[SCIENCE] A History of Astronomy by W. W. Bryant - availle

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles » October 30th, 2020, 1:19 am

Memories of Sydney University Astronomy Club nights spent out in a remote location away from the city lights. The chorus of frogs, the squabbling of flying foxes, the curious possums. Things Northern Hemisphere folks never see, at least not well and high up in the sky. The Jewel Box and the Coal Sack in Crux. You can't appreciate Scorpius until you see it wheel directly overhead in a winter's sky. :9:

This truck-driver actually has a BSc degree earned in the early 1980s. Ahh, how time passes.

Anyway, may I close out the last unclaimed section please... "VIII Newton's Successors: Laplace".

Regards,
Chris
"Sorry, my tongue got in the way of my eye-tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying..."
Son of the Exiles YouTube Channel
Dramatic Selections from Henry Lawson's Short Stories
(Poetry) Wine and Roses, by Victor J. Daley

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » October 30th, 2020, 4:02 pm

It's all yours, thank you!

But just in case this is all a ploy to get me to read another poem of yours: It won't work. :P

Unfortunately, it seems that I will have to open up a few more sections in the coming week, so let's move back to "Readers Wanted".
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » November 3rd, 2020, 4:21 pm

2 more sections opened.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

RoMohr

Post by RoMohr » November 4th, 2020, 5:10 pm

Could I request sections 18 and 19?

I'm new, here is my OK'd test:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=83550

R

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » November 4th, 2020, 6:15 pm

HI there and welcome to LV and to this project! :thumbs:

It's great that you got your OK for the test already - well done!
So, I have assigned those two sections to you, you have 2 months to complete them.

One thing you may want to think about is a catalog name. If you're planning on saying a name in your recordings, this is a good choice, so that your fans can look for you in our catalog. But anything else is fine too, really.

Anything you need to know about the intro/outro/filename... is in the first post of this thread. Let me know if you have questions.

Have fun on here! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

Donzo

Post by Donzo » November 5th, 2020, 12:08 am

I would like to read section 29

Thanks

Donzo

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » November 5th, 2020, 2:51 am

Hi there and welcome to this project!

I see you have not done your test yet, this would be the first thing to get out of the way before you start recording.
Details are in your welcome mail or at this link:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

I am holding section 29 for you for a month. Please get back to me when you got an [OK] on your test.

Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

RoMohr

Post by RoMohr » November 5th, 2020, 10:18 am

Availle wrote:
November 4th, 2020, 6:15 pm

So, I have assigned those two sections to you, you have 2 months to complete them.

One thing you may want to think about is a catalog name. If you're planning on saying a name in your recordings, this is a good choice, so that your fans can look for you in our catalog. But anything else is fine too, really.

Anything you need to know about the intro/outro/filename... is in the first post of this thread. Let me know if you have questions.

Thanks Ava!

The text has a lot of non-English scientist names (I'm reasonably ok with European language pronunciation) but wondered if you might have any tips for that? I found this video for German names but not found much for French and Italian yet...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xp4F1h0YZM

Cheers,
R

djblackett

Post by djblackett » November 6th, 2020, 8:35 am

RoMohr wrote:
November 5th, 2020, 10:18 am
Availle wrote:
November 4th, 2020, 6:15 pm

Thanks Ava!

The text has a lot of non-English scientist names (I'm reasonably ok with European language pronunciation) but wondered if you might have any tips for that? I found this video for German names but not found much for French and Italian yet...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xp4F1h0YZM

Cheers,
R
You can google the pronunciation of them. Or if you can't find anything reliable, you can make a list and post it here. I speak French and a bit of Italian. I could read them one after another for you if that was helpful

drwolfe88

Post by drwolfe88 » November 6th, 2020, 4:09 pm

Hello! I would like to claim section 30 please.
Also, sorry for not adding my time from section 33 - it was 9mins.

Cheers!

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » November 6th, 2020, 4:34 pm

RoMohr wrote:
People's names are usually very difficult to figure out. Plus: You might pronounce them differently in English anyway ;-)
First thing I do here is to check wikipedia if there's a pronunciation given (it might be for famous people). If not, I look where the person is coming from, to give me a hint as to general pronunciation; German, French, Spanish, English...
If all else fails, I wing it. :lol: It seems that if you say something with enough conviction, people will believe you.

You can also post here, as you see, we have a very international troupe, there's always somebody who knows something and is willing to help.

drwolfe88 wrote:
November 6th, 2020, 4:09 pm
Hello! I would like to claim section 30 please.
Also, sorry for not adding my time from section 33 - it was 9mins.

Could you at least wait until I free it up again? :P
It's yours, have fun!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

RoMohr

Post by RoMohr » November 9th, 2020, 6:31 pm

djblackett wrote:
November 6th, 2020, 8:35 am
You can google the pronunciation of them. Or if you can't find anything reliable, you can make a list and post it here. I speak French and a bit of Italian. I could read them one after another for you if that was helpful
Thank you djblackett! That would be super useful indeed, I might just take you up on that! I will compile the list of names from the text....

RoMohr wrote:
Availle wrote:
November 6th, 2020, 4:34 pm
People's names are usually very difficult to figure out. Plus: You might pronounce them differently in English anyway ;-)
First thing I do here is to check wikipedia if there's a pronunciation given (it might be for famous people). If not, I look where the person is coming from, to give me a hint as to general pronunciation; German, French, Spanish, English...
If all else fails, I wing it. :lol: It seems that if you say something with enough conviction, people will believe you.

You can also post here, as you see, we have a very international troupe, there's always somebody who knows something and is willing to help.
Good tips, thank you Ava! And as you can see djblackett made a very generous offer to read the French and Italian names. :)

SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles » November 16th, 2020, 12:01 am

Chapter 8 - Newton's Successors: Laplace completed.
Length - 16:35

French, German, Italian names, with a supplementary Dutch guy thrown in.

It is a little-known fact outside of Australia that the continent was originally called "New Holland", and that the first European discoverers were the Dutch. But they landed in the northwest where desert basically meets sea and went, "Well, this is ridiculous ... clearly we cannot grow marijuana here" and sailed away. :wink:

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/historyofastronomy_08_bryant_128kb.mp3

Cheers,
Chris
"Sorry, my tongue got in the way of my eye-tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying..."
Son of the Exiles YouTube Channel
Dramatic Selections from Henry Lawson's Short Stories
(Poetry) Wine and Roses, by Victor J. Daley

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » November 16th, 2020, 1:04 am

Thank you!

And Tasmania was Van Diemen's Land, wasn't it?
History is interesting!

I can't blame anybody for avoiding Australia - practically everything on that continent has evolved to kill people... :shock:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

Manders375

Post by Manders375 » November 17th, 2020, 6:23 pm

Batch PL notes:
Section 8: PL OK
Section 23: Spot PL OK. Sounds a lot better, thanks!
Section 31: PL OK
Section 33: PL OK

Thanks, everyone!
Amanda Mehl
"...a magnificent sulphurous conflagration of Promethean flames blazing in his little heart." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher