COMPLETE - [SPEECHES] State of the Union Addresses 1901-1908 – lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
linny
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14365
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Post by linny » September 18th, 2020, 4:44 am

jaytroop wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 10:39 am
Sorry for the wait on these!
You are well within your time limit. You have two months from the time you posted your claim. Due date on these is Oct 15th. If you find you need an extension, simply post in the project thread the let the BC know how much additional time you will need. Odds are the extension will be granted. The only real time most BCs may not want to grant extensions is if you've already been given an extension and haven't completed anything or it's the last section before cataloging.

jaytroop
Posts: 11
Joined: July 9th, 2020, 12:15 pm

Post by jaytroop » September 18th, 2020, 6:40 am

linny wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 4:44 am
jaytroop wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 10:39 am
Sorry for the wait on these!
You are well within your time limit. You have two months from the time you posted your claim. Due date on these is Oct 15th. If you find you need an extension, simply post in the project thread the let the BC know how much additional time you will need. Odds are the extension will be granted. The only real time most BCs may not want to grant extensions is if you've already been given an extension and haven't completed anything or it's the last section before cataloging.
Good to know! Thanks so much for the extra context

linny
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14365
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Post by linny » September 18th, 2020, 7:34 am

:thumbs:

KevinS
Posts: 8981
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » September 21st, 2020, 11:17 am

What? What's that? Why are you shouting?

KevinS
Posts: 8981
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » September 21st, 2020, 11:24 am

Ends with: The Government should construct and maintain these reservoirs as it does other public works. Where their purpose is to regulate the flow of streams, the water should be turned freely into the channels in the dry season to take the same course under the same laws as the natural flow.
What? What's that? Why are you shouting?

KevinS
Posts: 8981
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » September 21st, 2020, 5:57 pm

linny, Sec 2 is probably too short for me to have nearly equal section lengths over 4 sections. (The links to your recommended section breaks are broken.) Would you mind having a look and ponder this? I think my guesses are all wrong.

I've got 27 minutes of Section 3 finished and could shift some of it to Section 2 if you think it wise. Otherwise, I can make Section 3 and 4 a bit longer at about 40 minutes each.

(I just assume leave Section 1 as is.)
What? What's that? Why are you shouting?

linny
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14365
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Post by linny » September 22nd, 2020, 5:30 pm

Kevin,
I'll look at it. It won't be before Thursday. My mom has been in and out of the hospital since Saturday. She is currently back in. <sigh>

KevinS
Posts: 8981
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » September 22nd, 2020, 5:41 pm

linny wrote:
September 22nd, 2020, 5:30 pm
Kevin,
I'll look at it. It won't be before Thursday. My mom has been in and out of the hospital since Saturday. She is currently back in. <sigh>
Don't worry about it. Seriously. I'll just keep recording and we'll discuss it all when your mum is well. Bless you and her.
What? What's that? Why are you shouting?

jaytroop
Posts: 11
Joined: July 9th, 2020, 12:15 pm

Post by jaytroop » September 23rd, 2020, 2:14 pm

Section 11 with changes based on your notes. Thanks for the great feedback! 24:38

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/stateoftheunion_1901_1908_11_various_128kb.mp3

jaytroop
Posts: 11
Joined: July 9th, 2020, 12:15 pm

Post by jaytroop » September 23rd, 2020, 2:33 pm

Section 12 updated based on your feedback. 26:35 runtime:
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/stateoftheunion_1901_1908_12_various_128kb.mp3

KevinS
Posts: 8981
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » September 23rd, 2020, 4:09 pm

I think my sections will work out. I tried to divide things thematically, in rough terms, and I come up with maybe 44 minutes for Section 3 and 41 minutes for Section 4.

Both longer than the first two sections, but not out of the ordinary for a speaker like T.R.
What? What's that? Why are you shouting?

linny
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14365
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Post by linny » September 25th, 2020, 6:11 am

KevinS wrote:
September 23rd, 2020, 4:09 pm
I think my sections will work out. I tried to divide things thematically, in rough terms, and I come up with maybe 44 minutes for Section 3 and 41 minutes for Section 4.

Both longer than the first two sections, but not out of the ordinary for a speaker like T.R.
Thank you, Kevin. I'm sorry for letting you down by not getting back to you sooner. :oops:

linny
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14365
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Post by linny » September 25th, 2020, 10:16 am

jaytroop wrote:
September 23rd, 2020, 2:14 pm
Section 11 with changes based on your notes. Thanks for the great feedback! 24:38

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/stateoftheunion_1901_1908_11_various_128kb.mp3
-The bit rate needs to be 128 kbps and constant rather than variable.
-Please noise clean this section. I suggest using the silence from ~30 seconds for your noise profile.
-Please trim opening silence to less than 1 second.
-19:27 – please insert end quote after …from a financial standpoint”. You opened the quote earlier but forgot to close it. As a note, not all readers to include “quote” “end quote”. Some just read as though the quotes aren’t there. Some change the tone of the reading slightly. No hard rules on it. We leave it to reader interpretation unless the book coordinator (BC) states otherwise and that direction would be found on the initial project post.
-21:50 – slight stumble - Above all else, we must strive to keep the highways of commerce open to all on equal terms;
-22:50 – slight stumble - after it had found a challenged rate to be unreasonable, to declare what thereafter should,
-Please trim ending silence to ~5 seconds. It is preferred that silences be ambient rather than generated. The generated silence is ‘dead’ silence and is oddly hard on the ears.
You did most of the corrections however you missed one and 'over corrected' another.
-19:27 – please insert end quote after …from a financial standpoint”.

-Ending silence is ~3 seconds. At that length you run the risk of being cut off during playback. Please extend (copy/paste) to make it ~5 seconds.

-Volume is now too low at 83.9dB. Please amplify by 5dB.

linny
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14365
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Post by linny » September 25th, 2020, 10:24 am

jaytroop wrote:
September 23rd, 2020, 2:33 pm
Section 12 updated based on your feedback. 26:35 runtime:
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/stateoftheunion_1901_1908_12_various_128kb.mp3
Nicely done!

Volume is too low at 84.8dB. Please amplify by 4dB.

Ending silence is too short at ~2.5 seconds. Please increase to ~5 seconds.

linny
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14365
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Post by linny » September 25th, 2020, 11:24 am

2:40 - 2:55 – missing words - The National Government should demand the highest quality of service from its employees; and in return it should be a good employer. If possible legislation should be passed, in connection with the Interstate Commerce Law, which will render effective the efforts of different States to do away with the competition of convict contract labor in the open labor market. So far as practicable under the conditions of Government work,

13:28 word change - To remedy this state of things would not merely serve to build up our shipping interests, but it would also result in benefit to all who are interested in the permanent establishment of a wider market for American products,

18:22 word change - Upon the other hand, the railways assert that the law by its very terms tends to produce many of these illegal practices by depriving carriers of that right of concerted action which they claim is necessary to establish and maintain non-discriminating rates.

19:22 (optional) word change - The Department of Agriculture during the past fifteen years has steadily broadened its work on economic lines, and has accomplished results of real value in upbuilding domestic and foreign trade.

Post Reply