Joan

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » November 2nd, 2020, 7:41 pm

Thank you, everyone! MW updated.

gcarlson

Post by gcarlson » November 2nd, 2020, 8:33 pm

Chapter 6 The Whaler
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/chap6_thewhaler_theuttermoststar_v.2_.mp3

I was hoping to be done sooner, as I had mentioned. So I apologize for the extra week added. A humbling experience, to be sure. Glad I did it, and on to more!

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » November 2nd, 2020, 8:43 pm

gcarlson wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 8:33 pm
Chapter 6 The Whaler
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/chap6_thewhaler_theuttermoststar_v.2_.mp3

I was hoping to be done sooner, as I had mentioned. So I apologize for the extra week added. A humbling experience, to be sure. Glad I did it, and on to more!
Thanks, Greg! Don't worry about the time frame. You submitted it in under a month, which is well within the expected time.

There are two things to note for now:
  • Every time you submit a file, you should remember to state how long the recording is, in minutes and seconds. We need this information at the time of cataloguing. It also acts as a check, to make sure that the correct file was uploaded and that no part of it was cut off in the uploading process. It looks to me like this file is 15:15. Is that correct?
  • Your filename is incorrect. The first post of each project will tell you exactly how to name your files, and it's important that everyone names them consistently so that they sort correctly. In this case, it should be: uttermoststar_06_boreham_128kb.mp3 Don't worry about correcting it just yet. Once Larry listens to your file, he will let you know if other corrections are needed. If so, you can fix the file name at that time. If not, I can fix it myself.

Tchaikovsky

Post by Tchaikovsky » November 3rd, 2020, 3:51 am

May I record Part 3 chapter 5-The Holly Tree?

silverquill

Post by silverquill » November 3rd, 2020, 9:30 am

paulbrianstewart wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 5:16 pm
Gidday MightyFelix,

Here is the updated file, with the required 5 seconds at the end.
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/uttermoststar_01_boreham_128kb.mp3

Have a great week.
Regards,
Paul Stewart
Thanks!
Now PL OK
~ Larry

silverquill

Post by silverquill » November 3rd, 2020, 9:32 am

mleigh wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 6:15 pm
Here are the following two chapters:

7 Pt 1 Ch 7: A Box of Perfume

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/uttermoststar_07_boreham_128kb.mp3
16:17

8 Pt 1 Ch 8: Slippers

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/uttermoststar_08_boreham_128kb.mp3
18:27

Chapter 8, especially, resonated with me. I am definitely a "slippers" person.

Thanks,

M
As I sit here in my slippers, I've marked these both PL OK. :)
Nothing is as evocative as smells. He left out the ocean, though, or slippers. :lol:
~ Larry

paulbrianstewart

Post by paulbrianstewart » November 3rd, 2020, 9:56 am

Gidday
May I do the part 3 ch: 8, when the tide turns?

Please and thank you
Paul S

silverquill

Post by silverquill » November 3rd, 2020, 10:01 am

gcarlson wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 8:33 pm
Chapter 6 The Whaler

Oh, my, what an impressive voice and excellent reading! It was truly a pleasure listening to this. :D

In addition to the incorrect file name, there are a couple of other things that need to be taken care of – the intro and the ending. Again, these are always given in the instructions for each project. They are somewhat standard, but may have some variations as in this case. For the intro:

====
o "Part [number], Chapter [number] of The Uttermost Star. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
o If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
o Say:
"The Uttermost Star, and Other Gleams of Fancy, by Frank W. Boreham. [Chapter title]"
====

So for the intro you should say:
Part 1 Chapter Six of the Uttermost Star. This is a LibriVox Recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit LibriVox DOT org. – [if you wish] Recording by [your name] The Uttermost Star, and Other Gleams of Fancy by Frank W. Boreham. The Whaler

====
END of recording
o At the end of the section, say:
"End of Part [number], Chapter [number]"
====

You need to add the ending, which should be, “End of Part 1, Chapter 6”
Then leave FIVE seconds of silence.

With these added, please upload the new recording with the correct file name, post the link with the file length as mm:ss

This is a superb recording, and I hope we’ll hear a lot mor eof you fine voice here on LibriVox, either here or on other projects.
~ Larry

gcarlson

Post by gcarlson » November 3rd, 2020, 5:21 pm

Oh my gosh I'm sorry I didn't get it right. I was a bit overwhelmed at how much difficulty I had with the text, that I didn't read the entirety of the instructions! I will get the file name right and add the intro and the endings you suggest and I apologize again for not following directions. Be back soon!
Thanks
G

silverquill

Post by silverquill » November 3rd, 2020, 7:45 pm

gcarlson wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 5:21 pm
Oh my gosh I'm sorry I didn't get it right. I was a bit overwhelmed at how much difficulty I had with the text, that I didn't read the entirety of the instructions! I will get the file name right and add the intro and the endings you suggest and I apologize again for not following directions. Be back soon!
Thanks
G
Not to worry!
There is a lot to take in at the beginning. But, it gets easier and becomes routine. Then you can concentrate on what you enjoy!
Yes, we all understand the feeling of being overwhelmed. It is not as easy as it looks, and I daresay we still find the challenges.
You've got a great voice and and easy reading style, so I hope we'll hear you a lot more. :D
~ Larry

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » November 3rd, 2020, 8:23 pm

Tchaikovsky wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 3:51 am
May I record Part 3 chapter 5-The Holly Tree?
Yep, I'll sign you up! :D Have fun, and ask if you have any questions!

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » November 3rd, 2020, 8:26 pm

silverquill wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 7:45 pm
gcarlson wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 5:21 pm
Thanks
G
Not to worry!
There is a lot to take in at the beginning. But, it gets easier and becomes routine. Then you can concentrate on what you enjoy!
Yes, we all understand the feeling of being overwhelmed. It is not as easy as it looks, and I daresay we still find the challenges.
You've got a great voice and and easy reading style, so I hope we'll hear you a lot more. :D

Larry said it perfectly, so there's no need for me to add my bit, but I'll echo him anyway. Mistakes like this are common and expected when you're brand new, so no big deal. There is a lot to learn and take in. No one expects you to get it all at once. Don't be hard on yourself, but just enjoy the process. Stick around, and it will all become second nature in no time. :thumbs:

gcarlson

Post by gcarlson » November 4th, 2020, 3:04 pm

I really appreciate how you all have been so supportive and understanding, not to mention complimentary. This is something I have wanted to dive into (voice work) for a long time. I defiantly need the practice, and when I heard about your site I knew it would really help. So, without further adieu, I present...
Chapter 6 the whaler
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/uttermoststar_06_boreham_128kb.mp3
15:35

I added the recommended intro, added the ending, did the 5 sec blank as well. Changed the file name. 15:35 is the time.
hopefully everything is correct, I'll check back soon!
thanks
Greg

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » November 4th, 2020, 8:30 pm

Thanks, Greg! I've updated the MW. Larry will check it soon. :)