[COMPLETE] Flowers of Freethought (Second Series) by G.W. Foote - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Flowers of Freethought (Second Series) by George William Foote (1850 - 1915).

This project is now complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/flowers-of-freethought-second-series-by-george-william-foote/

A collection of 55 short essays by George William Foote, who founded the magazine "The Freethinker", which is still published. These essays, previously published in "The Freethinker" over more than 10 years, detail his views on religion and Christianity. Foote writes about diverse topics like specific stories from the Bible, the devil, blasphemy and heretics, miracles, the weather, and the view of Christianity on women. What unites these essays is his conviction that atheism is the logical and natural position with respect to religion and gods. - Summary by Availle ( Availle)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/30203
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

In essays with a * please read the short notes directly after the title. Thx.

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Philosophy/Atheism & Agnosticism; *Non-fiction/Essays & Short Works
    Keywords that describe the book: religion, Christianity, collection, essays, atheism, apologetics, freethought
    ============================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of Flowers of Freethought (Second Series). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Flowers of Freethought (Second Series), by George William Foote. Section [number and title]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Flowers of Freethought (Second Series), by George William Foote. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    flowersfreethought2_##_foote_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. flowersfreethought2_01_foote_128kb.mp3)

Please ignore ID3 tags - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

May I claim section 7?
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

You're in! Thanks for making the first claim! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Sections 12 & 28 for me, please!
Jo
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks for claiming Jo! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
TomHersant

Post by TomHersant »

Greetings,

My, what a tasty menu is presented to us. Might I be so fortunate as to dive into Sections 27, 42 and 55?

Tommy
Blackboards are truly remarkable!
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

May I read section 41? Big fan of Kit Marlowe :D
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

4 sections assigned, thank you gentlemen! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
AnaNaumoska

Post by AnaNaumoska »

Hello fellow freethinkers!
Glad to be part of the second series too!
:9:
Best,
Ana :mrgreen:

salus populi suprema lex
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Could I do sections 2 and 3?

Thanks!
Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

May I read Section 21?

Quote for the day:
"slavery itself, considered as such in its essential nature, is not at all contrary to the natural and divine law,"

- Pope Pius IX, 1866

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Availle »

Two sections for Colleen, one for Algy - thank you! :D

As for your quote, well... that the good book doesn't have anything against slavery should tell you something...

There is a wonderful video on youtube "The Catholic Church is a Force for Good in the World", a debate from 2009 with Stephen Fry and Christopher Hitchens on one side and Archbishop John Onaiyekan and Ann Widdecombe on the other.

At some point the Archbishop tries to defend himself with a "but we should be forgiven because we didn't know" to which the correct answer is "gee, if there were but a book out there that told you how to be a decent human being..." The two were completely outclassed.

If you've got two hours to spare, here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZRcYaAYWg4
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Do we start off by saying 'chapter [number]" or "section [number]"?
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Availle »

SECTION please! Thanks for catching that, I fixed the first post accordingly.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
TomHersant

Post by TomHersant »

Greetings,
Here is what may be a first for many of us Free Thinkers: Hell is Happy! Section 27 explains all in a mere 13mm06ss.
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/flowersfreethought2_27_foote_128kb.mp3
Tommy
Blackboards are truly remarkable!