you!

I've shortened the opening silence in Chapter 26 and amplified it a little to pass Checker. Tried noise reduction to remove the faint background buzz, but thought it reduced the richness of the reader's voice too much. I wasn't sure whether to mark this as PL OK or have you PL it--for now it's marked as ready for spot PL. I've recorded 21 and will edit tomorrow. Thanks again!
Thanks, Joanna! I don't know the protocol for this situation either, so I went ahead and did a spot PL on 26 just in case required. PL OK!
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Thanks!

Here's the re-recorded Chapter 21, new duration 7:25
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/electlady_21_macdonald_128kb.mp3
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

HannahMary wrote: May 28th, 2021, 11:56 am
JoannaHoyt wrote: May 26th, 2021, 5:48 pm Thank you!

Thanks, Joanna! I don't know the protocol for this situation either, so I went ahead and did a spot PL on 26 just in case required. PL OK!
Yes, it's always best to have a second pair of ears, so this spot PL was just what we needed!
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

JoannaHoyt wrote: May 28th, 2021, 4:38 pm Thanks!

Here's the re-recorded Chapter 21, new duration 7:25
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/electlady_21_macdonald_128kb.mp3
21 is PL OK... thanks, Joanna!
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

HannahMary wrote: June 1st, 2021, 3:55 pm

Thank you for PLing! I just recorded Ch 22 and have one question about the text as Gutenberg gives it. Near the end of the chapter comes this passage: "The demon of having is as imperious and as capricious as that of drink, and there is no refuge from it but with the Father. “This kind goeth not out by prayer.”"
That's how it's printed, on the source link given here and on the other free etext I have found. I would have thought the Bible quote referenced was "This kind goeth not out but by prayer," which means nearly the opposite of what the printed text says; "goeth not out but by prayer" would also seem to fit the sense of MacDonald's previous sentence better. Should I make the change or read it as given? I have recorded the sentence both ways.
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

JoannaHoyt wrote: June 1st, 2021, 4:46 pm
HannahMary wrote: June 1st, 2021, 3:55 pm

Thank you for PLing! I just recorded Ch 22 and have one question about the text as Gutenberg gives it. Near the end of the chapter comes this passage: "The demon of having is as imperious and as capricious as that of drink, and there is no refuge from it but with the Father. “This kind goeth not out by prayer.”"
That's how it's printed, on the source link given here and on the other free etext I have found. I would have thought the Bible quote referenced was "This kind goeth not out but by prayer," which means nearly the opposite of what the printed text says; "goeth not out but by prayer" would also seem to fit the sense of MacDonald's previous sentence better. Should I make the change or read it as given? I have recorded the sentence both ways.
Wow, good point! I would say make the change since, as you say, it matches MacDonald's drift in this context. Also, since it is so close to an exact scriptural quotation, I don't believe he would have purposely changed it to the opposite meaning by leaving out a word.
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

JoannaHoyt wrote: June 1st, 2021, 4:46 pm Thank you for PLing! I just recorded Ch 22 and have one question about the text as Gutenberg gives it. Near the end of the chapter comes this passage: "The demon of having is as imperious and as capricious as that of drink, and there is no refuge from it but with the Father. “This kind goeth not out by prayer.”"
Okay, I dug into a scanned copy of an 1888 edition on archive.org and found the answer. Yes, it is supposed to read, "This kind goeth not out but by prayer."!! See page here: https://archive.org/details/electlady00macduoft/page/221/mode/1up

So glad you caught this, Joanna!
~ Hannah
Readers needed for: