COMPLETE: Two Years in Oregon by Wallis Nash -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Jonatoner

Post by Jonatoner »

Thank you Wayne for your advice regarding plosives.
Jonatoner

Post by Jonatoner »

How do we deal with pages that are graphic tables? The page I'm refererring to has a table of Oregon counties and data relating to them. How to narrate these tables?
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Jonatoner wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 4:48 pm How do we deal with pages that are graphic tables? The page I'm refererring to has a table of Oregon counties and data relating to them. How to narrate these tables?
Jonathan,

Tables are always a lot of fun. :lol:

The way I would read them is the county name (Baker) then "Population 4,615 Taxable property of 1880 $931,139" then "Benton Population 6,403 Taxable property of 1880 $1,766,282" etc. Remember to say 'dollars' after each amount even though it isn't noted on the chart. It will take a while to go through all 24 counties but it is what it is. Also, you might want to read through the names of the Counties and be sure you know how to pronounce them before you start so you won't stumble and have to do it again, including maybe finding out how to pronounce them. Multnomah mult-NO-ma Umatilla YOO-ma-TILL-a for example.

Keep it up,

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Kalamareader wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 4:20 pm Larry and everyone else,

For the six or so sections left to be read, I found a website with a collection of Oregon (and Washington) names with pronunciations.

http://www.stevensauke.com/say/northwest.html

Wayne
Very helpful. Probably I've got some of them wrong, and there are some omissions like Owyhee, but it's a good list.
Thanks. I should have been more attentive to this in the beginning.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Jonatoner wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 2:04 pm I'd like to claim section 26. My username is jonatoner. This is my first one!
Hi, Jonathan.
First a hearty welcome to LibriVox!
I have added you to the LV catalog. Just click on your name in the Magic Window to see your catalog page. This is where you can track all of you LV projects, of which I hope there will be many. And I've assigned you Section 26. This is quite a large section to take on as your first recording. If you would like to record a few paragraphs first and upload it, I'd be glad to give you a proof listening report to have before you dive into the whole thing. But, I'll leave that up to you.

Wayne has already given you some good feedback on your test recording and how to download the file for reading. I've done all sorts of things for reading. In the beginning I would print things out and stand at a podium to record. I kid you not. I also exported to my Kindle which worked pretty well but was also a lot of work. I will sometimes read from my laptop screen, but I don't like to have it too close to the microphone, although having one with an SSD is quieter. I now prefer reading from my Android tablet and find it is very easy to negotiate and adjust font size and it is comfortable to hold. But, there are as many approaches to this as there are readers, so find what works best for you. But, yes, use the HTML version to download.

Tables, charts and graphs -- sometimes a challenge.

In this case it is a simple one, and Wayne's approach is exactly how I usually do ones like this. The important thing is to keep in mind what the listener will hear and that they have no visual cues -- just your voice. I think this one is simple enough that you could eliminate some of the repetition if you want, especially since it has a good introduction. So you could read the first entry as:

Baker County - population 4,615 Taxable property of 1880 $931,139

then continue

Benton 6,403 $1,766,282
Clackamas 9,260 $1,886,916

So, I'll leave that up to you. Slow and steady.
Check out the link that Wayne provided if you are unsure about any pronunciations.

Do ask any more questions as they come to mind.
~ Larry
Jen0631

Post by Jen0631 »

Thanks to Wayne for the link he posted to helpful pronunciations!

I had just been checking a few myself when I found this page - much less helpful, but amusing:
https://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/a-portlanders-pronunciation-guide/Content?oid=16496002

Jen
Find me at VoiceJen.com & konsort29.blogspot.com
Jen0631

Post by Jen0631 »

Just checking:

In chapter 23 part I we find this:

Their West-side line runs through the rich farming country in Polk County by Dallas to Sheridan, and a junction with the Western Oregon broad-gauge near by.

Now I've already learned about the town called
The Dalles pronounced the DALZ

But here our author has written "Dallas" instead of "The Dalles"

May I assume that he means The Dalles? Perhaps I leave off "The" as he did, but say DALZ?

I welcome your thoughts,
Jennifer
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Jen0631 wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 11:31 pm Just checking:

In chapter 23 part I we find this:

Their West-side line runs through the rich farming country in Polk County by Dallas to Sheridan, and a junction with the Western Oregon broad-gauge near by.

Now I've already learned about the town called
The Dalles pronounced the DALZ

But here our author has written "Dallas" instead of "The Dalles"

May I assume that he means The Dalles? Perhaps I leave off "The" as he did, but say DALZ?

I welcome your thoughts,
Jennifer
Different city, and pronounced just like the better-known one in Texas.
~ Larry
sassyespresso

Post by sassyespresso »

hello, i would like to claim chapter 23, part 2 please.

its my first recording, and i would like to work under the pseudonym Alice A.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

sassyespresso wrote: January 24th, 2021, 2:22 am hello, i would like to claim chapter 23, part 2 please.

its my first recording, and i would like to work under the pseudonym Alice A.
Thank you for your interest in this project.
We do, however, request that our new readers first complete a one-minute test recording to check out all of your technical specifications and any reading issues.

From the instructions for this, and all, projects under Point 2

New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!

Among the useful information there you will find instructions for completing your test recording. Once you have the "OK" on that post again here and you will be free to record this section. It is rather a long one for an initial recording. So, if you want to send in the first few paragraphs for an initial check, you can do so,, just to make sure you're on the right track.

All the best,
~ Larry
jenno

Post by jenno »

Here is section 23

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/twoyearsinoregon_23_nash_128kb.mp3

Duration 21.54

Thank you for assistance on pronunciations.

Part of the joy of listening to Librivox recordings is the variety of peoples who contribute.
I was introduced to it via listening to the Anthony Trollope novels read by a plethora of different people from at least 3 continents. It brought nuances and lilts to the text which only enhanced it for me.

Jennifer
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

jenno wrote: January 24th, 2021, 7:25 pm Here is section 23

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/twoyearsinoregon_23_nash_128kb.mp3

Duration 21.54

Thank you for assistance on pronunciations.

Part of the joy of listening to Librivox recordings is the variety of peoples who contribute.
I was introduced to it via listening to the Anthony Trollope novels read by a plethora of different people from at least 3 continents. It brought nuances and lilts to the text which only enhanced it for me.

Jennifer
Thank you. I will listen to this soon.

We do have a global community of great diversity.
It is the beautiful tapestry we lovingly call LibriVox!
Thank you for being a part of it. :9:
~ Larry
Jonatoner

Post by Jonatoner »

Is there a Librivox standard for dealing with passages that are direct quotes? Do we include the words quote and unquote? Specifically, my chapter contains a lengthy entry which is a direct quote of a ship captain's problems.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Jonatoner wrote: January 25th, 2021, 9:36 am Is there a Librivox standard for dealing with passages that are direct quotes? Do we include the words quote and unquote? Specifically, my chapter contains a lengthy entry which is a direct quote of a ship captain's problems.
There is not an overall standard for quotations. These are handled on a case-by-case basis, usually at the discretion of the reader unless otherwise instructed by the BC, as is the case with most things such as how to handle abbreviations, tables, footnotes, etc.

In general, my approach is not to use, "quote - unquote" unless it is necessary for clarification. Usually one can convey the meaning through tone, inflection and pacing. In this case, the author introduces the passage clearly, so I would read it just as it is.

Thanks for asking! It's always good to bring these things into the light.

All the best,
~ Larry
Jen0631

Post by Jen0631 »

Greetings,

Pleased to submit section 27 chapter 23 part 1:
23:18
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/twoyearsinoregon_27_nash_128kb.mp3

Jennifer