[COMPLETE] More Celtic Fairy Tales-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

fishmiles wrote: October 4th, 2020, 1:46 am Hi,
Sorry I took so much time to get this done!

Here's section 10 @ 5:32!
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/morecelticfairytales_10_jacobs_128kb.mp3
Thanks, nicely read.
However, it failed the volume spec. Very useful took to check your own tech specs before uploading is Checker. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker
It would have told you that your volume, at just under 86 db, isn't loud enough. Please would you amplify the file by about 2.9 dB, check if any noise reduction is then required, and re-submit?
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Bookworm360 wrote: October 4th, 2020, 4:35 pm My Preface is ready for PL!
PL done. Just one issue:
~ 3.33 Repeated phrase
regards
Jane Bennett
fishmiles

Post by fishmiles »

Jmbau13 wrote: October 7th, 2020, 10:06 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/morecelticfairytales_10_jacobs_128kb.mp3
Thanks, nicely read.
However, it failed the volume spec. Very useful took to check your own tech specs before uploading is Checker. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker
It would have told you that your volume, at just under 86 db, isn't loud enough. Please would you amplify the file by about 2.9 dB, check if any noise reduction is then required, and re-submit?
Sorry! I should have checked!

Here's the fixed one @5:32
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

fishmiles wrote: October 10th, 2020, 7:06 am
Jmbau13 wrote: October 7th, 2020, 10:06 pm

Thanks, nicely read.
Sorry! I should have checked!

Here's the fixed one @5:32
Fine now. Thank you so much for reading.
regards
Jane Bennett
WardenMajere

Post by WardenMajere »

Jmbau13 wrote: October 7th, 2020, 8:42 pm
Jmbau13 wrote: September 29th, 2020, 9:27 pm
WardenMajere wrote: September 26th, 2020, 2:04 pm Alright, here is section 16, and boy was it a long one! Judging by the name, this is not quite what I was expecting, but I enjoyed it nonetheless! Please do let me know if you have any advice for the audio, as this was the first thing I've recorded with my new mic!

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/morecelticfairytales_16_jacobs_128kb.mp3
Length: 54:21.5
Thank you. I've entered it into the MW and will PL as soon as I can.
You are right, it certainly was a long one.
You have a great voice for reading and I really very much enjoyed listening to this, even though it was long. ( I thought his leg might drop off before it every got fixed at the rate they were going! ) I thought the different character voices came across well, and the repeated parts also (presumably to make it easier to recite orally when that was the only way of remembering things).
I only have a couple of small changes I will ask you to make.
PL changes required are:
0.27s Remove duplicate chapter title
22.54 where they ARE (not were)
25.21 any way of destroying HIM (not them)
26.03 and pots WERE by its action...
28.27 ON the canal there is...
29.52 or IF you returned home...
31.16 to spring OVER it

One thing I did notice which I'm not sure if you are aware of, is that you changed a very large number of words while reading, by transposing, rearranging, substituting, changing or omitting. Now, in the main, the changes were quite small, such as reading 'she said' instead of what was written as 'said she', but I was surprised at the sheer number of them, once I first noticed. Lots and lots, basically.

Here's a very small sample of what I'm talking about (noticed, but won't ask you to fix):
23.28 ships at anchor NEAR IT (not there)
24.10 said the OLD woman
24.25 said she (not she said)
24.17 I said to the OLD woman...
28.39 They are covered all over (not About)
28.53 When THE night comes...
33.38 I requested to be put ON shore (not ashore)

As you can see, they make little change to the meaning and I ummed and ahed over this for a while. I decided to raise it, and suggest that you try to pay closer attention to reading what is actually written? Librivox aims for 99% accuracy, which in a 55 min file would come to around 33 seconds of such mistakes. Based on my listening, I think you would be quite a bit over that.
But, this said, a lovely reading. Thank you!
Awesome, thank you for the feedback! I'll go in and change these mistakes, hopefully sometime this weekend.
:mrgreen: Comparison is the thief of joy because it fosters competition more than community. - Theodore Roosevelt :mrgreen:
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

WardenMajere wrote: October 14th, 2020, 6:07 pm ...

Awesome, thank you for the feedback! I'll go in and change these mistakes, hopefully sometime this weekend.
No hurry, when you have time. Thanks for taking the feedback as you did.
regards
Jane Bennett
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

Jmbau13 wrote: August 20th, 2020, 3:19 am
Owlivia wrote: August 17th, 2020, 1:47 pm Chapter 4: a true "shaggy dog" -- make that a shaggy weasel -- story

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/morecelticfairytales_04_jacobs_128kb.mp3

run time: 14:27

Owlivia/Deborah
And I very much liked the expression you put into the tale, as well as the different voices. I actually think different voices when there are different characters speaking makes it easier to listen to. So congratulations and thank you for your reading.
The only thing I found awkward is the volume difference that leaped out at around~ 6.50 or so - a very noticeable difference. You can even see the difference in the two sections in the original waveform, if you look at your file. I am guessing you recorded it in two separate sessions?
To get a consistent volume, I reduced the second half by around 4 dBs. I was going to ask you to do this, but to save you any more mucking about, I have uploaded the altered file from my computer instead.
I hope this is OK with you - if you would prefer to do it yourself, please do, I promise I won't mind.
🌸🌸🌸
Hi, Jane, sincere apologies for my delayed reply! Somehow I missed your comment. Yikes.
Thank you for the compliments on the different character's voices; it was enormous fun to speak for the "crone" (type casting?? :wink: ). I'd love to do more of that sort of thing.

Also many thanks for fixing the volume; you got it on the nose - the recordings were done at separate times.

kindest regards,
Owlivia/Deborah
🦉
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Owlivia wrote: October 15th, 2020, 5:45 pm
🌸🌸🌸
Hi, Jane, sincere apologies for my delayed reply! Somehow I missed your comment. Yikes.
Thank you for the compliments on the different character's voices; it was enormous fun to speak for the "crone" (type casting?? :wink: ). I'd love to do more of that sort of thing.

Also many thanks for fixing the volume; you got it on the nose - the recordings were done at separate times.

kindest regards,
Owlivia/Deborah
🦉
Great, glad to hear it. Looking forward to hearing you read more.
regards
Jane Bennett
PinewoodMists

Post by PinewoodMists »

Hiya,

Sorry this took so long to get back to you, I've been trying to keep the ambient noise to a minimum!

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/morecelticfairytales_03_jacobs_128kb.mp3

PinewoodMists
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Hi Jmbau13, Will there be a post when it’s all completed and available for listeners on archive.org?
Thanks,
Adrian
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

afinevoice wrote: October 30th, 2020, 12:25 pm Hi Jmbau13, Will there be a post when it’s all completed and available for listeners on archive.org?
Yes there will. It will be a post from me, saying something to the effect of: "This project is now complete! All audio files can be found here: [And then the link to the LV catalogue page.]"
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

mightyfelix wrote: October 30th, 2020, 4:40 pm
afinevoice wrote: October 30th, 2020, 12:25 pm Hi Jmbau13, Will there be a post when it’s all completed and available for listeners on archive.org?
Yes there will. It will be a post from me, saying something to the effect of: "This project is now complete! All audio files can be found here: [And then the link to the LV catalogue page.]"
I think there should be a special Confetti smiley for that. :mrgreen:
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

There always is, but not from me (I'm only the DPL)
It will come from the BC - the Book Coordinator.
regards
Jane Bennett
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Jmbau13 wrote: November 4th, 2020, 7:57 pm
Close. It comes from the MC, the meta coordinator. :)
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

mightyfelix wrote: November 4th, 2020, 8:33 pm
Jmbau13 wrote: November 4th, 2020, 7:57 pm
Close. It comes from the MC, the meta coordinator. :)
Of course it does. Stooped mistake - blame it on lockdown brain. Thanks for correcting!
regards
Jane Bennett