[COMPLETE][History]World's Story 12: The United States - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume12_27_tappan_128kb.mp3 time 15:50
This is the final one that looks good to me.
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote: August 13th, 2020, 3:42 pmhttps://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume12_27_tappan_128kb.mp3 time 15:50
thank you, April, this is PL ok again. You posted twice the same link, is this correct ? Just want to make sure I updated the MW correctly.

Sonia
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Here is section 82, Fort Moultrie:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume12_82_tappan_128kb.mp3

15:26

I've recorded my other section (#32) and just need to edit it, so it should be up within the next day or so.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
clionawoodbyrne

Post by clionawoodbyrne »

Kitty wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 5:09 am
clionawoodbyrne wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 2:28 amHere is my recording of section 56 The death of King Philip. I hope I have done it right.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume12_02_tappan_128kb.mp3
and last but not least, thank you, Cliona, for another wonderfully narrated section. And high dramatic, especially the ending :shock: I also loved the lively war-cry you performed :thumbs: makes it all very interesting for a listener. :mrgreen:

There are a few notes to correct in this sections though. Nothing dramatic, so no need to re-record it all, mainly a few cuts to make.

> from 1:11-1:13: between "to the English" and "no aboriginal" - over 2 seconds of silence feels very long for a listener, one gets easily "thrown out" of the storyflow. I would suggest that 1 to maximum 1.5 seconds is fully enough, even between paragraphs. Could you cut a bit here ? There are a few clicks at the end, so this would be a good part to cut ;)

> from 4:17-4:20: between "should be quenched" and "early on the evening": same here, please cut the silence to under 2 seconds here

> at 10:18: (p. 323) stumble and repeat "they could ill endure" - you can cut out "endure" once

> from 10:50-10:52: between "of the west" and "one bright September" - lengthy pause again

> from 12:04-12:06: between "in the face of the boy" and "he, too" - lengthy pause

> on another note, the background noise is very high, and your voice is quite low, which mars a bit the listening pleasure. I would suggest running a round of noise cleaning. Do you use Audacity ? It's very easy to noise-clean with this program. Please do the following:

1) select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
2) go to Effect - Noise Reduction
3) first select Get Noise Profile
4) then highlight the entire recording
5) again Effect - Noise Reduction
6) now select OK

> and finally, please be extra careful with the filenaming. You always find an example in the first post on how to correctly name the file. The ## should be changed into your section number, here 56. You named yours 02 for some reason, which resulted in overwriting the already recorded section 2 in the Magic Window. :? This should be avoided. I noticed now and changed the number back to the original section. But if it isn't noticed, this will result in wrong sections, so extra careful please !

Thank you, and if you have any questions regarding the editing, please don't hesitate to ask.

Sonia
Hi Sonia

Here is my edited version

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume12_56_tappan_128kb.mp3

It took me quite a quite a while to figure out how to edit tiny amounts from a recording but I finally cracked it. I apologise for naming the file incorrectly and for putting you to so much trouble. This was my misunderstanding as I thought the hashtags were just for me to note how many times I had recorded it!!! Just to confirm I do use Audacity and have now run the noise clean as you suggest.

I trust this recording will meet the high standard required. If not please let me know.

Many thanks
Cliona
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lots of new sections in here, thank you all !
another gruesome battlescene :? but indeed, the English were a bit too full of themselves to win this one.

Excellently PL ok, thank you Rita :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ColleenMc wrote: August 15th, 2020, 10:15 am Here is section 82, Fort Moultrie:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume12_82_tappan_128kb.mp3
I've recorded my other section (#32) and just need to edit it, so it should be up within the next day or so.
great to hear, Colleen :9: and thank you for this section already, which was also very eventful and wonderfully narrated. Straight PL ok as well :thumbs:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

clionawoodbyrne wrote: August 16th, 2020, 3:57 am Here is my edited version
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume12_56_tappan_128kb.mp3

It took me quite a quite a while to figure out how to edit tiny amounts from a recording but I finally cracked it.
yes very well edited and now PL ok as well. Congrats on your very first finished official LV section :clap: Thank you and hopefully many more to come.

Oh one thing I may have forgot to mention. Please always state the length of your section, so the Magic Window can get updated accordingly. (see previous posts how the other readers did it).

Here you only had to cut out things, which is not that difficult. To see "tiny amounts" better you can amplify the waves a lot (by clicking on the magnifying glass). I usually work with a time-line (line above the waves) of 1 second interval, that way I can edit small parts better. Sometimes I even magnify more to be more precise in the cuts.

And we always discourage re-recording everything again from scratch. Even if you have to correct a sentence, please only re-record that sentence, not the whole text again. It's not only too much work for the reader but also for the prooflistener, who had to relisten to it all again, instead of only spot-listening. And chances are high you may have done another mistake in the second reading ;) and then we would never finish a section. :mrgreen:
I apologise for naming the file incorrectly and for putting you to so much trouble. This was my misunderstanding as I thought the hashtags were just for me to note how many times I had recorded it!!!
ah ok, that makes sense. No indeed, the hashtags are the placeholder for the section number.
Just to confirm I do use Audacity and have now run the noise clean as you suggest.
good, so if you need any step-by-steps on how to correct a mistake that does not only involve cutting, feel free to ask :)

Sonia
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Colleen McMahon

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

phew...a harsh life under Puritain rule. :? Thank you for this perfectly narrated section, Colleen. Definitely PL ok right away. :thumbs:

Sonia
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Thanks!
Colleen McMahon

alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wow if that was from Smith's autobiography, he was a bit of a braggart :lol: interesting short section, thank you Alan. And PL ok right away :)

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Kitty wrote: August 14th, 2020, 7:26 am
adr6090 wrote: August 13th, 2020, 3:42 pmhttps://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume12_27_tappan_128kb.mp3 time 15:50
thank you, April, this is PL ok again. You posted twice the same link, is this correct ? Just want to make sure I updated the MW correctly.

Sonia
sorry it took me awhile to notice your comment. Yes, they are the same one. Just looked off to me so I reposted and was of course, noticing they are the same. I should have mentioned it to you, I am sorry for not. :oops:
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

April