[COMPLETE] Keep-Well Stories for Little Folks-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 6703
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » November 7th, 2020, 9:20 am

Thank you both!

Also, sections 17 and 18 are orphaned. And I have contacted the reader for 5, 8, and 13 and hope to hear back soon.

misikis719
Posts: 24
Joined: August 6th, 2020, 2:16 pm

Post by misikis719 » November 7th, 2020, 3:38 pm

Hello! Can I read sections 17 and 18? Thank you!

OooThatsNifty
Posts: 271
Joined: June 13th, 2020, 11:54 pm

Post by OooThatsNifty » November 7th, 2020, 3:42 pm

Hello again! Here are my remaining sections:

#14 - What Temperance Brings / The White Ship
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/keepwellstories_14_farinholtjones_128kb.mp3
Time: 10:17

#21 - A New Story of the Lion and the Mouse
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/keepwellstories_21_farinholtjones_128kb.mp3
Time: 3:48

Thanks again - let me know if anything needs a touch up!
Studies in Stagecraft, by Clayton Hamilton - More essays on / criticism of early 20th Century theatre practices. Plenty of sections up for grabs!

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 6703
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » November 7th, 2020, 4:12 pm

misikis719 wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 3:38 pm
Hello! Can I read sections 17 and 18? Thank you!
Absolutely, thank you!

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 6703
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » November 7th, 2020, 4:14 pm

OooThatsNifty wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 3:42 pm
Hello again! Here are my remaining sections:

#14 - What Temperance Brings / The White Ship
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/keepwellstories_14_farinholtjones_128kb.mp3
Time: 10:17

#21 - A New Story of the Lion and the Mouse
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/keepwellstories_21_farinholtjones_128kb.mp3
Time: 3:48

Thanks again - let me know if anything needs a touch up!
Thank you!

loon
Posts: 890
Joined: December 31st, 2016, 9:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Post by loon » November 7th, 2020, 6:31 pm

OooThatsNifty wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 3:42 pm
#14 - What Temperance Brings / The White Ship
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/keepwellstories_14_farinholtjones_128kb.mp3
Time: 10:17
Section 14 - PL OK - and pretty dire warning to deliver to the Little Folks. Section 21 coming up.
Rich Brown
FullLoon.com

loon
Posts: 890
Joined: December 31st, 2016, 9:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Post by loon » November 7th, 2020, 6:40 pm

OooThatsNifty wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 3:42 pm
#21 - A New Story of the Lion and the Mouse
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/keepwellstories_21_farinholtjones_128kb.mp3
Time: 3:48
Section 21 - PL OK.
The Plague - now there's a story to read to Little Folks just before bed-time.
Rich Brown
FullLoon.com

misikis719
Posts: 24
Joined: August 6th, 2020, 2:16 pm

Post by misikis719 » November 8th, 2020, 8:44 pm


mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 6703
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » November 8th, 2020, 8:48 pm

misikis719 wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 8:44 pm
Here is Section 18. Time is 4:23.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/keepwellstories_18_farinholtjones_128kb.mp3
Thank you! :D

loon
Posts: 890
Joined: December 31st, 2016, 9:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Post by loon » November 8th, 2020, 8:50 pm

misikis719 wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 8:44 pm
Here is Section 18. Time is 4:23.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/keepwellstories_18_farinholtjones_128kb.mp3
I'll be with you momentarily. A different chapter in a different book also came in.
Rich Brown
FullLoon.com

misikis719
Posts: 24
Joined: August 6th, 2020, 2:16 pm

Post by misikis719 » November 8th, 2020, 9:00 pm


loon
Posts: 890
Joined: December 31st, 2016, 9:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Post by loon » November 8th, 2020, 9:22 pm

misikis719 wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 8:44 pm
Here is Section 18. Time is 4:23.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/keepwellstories_18_farinholtjones_128kb.mp3
Section 18 - The Little Fairies - is PL OK.

There is a bit of background noise in your recording - when you're feeling confident with your way around Audacity you may want to try using the Audacity Noise Reduction effect. Let me know if you are interested and I can point you to some help pages. A warning, though, it's possible to go way overboard trying to reduce background noises to the point where it harms your voice quality.
Rich Brown
FullLoon.com

misikis719
Posts: 24
Joined: August 6th, 2020, 2:16 pm

Post by misikis719 » November 8th, 2020, 9:32 pm

loon wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 9:22 pm
misikis719 wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 8:44 pm
Here is Section 18. Time is 4:23.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/keepwellstories_18_farinholtjones_128kb.mp3
Section 18 - The Little Fairies - is PL OK.

There is a bit of background noise in your recording - when you're feeling confident with your way around Audacity you may want to try using the Audacity Noise Reduction effect. Let me know if you are interested and I can point you to some help pages. A warning, though, it's possible to go way overboard trying to reduce background noises to the point where it harms your voice quality.

There is? I guess I didn't realize that. Are you talking about just the kind of ambient air sounds or something more like my breathing and lips? When I first started recording for librivox, I was totally distracted by hearing my own breath and lip sounds, but I realized that it takes a lot of work to try to cut them all out of the recording. It was taking me hours to do. If you think it is a bother, it wouldn't take me long to redo it or to try out the noise reduction. Or, I can see about sitting in a different place. Thanks!!

loon
Posts: 890
Joined: December 31st, 2016, 9:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Post by loon » November 8th, 2020, 9:56 pm

misikis719 wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 9:32 pm
loon wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 9:22 pm
misikis719 wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 8:44 pm
Here is Section 18. Time is 4:23.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/keepwellstories_18_farinholtjones_128kb.mp3
Section 18 - The Little Fairies - is PL OK.

There is a bit of background noise in your recording - when you're feeling confident with your way around Audacity you may want to try using the Audacity Noise Reduction effect. Let me know if you are interested and I can point you to some help pages. A warning, though, it's possible to go way overboard trying to reduce background noises to the point where it harms your voice quality.

There is? I guess I didn't realize that. Are you talking about just the kind of ambient air sounds or something more like my breathing and lips? When I first started recording for librivox, I was totally distracted by hearing my own breath and lip sounds, but I realized that it takes a lot of work to try to cut them all out of the recording. It was taking me hours to do. If you think it is a bother, it wouldn't take me long to redo it or to try out the noise reduction. Or, I can see about sitting in a different place. Thanks!!
The background noise is fairly low, but it's enough for the Checker program to call out. I didn't hear breath and lip sounds from you. You're right about breath and lip noised taking for-ev-er to edit out - and not worth all the time - it's best to learn what's going on when you make such noises and - for example - keep a glass of water handy so your mouth doesn't dry out and start making strange smacking noises. But as I said, I'm not getting that from your recording.

What I did hear was ongoing ambient sound such as might be coming from outdoors or from somewhere in the household. Often that's something you're just stuck with. If you want to try the Noise Reduction effect in Audacity you can read about how to use it here:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning#Noise_Reduction_with_free_Audacity_2.1.0_and_later_versions
If you are more visually oriented Adrian Stephans made a video demo on Noise Reduction for LibriVox here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsFkmvF-9d0
(Phil Chenevert also made a video, but it's for an older version of Audacity and some of the things Phil talks about don't exist in the software now.)

If you don't want to do anything there's no need - your section is already OK. If you want to try the software route, so so and upload your section again, then drop a note here and I'll give it a spot check. OK?
Rich Brown
FullLoon.com

loon
Posts: 890
Joined: December 31st, 2016, 9:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Post by loon » November 8th, 2020, 10:06 pm

misikis719 wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 9:00 pm
Here is Section 17. Time is 5:13.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/keepwellstories_17_farinholtjones_128kb.mp3
Section 17 - Little Barefoot - is also PL OK, with the same notes about background noises as in 18. To emphasize, there's not any need to make any changes.

The book makes hookworms sound like tiny vampires, right?
Rich Brown
FullLoon.com

Post Reply