[COMPLETE][Short Stories]The Black Cat Vol. 01 No. 08 May 1896 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » August 13th, 2020, 9:40 am

The Black Cat Vol. 01 No. 08 May 1896 by Various ( - ).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/black-cat-01-08-may1896-by-various/
The Black Cat (1895-1922) was a monthly literary magazine, publishing original short stories, often about uncanny or fantastical topics. Many writers were largely unknown, but some famous authors also wrote original material for this magazine.<br>
This is the eighth issue with the following 5 stories:<br>
"For fame, money, or love ?" by R. Ottolengui / ''A No Account Niggah'', by Leonard M. Prince / "A hundred thousand dollar trance", by Eugene Shade Bisbee / "The misfit gown", by Elmer Cook Rice / "The shifting sand", by C. C. van Orsdall ( Sonia)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.

Claiming is restricted to one section per reader, to have the maximum of different voices in this project.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/stream/TheBlackCatV01no12189609/The Black Cat v01no08 (1896-05)
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin ============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of The Black Cat Vol. 01 No. 08 May 1896. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Black Cat Vol. 01 No. 08 May 1896. Section [number]: [Title & author]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [Number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Black Cat Vol. 01 No. 08 May 1896."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      blackcat0108may1896_#_various_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where # is the section number (e.g. blackcat0108may1896_1_various_128kb.mp3)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Kitty
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
      Any questions?
      Please post below

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » August 13th, 2020, 9:46 am

With the 7th issue nearly finished, I think it's time to launch the next Black Cat. 5 exciting stories waiting for interested readers. :9:

As before, I want to keep this as a one-story-per-reader-project so we can have the maximum of voices in each magazine.

Now I am looking forward to this selection.

Sonia

JulieB3

Post by JulieB3 » August 13th, 2020, 10:29 am

Can I have section 4, The Misfit Gown? Thanks.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » August 13th, 2020, 10:43 am

JulieB3 wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 10:29 am
Can I have section 4, The Misfit Gown?
when I saw this title, I was thinking you might have a go at it :9: thank you, and great to have you in yet another issue of the Black Cat. Have fun !

Sonia

JulieB3

Post by JulieB3 » August 13th, 2020, 11:03 am

It is the one best suited to me in this issue. 8-)

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » August 15th, 2020, 6:33 am

I would like to claim section 2 please.
Eager to get started recording? Follow these 7 steps to recording! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKLWam9cfVo&t=74s

Who walked off with our LibriVox limbo stick! Seriously, how low can you go.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » August 15th, 2020, 10:30 am

philchenevert wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 6:33 am
I would like to claim section 2 please.
wohooo, hey Phil, great to have you read for the Black Cat magazine :9: Sure I'll sign you up. The title promises some interesting dialect. But I'm sure you are up for that. Good luck.

And with that I think it's time to move out of the launch pad.

Sonia

smithjob

Post by smithjob » August 15th, 2020, 2:46 pm

Hello,

If noone has claimed it I would like to try Section 5. The shifting sand, by C. C. van Orsdall. This will be my first recording here so for the catalog we can use my full name: Joshua W. Smith. I don't have a website or blog(yet!) if it's possible to use an e-mail, that can be attached.

Hope I can help work on this project! I read over the text and its a very interesting piece. The Back Cat seems like quite the hidden gem! :clap:

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » August 16th, 2020, 1:13 am

Hi Joshua, and a warm welcome to our forum :D
smithjob wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 2:46 pm
If noone has claimed it I would like to try Section 5. The shifting sand, by C. C. van Orsdall. This will be my first recording here so for the catalog we can use my full name: Joshua W. Smith. I don't have a website or blog(yet!) if it's possible to use an e-mail, that can be attached. My email is ******.
so thrilled to have a new voice in this project 8-) A few new volunteers have had their debut in a Black Cat issue already, so you are in good company.

I see you already passed the minute-test :thumbs: so you are good to go.

I signed you up for Section 5 officially and here is your personal reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/14818
all the projects you take part in will be listed here, so it will become quite a nice collection in time, I hope.
As for an email, I'm not sure we ever did that and do you really want this ? It will expose you to all kinds of bots and spammers who harvest email adresses for advertisement purposes. :? I think I would prefer to leave it out, but I'll ask around whether it's ever been done. Stay tuned.
In the meantime I would suggest deleting your adress also from your previous post, just to be on the safe side. You can edit a post by clicking on the pencil icon in the upper right corner of your post.
Hope I can help work on this project! I read over the text and its a very interesting piece. The Back Cat seems like quite the hidden gem! :clap:
oh yes that's exactly how I felt when I found the magazin :9: I'm glad you liked the texts.

So since this is your first recording, please read the first post very carefully before you start. Beneath the MW (magic window) there is an example of how to say the intro disclaimer, and the end disclaimer and how to correctly name the finished file.

If you have any questions still, don't hesitate to ask. And now good luck with your first recording, I'm looking forward to hearing you. :) The section is reserved officially for 2 months for you, so please check back regularly with updates, especially if it takes longer. Always good to stay in contact, otherwise we have no way of knowing what is up ;)

Have fun with your first story.

Sonia

DeBug

Post by DeBug » August 16th, 2020, 4:34 am

I would like to take Section 3 if it is still open.

Thank you!
I’m here for the blanket fort.
CC is very welcome. Please do make suggestions or recommend exercises to help me improve. Thank you!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » August 16th, 2020, 4:39 am

DeBug wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 4:34 am
I would like to take Section 3 if it is still open.
hi Doug, yes section 3 is still open, and now reserved for you. Happy to hear you narrate the story. I hope you like it :)

thank you

Sonia

DeBug

Post by DeBug » August 16th, 2020, 5:54 am

Kitty wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 4:39 am
hi Doug, yes section 3 is still open, and now reserved for you. Happy to hear you narrate the story. I hope you like it :)
Thank you! I get started on the recording.
I’m here for the blanket fort.
CC is very welcome. Please do make suggestions or recommend exercises to help me improve. Thank you!

smithjob

Post by smithjob » August 16th, 2020, 12:53 pm

Kitty wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 1:13 am
Hi Joshua, and a warm welcome to our forum :D
smithjob wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 2:46 pm
If noone has claimed it I would like to try Section 5. The shifting sand, by C. C. van Orsdall. This will be my first recording here so for the catalog we can use my full name: Joshua W. Smith. I don't have a website or blog(yet!) if it's possible to use an e-mail, that can be attached. My email is ******.
so thrilled to have a new voice in this project 8-) A few new volunteers have had their debut in a Black Cat issue already, so you are in good company.

I see you already passed the minute-test :thumbs: so you are good to go.

I signed you up for Section 5 officially and here is your personal reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/14818
all the projects you take part in will be listed here, so it will become quite a nice collection in time, I hope.
As for an email, I'm not sure we ever did that and do you really want this ? It will expose you to all kids of bots and spammers who harvest email adresses for advertisement purposes. :? I think I would prefer to leave it out, but I'll ask around whether it's ever been done. Stay tuned.
In the meantime I would suggest deleting your adress also from your previous post, just to be on the safe side. You can edit a post by clicking on the pencil icon in the upper right corner of your post.
oh yes that's exactly how I felt when I found the magazin :9: I'm glad you liked the texts.

So since this is your first recording, please read the first post very carefully before you start. Beneath the MW (magic window) there is an example of how to say the intro disclaimer, and the end disclaimer and how to correctly name the finished file.

If you have any questions still, don't hesitate to ask. And now good luck with your first recording, I'm looking forward to hearing you. :) The section is reserved officially for 2 months for you, so please check back regularly with updates, especially if it takes longer. Always good to stay in contact, otherwise we have no way of knowing what is up ;)

Have fun with your first story.

Sonia

Thank you for the warm welcome and setting up my reader page! I understand why the email would be an issue now that you point it out. In time I'm sure I'll come up with a better alternative, or even a different email address as to avoid the spammed inbox. It can defintiely be left out for now if that is the case, I just wasn't sure if that was a common alternative to personal sites. Luckily, it seems that the system censored the email address from the post, and I'll be sure to remove it.

I will thouroughly review the intro and post information as I work on my recording. I'll keep the thread posted on my progress and any additonal help I might need as I go through the process. I'm excited to get started on my recording, and practicing with this text. Again, I really appreciate all the positivity and help thus far, and I look forward to working with everyone here! :thumbs:

Josh

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » August 16th, 2020, 1:03 pm

Here is section 2. 20:46
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0108may1896_2_various_128kb.mp3

A very well written story. I found myself enjoying it very much. :D
Eager to get started recording? Follow these 7 steps to recording! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKLWam9cfVo&t=74s

Who walked off with our LibriVox limbo stick! Seriously, how low can you go.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » August 17th, 2020, 4:45 am

philchenevert wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 1:03 pm
Here is section 2. 20:46
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0108may1896_2_various_128kb.mp3
A very well written story. I found myself enjoying it very much. :D
thank you so much for this excellent narration, Phil. :) And I agree, the stories in this magazine so far all pleased me very much. A pity that most of these writers never got more fame than this, some of them wrote better than other "famous" writers I know. :|

Awwww, the story had a sad ending :( I would have loved Rafferty to survive. He was a hero.

Great job on the dialect, can you place it ? Is it southern ? To me it sounds like it, but I'm not good at locating dialects. :lol: In any case, you made it all very comprehensible what was being said. :thumbs:

I would only have one tiny PL note to mark down:

> at 0:32: "Leonard M. Prince" - you say "Price" - maybe we should give the author his correct name credit. I feel strongly for them, rather unknown during their lifetime, let's give them at least post-humous credit for the good job they did.

Thanks ! A wonderful first submission. And maybe I'll hear you in a future Black Cat again 8-) We still have lots to do...

Sonia