Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

jenno wrote: December 31st, 2020, 9:14 pm Here is section 7

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/littlejourneys_greatbusinessmen_07_hubbard_128kb.mp3

duration 33.24
Both Sections 7 and 8 PL OK!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

SiddhantShah wrote: January 1st, 2021, 4:36 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/littlejourneys_greatbusinessmen_22_128kb.mp3

Above is my upload for Section 22.

Thank you!
A nice reading. There are a few silences that could be shortened, but it is not something that detracts too much from your recording. The one thing that must be done, however, is the remove the book ending outro from your section. Simply end with "End of Section 22" and make sure you have a full 5 seconds of silence at the very end. Thank you!

Added by Availle: Also, the filename is wrong. Please check the first post again and upload with the correct filename please.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you Kevin! :)
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
jenno

Post by jenno »

jenno

Post by jenno »

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Excellent, thank you Jennifer! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Jennifer, both sections PL OK!

Are you using the envelope tool on your recordings by chance? I'm trying to figure out why some segments of your recordings fall below the expected volume. The files pass the Checker program, but Checker takes the average of the files' volumes. In particular, the opening of both these recordings come out rather quiet. I don't think anything needs to be corrected necessarily, but you might want to have a look.

Let me know if you decide to modify anything and I'll be happy to have a look and listen.
jenno

Post by jenno »

I have no idea what the envelope tool does ?? Am always keen to improve the quality of my recordings.

I try to record a piece all at one sitting without changing position or microphone etc but am obviously varying something without being aware of what it is.

Please tell me more .

Jennifer
jenno

Post by jenno »

Hello there Kevin

I have just been looking at a few tutorials on the envelope tool as well as compressor.

I have attempted to use envelope on the file for Chapter 9. Can i re-send it to you for comment ??

Should I do that via the uploader or will that complicate the system ?

Jennifer
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

It depends if you think it's an improvement. :wink:

The old file will be renamed so that the MW always points to the correct (i.e., latest) file.
If you don't want to do that, maybe upload to "tests" while you're, well, testing this out?
In this case, maybe cut the file down to the first 5 minutes or so?
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

jenno wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 8:42 pm I have no idea what the envelope tool does ?? Am always keen to improve the quality of my recordings.

I try to record a piece all at one sitting without changing position or microphone etc but am obviously varying something without being aware of what it is.

Please tell me more .

Jennifer
Oh, I'm sorry for not being more complete in my observations. It is the envelope tool which can cause the problem.

The best thing, for now, is to observe the physical 'sound wave' produced by Audacity and see where the volume is lower. (The 'wave' will not be as tall or deep.) One can then use ReplayGain for those sections and see by how much the volume should be raised. If you'd like, I'll be more specific later in the day. (It's early here.) I'll give you a better idea of what I found and offer suggestions.

Let me say that your readings are great, full of expression!
jenno

Post by jenno »

Thank you Kevin

I have never used the envelope tool . did not really understand its usage. However I do use Replay gain but have always applied it to the entire file. I realise that I should, perhaps , only use it on those parts of the file that appear to be quieter ?? I really do not understand why certain parts are quiet. If it is mainly the intro perhaps it is because I am so used to speaking those phrases that I just reel them off without paying much attention. different to having to read some text which is unfamiliar. I will endeavour to correct that at my next reading.

I would certainly appreciate some more advice, when you have the time and energy.

Thank you

Jennifer.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

jenno wrote: January 4th, 2021, 2:15 pm Thank you Kevin

I have never used the envelope tool . did not really understand its usage. However I do use Replay gain but have always applied it to the entire file. I realise that I should, perhaps , only use it on those parts of the file that appear to be quieter ?? I really do not understand why certain parts are quiet. If it is mainly the intro perhaps it is because I am so used to speaking those phrases that I just reel them off without paying much attention. different to having to read some text which is unfamiliar. I will endeavour to correct that at my next reading.

I would certainly appreciate some more advice, when you have the time and energy.

Thank you

Jennifer.
I'm just turning to it now. Perhaps you could check again in an hour or so?