[COMPLETE]The Wrong of Slavery by Robert Dale Owen-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

silverquill wrote: April 5th, 2021, 10:17 pm
mleigh wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 4:14 pm
silverquill wrote: March 28th, 2021, 11:41 am Here is Section 21:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thewrongofslavery_21_owen_128kb.mp3 19:01

I did my best on the table, and inserted it into the text at what seemed like the most logical place.

I usually read from a tablet, so actually all I had to do was turn off auto-rotate to read the table.
You did a great job with the table, although following along with it made gave me motion sickness. :?

Just a few easy fixes to make it PL OK.

~ 0:27 - the title "Amalgamation" is missing, needs to be added
~ 4:06-4:08 - the text here "which from ... again" should be deleted, it is corrected immediately following
~ 4:14-4:15 - the text here " say two and ... again" should be deleted, it is corrected immediately following

On the whole, well done.

Thanks,

M
Thank you for the good PL!
Here is the corrected recording:
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thewrongofslavery_21_owen_128kb.mp3 18:58
It in now PL OK :D

Thanks,

M
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Hi I submitted sections 11 and 12 and was told they were PL OK. I just checked and they are still showing as assigned on my list. Would you be able to update the MW please many thanks
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
progressingamerica

Post by progressingamerica »

laurencetrask wrote: July 15th, 2020, 1:35 pm Here is section 8 (Chap. 7) It is 29:29 in length.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thewrongofslavery_08_owen_128kb.mp3

Laurence
Hello,

Some corrections were noted for this section, they are as follows:

Section 8
Need between .5 and 1 second at the beginning.
At 7:12, "we may put it in 1860" is repeated.
At 13:26, you have "sir", should be "senhor"
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

During the March to the Finish I focused on other projects that were closer to being Complete. I see that this one is there now, so I recorded my section and am finishing fixing mistakes in it.

My recording will be around 2 hours after editing, so I will let you know where I'd like to split it into 2 sections, unless you have a spot in mind already.

Powerful writing! This has been a challenge and pleasure to work on.
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yikes! That is quite a long chapter.

Progressingamerica, please do let us know if there is a specific place you want Grace to split this chapter, or if you want her to make the decision. Also be aware that it is part of a BC's duty when starting a project to ensure that each section will end up to be no more than 70 minutes or so, and to split chapters when necessary to avoid sections going over this limit.

I will go ahead and add an extra section for the second part of this chapter, and I will also need to edit the file names for every section after it, since this will throw off the numbering. This is a bit time consuming and has to be done rather painstakingly to avoid mixing up chapters, which is why all splitting up of chapters should be done by the BC at the outset of a project.
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

I would like to begin the second section at "Let us pass to another matter..." This segue is a minute past the one-hour mark, with around 45 minutes remaining for the second section. How does that work for you?

Do you have any preference for the wording of the intros and outros to indicate that they are Parts 1 and 2 of the chapter?

Thanks,
Grace
My LibriVox publications

progressingamerica

mightyfelix wrote: April 18th, 2021, 1:39 pm Yikes! That is quite a long chapter.

Progressingamerica, please do let us know if there is a specific place you want Grace to split this chapter, or if you want her to make the decision. Also be aware that it is part of a BC's duty when starting a project to ensure that each section will end up to be no more than 70 minutes or so, and to split chapters when necessary to avoid sections going over this limit.
Thank you for the reminder. I normally do solos but I will keep this in mind as I would like to be a little more active beyond my narrow view as well as an overall better community contributor.
progressingamerica

GraceBuchanan wrote: April 19th, 2021, 10:30 am I would like to begin the second section at "Let us pass to another matter..." This segue is a minute past the one-hour mark, with around 45 minutes remaining for the second section. How does that work for you?

Do you have any preference for the wording of the intros and outros to indicate that they are Parts 1 and 2 of the chapter?

Thanks,
Grace
I think your selection to begin works well. As for wording of the intro, could it be ".....part 2, chapter 3, section 1....." and ".....part 2, chapter 3, section 2....."?

Thank you for completing this very large final piece.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Section 8 is now PL OK.

M
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

progressingamerica wrote: April 19th, 2021, 11:49 pm
Thank you for completing this very large final piece.
I am sorry for the delay in this final section. I have just a few minutes of work to do to finish it, but I've been sick in bed for a week, each day expecting to feel well enough to get up and complete this work. How patient are you?
My LibriVox publications

progressingamerica

It's no problem, take your time and hope you feel better soon!
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

progressingamerica wrote: April 28th, 2021, 6:34 am It's no problem, take your time and hope you feel better soon!
Thank you
My LibriVox publications

GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

Thank you for your patience! Please give me any feedback that comes to mind.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thewrongofslavery_15_owen_128kb.mp3 1:01:44
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thewrongofslavery_16_owen_128kb.mp3 39:16

So much fantastic insight into the logic behind the civil war, and reassurance regarding our current threat of civil war. I hope we continue to have such logical minds speaking loudly.
My LibriVox publications

mleigh

Post by mleigh »

GraceBuchanan wrote: May 14th, 2021, 4:06 pm Thank you for your patience! Please give me any feedback that comes to mind.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thewrongofslavery_15_owen_128kb.mp3 1:01:44
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/thewrongofslavery_16_owen_128kb.mp3 39:16

So much fantastic insight into the logic behind the civil war, and reassurance regarding our current threat of civil war. I hope we continue to have such logical minds speaking loudly.
It was fascinating to listen to. It is hard to believe that people think that the institution of slavery is a "moral truth", as slavery is unfortunately still exists in the world today.

Here are my comments for both sections 15 and 16. They are easy fixes.

1. There is a high level of background noise throughout. This can be easily addressed by using noise reduction in Audacity or equivalent in other programs. (I actually did use it before listening to the recordings.)
2. At ~0:12 seconds, remove the "by Robert Dale Owen." The author is not listed in the first reading of the title.

Additionally, for section 15.

At approximately 3:50, 10:00, and 43:28, you pronounce "Vattel" as "Yattel". The remainder of the occurrences of "Vattel" are correct.

I enjoyed your reading, especially the feeling that I sensed it some of the egregious statements from the southern states.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

M
progressingamerica

This book is much of the same text as the Final Report of the American Freedmen Inquiry Commission.

https://books.google.com/books?id=cfFUAAAAcAAJ&pg=RA34-PA25

A little more background:
https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/18/surveying-emancipation