[COMPLETE][History]World's Story 12: The United States - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

clionawoodbyrne wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 2:28 amHere is my recording of section 56 The death of King Philip. I hope I have done it right.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume12_02_tappan_128kb.mp3
and last but not least, thank you, Cliona, for another wonderfully narrated section. And high dramatic, especially the ending :shock: I also loved the lively war-cry you performed :thumbs: makes it all very interesting for a listener. :mrgreen:

There are a few notes to correct in this sections though. Nothing dramatic, so no need to re-record it all, mainly a few cuts to make.

> from 1:11-1:13: between "to the English" and "no aboriginal" - over 2 seconds of silence feels very long for a listener, one gets easily "thrown out" of the storyflow. I would suggest that 1 to maximum 1.5 seconds is fully enough, even between paragraphs. Could you cut a bit here ? There are a few clicks at the end, so this would be a good part to cut ;)

> from 4:17-4:20: between "should be quenched" and "early on the evening": same here, please cut the silence to under 2 seconds here

> at 10:18: (p. 323) stumble and repeat "they could ill endure" - you can cut out "endure" once

> from 10:50-10:52: between "of the west" and "one bright September" - lengthy pause again

> from 12:04-12:06: between "in the face of the boy" and "he, too" - lengthy pause

> on another note, the background noise is very high, and your voice is quite low, which mars a bit the listening pleasure. I would suggest running a round of noise cleaning. Do you use Audacity ? It's very easy to noise-clean with this program. Please do the following:

1) select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
2) go to Effect - Noise Reduction
3) first select Get Noise Profile
4) then highlight the entire recording
5) again Effect - Noise Reduction
6) now select OK

> and finally, please be extra careful with the filenaming. You always find an example in the first post on how to correctly name the file. The ## should be changed into your section number, here 56. You named yours 02 for some reason, which resulted in overwriting the already recorded section 2 in the Magic Window. :? This should be avoided. I noticed now and changed the number back to the original section. But if it isn't noticed, this will result in wrong sections, so extra careful please !

Thank you, and if you have any questions regarding the editing, please don't hesitate to ask.

Sonia
bellanelson875

Post by bellanelson875 »

neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Here is Section 63--it is a wonder he made it out alive!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume12_63_tappan_128kb.mp3

13:12

Jim :shock:
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Kitty wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 3:46 am
All three sections pass muster :thumbs: In section 6 I thought I heard "edit for librivox.org" instead of "read for" but that may be my ears playing tricks on me, so I'll mark them all PL ok. The text itself was flawless. Thank you so much.

Sonia
:lol: :lol: :lol: That would be true as well, after all, the file is edited for LV. But no, that is a badly pronounced "read". :)
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
Sonrisaj

Post by Sonrisaj »

Hi Sonia,

I've done the first pass on section 22, the King's Maids - and am wondering if I can submit on Friday? I'm taking a narration course on Wednesday and Thursday (via Zoom) this week and I'm curious to see what the difference in the recording would be, before, and after, the class.

Hope that's OK, and have a nice evening!
Linda
What is laughter? It is the glorious sound of a soul waking up. -- Hafez
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

bellanelson875 wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 9:51 am Here is the corrected version of Section 25!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume12_25_tappan_128kb.mp3
excellent, thank you so much and congratulations on your first official PL ok librivox sections. Many more to come hopefully. :clap:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 10:48 amHere is Section 63--it is a wonder he made it out alive!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume12_63_tappan_128kb.mp3
indeed :? they must have been hardy men...I felt a bit squeamish when I heard about how he spent this night tied up in every direction. :shock:

Thanks, Jim, another perfectly PL ok section. :thumbs:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Sonrisaj wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 6:24 pmI've done the first pass on section 22, the King's Maids - and am wondering if I can submit on Friday? I'm taking a narration course on Wednesday and Thursday (via Zoom) this week and I'm curious to see what the difference in the recording would be, before, and after, the class.
of course you still have plenty of time to submit this section, Linda. You know that there is a standard 2-month-deadline for every claim. You still have a lot of time before you reach that day.

Good luck with your course. :) But I hope you don't feel compelled to record this lengthy section twice ? :shock: Maybe you can practice your new knowledge in another section then. So far your recording quality sounded absolutely fine to me (and you know what they say: don't fix it if it isn't broken ;) )

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thanks, Sonia. I hope the family is well! :)
Sonrisaj

Post by Sonrisaj »

Ha ! Thank you! I will edit and submit and look forward to more...

Best,
Linda
What is laughter? It is the glorious sound of a soul waking up. -- Hafez
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you, Rita, another wonderful reading. The story gives me a bit of a shudder, to think this guy shows up at regular intervals. A sort of urban legend I suppose.

Only one small bit to change in the title, to stay conform with the other sections:

> at 0:08: for the title, please just read how it is written in the MW. I wrote it all up for each section, to make it easier for the reader. You can cut out "painting" at the beginning of the title, but put it at the end, "painting p. 300"

the rest is flawless, thank you

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: August 5th, 2020, 7:57 am Here is Section 65--exciting!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume12_65_tappan_128kb.mp3
phew...the scenes of massacre were quite gruesome. I was holding my breath when they checked the room where he was hiding :shock:

A great narration again, Jim, thanks. Totally PL ok again :)

Sonia