[COMPLETE] Selected Poems from Michelangelo Buonarroti - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Eysiss

Post by Eysiss »

Now
Michael the three sections are Pl Ok.

BUT
I have to say this : section 59 at 0:26 at the end of the 5th line, there is this word "sieno".
It is an ancient form of "siano" that is 3rd person of present subjunctive. meaning it should be read with the accent on the "i".
If you read it with the accent on the "e" it could be mistaken for something related to the city of Siena.

If you want, you can leave it like that, since there is no way that in this context someone would misinterpret the meaning.

But I haven't been able not to tell you, sorry for being pernickety...old habits are hard to get rid of....

Emanuela
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Thank you, Emanuela! I always appreciate such comments.

It's an odd case. I would have read that word with the normal pronunciation, except that the rhyme pattern indicated this unusual stress placement. I just did a bit more research in light of your comment. On the one hand, Treccani's dictionary lists only the normal stress pattern. On the other hand, Enzo Noè Girardi, whose edition of Michelangelo's poetry is all over the web, expressly notes the unusual stress:

https://it.wikisource.org/wiki/Rime_(Michelangelo)/293._Carico_d%27anni_e_di_peccati_pieno

I'll keep it that way, with my apologies to the Sienese. It's not the first time Michelangelo's grammar has made me scratch my head. :)

Michael
Eysiss

Post by Eysiss »

You never stop to amaze me, Michael.
If it would be me, I'd probably read -si'eno-, since I really can't go over this feeling that the other way sounds strange. But, really, you are right. Girardi, certainly put the accent on the "e".
The man seemed to be really reliable about the Italian Language and Literature, and he published a lot of studies on Michelangelo.

So, I bow to you and learnt somehing new.

Emanuela
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

That's a good idea! I've changed two lines in 59 using a 3-syllable pronunciation of sieno, like you suggest. It's very helpful to know when something is confusing to native speakers, because it's often hard for me to tell.

Section 58 is now also ready for PL.

Thanks, Emanuela!

Michael
Eysiss

Post by Eysiss »

Both sections are perfect.
Thank you Michael.

Emanuela
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Thank you, Emanuela! Sections 60-63 are ready for PL.

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

I glued the last one together from two versions, for which I used somewhat different voices. Please let me know if the change is distracting.

Michael
Eysiss

Post by Eysiss »

Ok, I'll take a look at them today, worst case senario tomorrow.

Emanuela
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

No rush. :)

Michael
Eysiss

Post by Eysiss »

Michael,
sections 60, 61, 62 and 63 are PL Ok.
No worries about section 63.

Emanuela
Eysiss

Post by Eysiss »

Here my section 52, 53 and 54.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/selectedpoems_052_buonarroti_128kb.mp3 0:58
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/selectedpoems_053_buonarroti_128kb.mp3 0:59
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/selectedpoems_054_buonarroti_128kb.mp3 1:04

section 53 at the 9th line there is "altere"
I'm not 100% sure about the accent.
I thought the meaning would be more like an archaic form of "altre", but I read it just as I found it.

Emanuela
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Thank you, Emanuela! Sections 49-51 are PL and I'll PL the other three tomorrow. In the meantime, I'll let your euphonious pronunciation inspire my (last?) section. :)

Michael
Eysiss

Post by Eysiss »

Michael, Kevin
I tried to assign to myself sections 64 to 67, but couldn't write the name.
I think I'm not allowed

Emanuela