[Fiction/Humor] The Pothunters by P. G. Wodehouse -m8b1

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Post Reply
maitriarya18
Posts: 11
Joined: June 10th, 2020, 6:05 am

Post by maitriarya18 » September 13th, 2020, 4:27 am

Thanks M & Kevin. This was my first recording on Librivox - it was super fun :)
mleigh wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 8:39 am
Chapter 10 is now PL Okay.

Great job!

Thanks,

M

NoelVox
Posts: 32
Joined: July 13th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Post by NoelVox » September 13th, 2020, 4:18 pm

Thanks very much! I'm sorry I haven't sent a corrected file yet. I've had a PC meltdown and am now using a Chromebook. I can't figure out how to get the software working properly on this, but should have a PC laptop and be able to get back to normal this week. Hope I'm not holding things up.
mleigh wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 1:58 pm
NoelVox wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 7:08 pm
Hi KevinS -

Here is Chapter 12 - https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/pothunters__12_wodehouse_128kb.mp3
Length: 12:20

This was a fun one to read!
I really enjoyed listening to your recording. I wish I could do so well. Just have a couple of minor comments.

1. You need a little more time at the beginning, there should be between .5 and 1 second of silence.
2. At about 0:13, you need to add the text, "The Pothunters, by P.G. Wodehouse", before the chapter title.

Thanks,

M

I just noticed that you have an extra underscore "_" in your file name before the 12. Could you please fix. Thanks.

Ares
Posts: 48
Joined: May 17th, 2020, 12:57 am

Post by Ares » September 14th, 2020, 5:46 am

mleigh wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 8:51 am
KevinS wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 5:01 am
Ares wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 11:57 pm


Thanks. I did all the fixes, if you guys want me to do more fixes please tell me :)
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/pothunters_15_wodehouse_128kb.mp3
duration: 17:46
Thank you!
Nice recording but you missed adding one small item.
0:24 - please add the chapter title, "Mr. Roberts Explains" before the start of the
chapter text

Thanks,

M

I just did it :D if i should fix something else more, please tell me :D cheers.
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/pothunters_15_wodehouse_128kb.mp3
duration: 17:48

FuzzballTheGreat
Posts: 10
Joined: June 16th, 2020, 12:03 pm

Post by FuzzballTheGreat » September 14th, 2020, 3:51 pm

I looked at the PL notes on the section I did and I genuinely can't hear many of problems I'm supposed to fix. I'm not really inspired to fix them and finish my other section, partially due to school just starting. I want to give them up to whoever wants them. Sorry about this Kevin, it seemed like a really fun book.
signed, FuzzballTheGreat

My username is named after my cat, Fuzzball, and that makes me cool like Indiana Jones.

mleigh
Posts: 294
Joined: May 31st, 2020, 2:19 pm
Location: New Mexico

Post by mleigh » September 16th, 2020, 7:08 am

Chapter 5 needs two simple fixes to it.

Please drop the volume by 6dB, it is currently too loud.

25:20 - the word "looking" is missing in "looking towards the College buildings"

One suggestion also, make sure you are not too close to or touching the microphone as it can cause problems with some speakers/headphones. An example is at 6:35 , where the word "kid" was hard to understand in "I remember, when I was a kid", with my headphones but not my laptop speakers. There is no need to edit this but it is something to bear in mind in future recordings.

Just resubmit your recording with the two corrections and you'll be PL okay.

Thanks,

M

KevinS
Posts: 8981
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » September 16th, 2020, 8:37 am

FuzzballTheGreat wrote:
September 14th, 2020, 3:51 pm
I looked at the PL notes on the section I did and I genuinely can't hear many of problems I'm supposed to fix. I'm not really inspired to fix them and finish my other section, partially due to school just starting. I want to give them up to whoever wants them. Sorry about this Kevin, it seemed like a really fun book.
Fuzzball, there are just a couple of things that need to be fixed for your section. Our DPL was giving you her full advice as to how to improve the recording but we realize that our readers aren't professionals with the equipment and experience to avoid every little noise. In fact, the little noises made by breathing, captured by the microphone, can add human depth to a recording.

Please let me know if you'd like to return to the recording. I'll have a listen, too, and we can make the job easier for you. I did drop your claim for the second section, as you requested, but encourage you to continue with your recorded section. I'll keep you assigned to this section for another two weeks to give you time to decide.

Many thanks to you,
Kevin
What? What's that? Why are you shouting?

sachinV
Posts: 17
Joined: July 27th, 2020, 9:01 am

Post by sachinV » September 23rd, 2020, 7:41 am

mleigh wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 12:45 pm
Chapter 13 needs a few corrections made.

There is a hum in the background. Could you please remove it. It would also be nice if you could go through the whole thing and remove some of the loud breathing sounds such as occur at 9:01 and 10:09.

3:13 - remove the "al" in "said Al Sir Alfred fussily"
6:25 - remove the "com" in "com taken completely by surprise"
11:06 - remove "if you" from "If you If ever you are accused of smoking"
11:27 - remove "glen" from "If the Mutual Friend ever has glen grandchildren"
12:31 - please insert a pause before saying "end of Sir Alfred Scores"
12:37 - remove sound at the end of the 5 seconds of silence

Thanks,

M
Sorry for the late reply, here is corrected Chapter 13
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/pothunters_13_wodehouse_128kb.mp3
12:37

KevinS
Posts: 8981
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » September 23rd, 2020, 7:56 am

sachinV wrote:
September 23rd, 2020, 7:41 am
mleigh wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 12:45 pm
Chapter 13 needs a few corrections made.

There is a hum in the background. Could you please remove it. It would also be nice if you could go through the whole thing and remove some of the loud breathing sounds such as occur at 9:01 and 10:09.

3:13 - remove the "al" in "said Al Sir Alfred fussily"
6:25 - remove the "com" in "com taken completely by surprise"
11:06 - remove "if you" from "If you If ever you are accused of smoking"
11:27 - remove "glen" from "If the Mutual Friend ever has glen grandchildren"
12:31 - please insert a pause before saying "end of Sir Alfred Scores"
12:37 - remove sound at the end of the 5 seconds of silence

Thanks,

M
Sorry for the late reply, here is corrected Chapter 13
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/pothunters_13_wodehouse_128kb.mp3
12:37
Thank you!
What? What's that? Why are you shouting?

sachinV
Posts: 17
Joined: July 27th, 2020, 9:01 am

Post by sachinV » September 23rd, 2020, 8:00 am

mleigh wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 8:31 am
I have completed the PL for Chapter 11, The Sports. Please correct the issues identified below and upload again. Thanks.
Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't sure when the PL was done. Here is edited Chapter 11.
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/pothunters_11_wodehouse_128kb.mp3
14:20

KevinS
Posts: 8981
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » September 23rd, 2020, 9:19 am

sachinV wrote:
September 23rd, 2020, 8:00 am
mleigh wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 8:31 am
I have completed the PL for Chapter 11, The Sports. Please correct the issues identified below and upload again. Thanks.
Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't sure when the PL was done. Here is edited Chapter 11.
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/pothunters_11_wodehouse_128kb.mp3
14:20
Thank you!
What? What's that? Why are you shouting?

rieyrules
Posts: 113
Joined: March 19th, 2017, 5:58 pm

Post by rieyrules » September 27th, 2020, 6:13 pm

Thanks, M, for your feedback. I made the corrections (& corrected the part at 6:35, which, upon listening, I realized sounded pretty bad). Hopefully it sounds much improved... I think it does! Funny, I used Checker before sending the original, and could swear it was within the normal range, but you were right, when I checked it again, before making the corrections, it was way to high. Anyway, this time it registered at 88.2. And I'll try to do better with the microphone! At least I'm getting good at cutting & pasting...! :lol:
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/pothunters_05_wodehouse_128kb.mp3

KevinS
Posts: 8981
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » September 27th, 2020, 6:44 pm

rieyrules wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 6:13 pm
Thanks, M, for your feedback. I made the corrections (& corrected the part at 6:35, which, upon listening, I realized sounded pretty bad). Hopefully it sounds much improved... I think it does! Funny, I used Checker before sending the original, and could swear it was within the normal range, but you were right, when I checked it again, before making the corrections, it was way to high. Anyway, this time it registered at 88.2. And I'll try to do better with the microphone! At least I'm getting good at cutting & pasting...! :lol:
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/pothunters_05_wodehouse_128kb.mp3
Thank you!

LibriVox is a fun adventure! One learns a lot!
What? What's that? Why are you shouting?

Owlivia
Posts: 311
Joined: June 3rd, 2020, 10:29 am

Post by Owlivia » September 27th, 2020, 6:57 pm

This was such a great read and so much fun! Thanks, Kevin, for making this happen.

Now... Can we have some more? :mrgreen:

I mean, obviously, you have nothing else to do in life, right??

Seriously, thanks bunches.

Owlivia/Deborah

KevinS
Posts: 8981
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » September 27th, 2020, 7:05 pm

Owlivia wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 6:57 pm
This was such a great read and so much fun! Thanks, Kevin, for making this happen.

Now... Can we have some more? :mrgreen:

I mean, obviously, you have nothing else to do in life, right??

Seriously, thanks bunches.

Owlivia/Deborah
Haha! Sometime soon we'll find more Wodehouse!
What? What's that? Why are you shouting?

KevinS
Posts: 8981
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » September 30th, 2020, 6:06 pm

Chapter 14 orphaned.
What? What's that? Why are you shouting?

Post Reply