[COMPLETE] Book of Thousand Nights & a Night (Arabian Nights), Vol 12-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

SkyRider wrote: January 5th, 2021, 7:57 am Section 35
15:58 please clean up repeated phrase "of the"
All fixed (unnoticeable change in time)

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thousandnightsandanight12_35_anonymous_128kb.mp3
SkyRider wrote: January 5th, 2021, 7:57 am Section 36
There needs to be 5s of silence at the end of the file.
3:14 "rejoyeth" should be "rejoiceth"
12:52 "...end of her song, and they sprinkled..." should be "...end of her song, Al-Abbas swooned away and they sprinkled..."
Absolutely no idea how I missed that last one... Go figure!

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thousandnightsandanight12_36_anonymous_128kb.mp3 (19:16)

Annie
DR: The Mystery of a Hansom Cab (Readers Wanted)
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

I am without internet at the moment. Not sure for how long.
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Laveena27 wrote: December 26th, 2020, 10:43 pm Section 56:
Section 56 is PL OK - thank you!
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

BrizeCrize wrote: December 28th, 2020, 8:49 am
All good - that's PL OK. I sometimes get caught by how differently Americans and Brits pronounce some words!
I just noticed the above comment (but, pray, have long noticed how most Librivox readers sound "funny" in a British sort of way) and invite you (and other PL's) to...uh...correct me (if only by way of comment or suggestion) in any "colonist" pronunciations so I can at least consider your suggestion.
Hi Brize...

Sorry if I wasn't clear - my comment was an observation rather than a judgment. Language changes over time and I suspect the English Burton spoke a century and a half ago would have sounded different from either of us today. I certainly wouldn't claim mine as any more "right".

What I'd noted is that as these books have been marked for "standard" PLing, I often don't have the text in front of me when listening through, but only go back to it if a phrase doesn't make sense. I've been doing that a lot more than usual which I suspect is probably down to the unusual lexicon of the text bringing out a higher proportion of words where the pronunciation has diverged enough that they're not immediately recognizable.

I've assigned you section 51 as requested. I double-checked the word count with my handy-dandy browser plugin and I think I undercounted first time around - Ser Giovanni's version alone came out as over 4000 words. I've changed wordcount tool in the intervening period but I can't imagine them differing that much.
dltrial

Post by dltrial »

I would like to claim sections 53 and 54
slimshady11

Post by slimshady11 »

SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

BrizeCrize wrote: December 28th, 2020, 1:17 pm Attached is section 40, runtime 19:29
Section 40 is PL OK - thank you!
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Sshoger wrote: December 31st, 2020, 2:46 pm I'd like to read 51 and 52. Thanks!
Section 51 has already been taken, but I've allocated 52 to you. That said, as they're two parts of the same tale, do let me know if you'd prefer something different.

Cheers,
Paul
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

fluffypinka wrote: December 31st, 2020, 3:06 pm Could I sign up to do sections 22 and 23?
But of course. They're yours.
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

dltrial wrote: January 5th, 2021, 5:50 pm I would like to claim sections 53 and 54
I've assigned those to you. Enjoy!
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Lmnei wrote: December 28th, 2020, 4:33 pm Here are my last three recordings I signed up for -
Thanks, Lynda. Could I ask you to correct the following, please?

Section 41
7:10 "eight and thirty giblets" should be "eight and thirty gibbets" - https://www.howtopronounce.com/gibbet

Section 65
1:09 "wife and sorts" should be "wife and sons"
1:15 "his further martyrdom" should be "his future martyrdom"
(Optional extra) 4:35 mss is fine, but if you ever want to expand the abbreviation, it stands for "manuscripts"

Section 70 PL OK

Cheers,
Paul
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, I haven't done anything for this yet, so could I take Section 69?
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

silverquill wrote: January 6th, 2021, 9:06 am Well, I haven't done anything for this yet, so could I take Section 69?
It's yours.
dltrial

Post by dltrial »

When reading the chapter title, you don't want the volume and page number read as it is in the text?

How do you want to handle foot notes?
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

AngeliqueAnja wrote: January 1st, 2021, 5:02 pm And done... Finally... Is it wrong to be thoroughly glad that you've finally finished a part that you chose and then it turned out to be so much harder than you expected? When i mentioned it to some friends they asked if it was the Arabic that made it hard and I had to say no, while it wasn't easy, I found the old English so much harder and they just laughed and asked why because that was my thing (I've always enjoyed a good bit of Shakespeare or Chaucer...) But I've never had to recite any!

Anyway, my last two parts are ready for PLing.
It's not as old as you may think - mid- to late-1800s, but Burton was clearly trying to give his translation a specific voice. I'm afraid that there are a few corrections needed on these.

Section 37
10:25 repeated phrase "But I fear not, I end not, I turn me not"
15:35 "mistress of her own land" should be "mistress of her own hand"
16:34 "Thine be ready" should be "Thine be the rede"
21:43 repeated phrase "so they paced"
4:23 OPTIONAL EXTRA - there's a really long silence (almost 4 seconds). It's not wrong, but it sounds out of place and would be far better if you were to trim it to a second or so

Section 38
2:57 'E'en then his own' should be 'E'en as his own'
3:08 'I am a King' should be 'I have a King'
7:08 repeated phrase "When King Al-Aziz"

Cheers,
Paul
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

dltrial wrote: January 6th, 2021, 2:19 pm When reading the chapter title, you don't want the volume and page number read as it is in the text?

How do you want to handle foot notes?
You can ignore footnotes and the page numbers, but please preserve the volume number as the partition into volumes is preserved in the layout on Librivox.

Thanks for checking! :)