21:22 How completely has all this changed, you say Now
26:28 which no other career can promise, you say rear
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 1 is PL OK. :thumbs:
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

7 and 8 are PL OK. This chapter drips with good advice for young men to get ahead, and you read it well. Thank you. I wonder what Carnegie would say about college kids staring into their iPhone screens, playing video games all day and night, while on the job. He did say new businesses opportunities would continue to come along!
dqtcat

Post by dqtcat »

Section 18 - Variety and Uniformity uploaded

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/empireofbusiness_18_carnegie_128kb.mp3
Length: 16:20
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

I can take the last unclaimed section (Wages) as well.

Joanne Turner
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Kalamareader wrote: August 28th, 2020, 10:58 am
msfry wrote: August 27th, 2020, 11:57 am Section 15 is PL OK

PL Notes Section 20
1:17 repeat, In apprehension
2:27 after vege-tation arose, you say "vegi-cation". I had a good laugh at that.
4:27 Herbert Spencer, you say Hubert
7:33 which alone can determine its own wants, you say can be determined its own wants. Could just cut out "be" and slice off the final "d" in determined, rather than try to match a re-recorded segment.
Michele, thanks for the catches.

1:17 Deleted ( :roll: )

2:27 I really think I said that correctly. I listened to it about four times and heard "Vegitation".

4:27 Corrected

7:33 I tried and hope it works. It worked on it for about 15 minutes. The 'be' came out easily, but the "ed" not so much. If it works, good, if not, send it back and I will rerecord that whole section.

Wayne
Was this somehow missed? :hmm:

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Kalamareader wrote: September 8th, 2020, 8:34 pm
Michele, thanks for the catches.

1:17 Deleted ( :roll: )

2:27 I really think I said that correctly. I listened to it about four times and heard "Vegitation".

4:27 Corrected

7:33 I tried and hope it works. It worked on it for about 15 minutes. The 'be' came out easily, but the "ed" not so much. If it works, good, if not, send it back and I will rerecord that whole section.

Wayne
Was this somehow missed? :hmm:

Wayne
[/quote]I didn't see a link to your newly uploaded file, which you would normally include in the post above. I suppose I could check out the link in the MW to see if that link is the revised one. I'll do that later today.
msfry

Post by msfry »

jhturner wrote: September 7th, 2020, 2:03 pm I can take the last unclaimed section (Wages) as well.

Joanne Turner
Thanks Joanne. Section 14 is yours.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 18 is PL OK. He sounds much like Robert Ingersoll in his praise of scientists and artists, in fact they were contemporaries and I just read (listening to Carnegie's autobiography) that he knew Ingersoll. Very interesting chapter, and well read! This type of material is right up your alley! :thumbs:
djpentz

Post by djpentz »

msfry wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 9:36 am Hi Darryl, and welcome to Librivox. No problem with a British accent whatever, but you have chosen some fairly long sections to inaugurate your foray into recording. My recommendation is you start with 17, the shortest of the 3, and see how it goes. At about 4000 words, that file alone will end up being around 25 minutes long. I'm looking forward to what Carnegie says on the subject. I'll reserve the two parts of Wealth for you as well.

Please give me the name you would like to show up in our catalog. Could be your real name, username, or nickname, but once selected it cannot be changed for any catalogued work.
Hi Michele,

I think per your wisdom I should maybe take my name off for sections 11 and 12. As 'luck' would have it I've come down with a cold (yes, cold not Covid :) ) which has affected my voice and halted my progress for a bit. I'm on leave next week so I hope to get section 17 done for you, but I don't want to slow things down and I see that there's excellent progress on all chapters, so I suggest I keep my commitment to section 17 and if I get through that and the other 2 are still open, then I'll take them again. How does that sound? I apologise if my overzealousness has complicated things for you. :(

Regards,
Darryl
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

Section 14 (Wages) is uploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/empireofbusiness_14_carnegie_128kb.mp3

Time is 15:52.

Joanne
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Darryl. I'll be looking for 17 in the near future, (or I'll have to chase you around the moon and back on my broomstick). Take care of yourself. :D
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks Joanne. I look forward to listening soon.