[COMPLETE] An American Vendetta by T. C. Crawford - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
vickivm

Post by vickivm »

TriciaG wrote: June 25th, 2020, 8:05 am Thank you! PL OK!

As for constructive criticism, the only two things I'll mention (and they're both minor) are these:

1) maybe a little more pause between the intro and the text, and at the end, the text and the outro. I didn't notice you rushing through changes of scene in the text itself, so that was fine, and this is a very minor quibble.

2) maybe take a little more time to inhale. Some of your breaths are a bit loud and gaspy. Not a big deal, either - but you asked for things to improve, so I pulled out this one. ;)
That is exactly the type of advice I was looking for and I am glad to work on those issues.
Thank you very much. Vicki
vickivm

Post by vickivm »

May I have Section 5? I really enjoyed doing the other section that I read.
Thank you,
Vicki
(vickivm)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

5 is yours - thanks! :D
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

If nobody has claimed them, I'll take sections 7 and 8, please.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Lector1 wrote: June 25th, 2020, 11:56 am If nobody has claimed them, I'll take sections 7 and 8, please.
They're yours!
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

TriciaG wrote: June 25th, 2020, 11:59 am
Lector1 wrote: June 25th, 2020, 11:56 am If nobody has claimed them, I'll take sections 7 and 8, please.
They're yours!
I'm a little confused about this. The MW says, for section 7, I read pages 57-65 to "implicated in the house-burning attack" and that I read nine pages. Section 8 says I read 10 pages from "Ance" Hatfield at Home to End. I get what I need to read for section 8, but I don't understand section 7. Section 7 starts with "ing seen on the fifteen-mile march." "Implicated in the house-burning attack" is on the next page. The MW says it's nine pages, but that's only two pages. I'm also confused about the point at which I start reading. Do I just start reading at "ing seen on the fiftenn-mile march" and read the two pages, then start on section 8's reading? If not, what should I do?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The page numbers in the magic window are for the PDF, not for the book. THey're numbered differently because the PDF numbers the title page, table of contents, etc.

Start at page number 50 in the book - the start of the chapter - to page 58 in the book (65 in the PDF).

Section 8 is from page 58 in the book to to 67 in the book.
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

I have a weird question. Not that there's anything in this book, but since this is my first recording project, how do you keep yourself from laughing if you read something that's funny?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

:mrgreen:
Well, some laughter in your voice isn't a big issue. But if you let out a giant guffaw, you go with it... then calm down and re-read the sentence, cutting out the one with the laugh in it. ;)
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

I am having a lot of trouble with the saving feature of Audacity. I started on section 7, but when I tried to save it, I only get a message that says that the file could not be found, even though it's there. I lost almost all of my work entirely and I'll have to go back tomorrow and record the entire thing again. Some of my work did get saved successfully and I can just copy and paste into the file, but how do I get Audacity to save and not lose everything?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It sounds like a memory or hard drive space issue. Audacity is a space hog. Make sure you have enough hard drive space and memory to work with.

Other than that, I recommend exporting to FLAC occasionally rather than saving in Audacity. FLAC files are smaller but still lossless (don't degrade when you open them and edit, whereas MP3s do lose quality when you import and export them repeatedly, like photocopying a photocopy).

If you want to explore all this further, you can ask over in the "Need Help? Got advice?" forum. :)
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

I just finished up recording section 7. I don't know if I need to edit out breathing sounds. Please tell me if I do, and I will make the corrections. Here is the audio for section 7:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/americanvendetta_06_crawford_128kb.mp3
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I suggest working from the end of the recording to the front when making edits. That way the time stamps on the remaining edits to be done don't move all over the place!

0:00 - There's no silence at all at the start. Could you please add about 1/2 second? That way people's MP3 players have less chance of cutting of the first few words. :)

0:00 - you say "section 6" - it's section 7.

Please also rename it with 07 in the file name rather than 06, when you save it again. :)

2:16-2:50 - quieter than the surrounding audio. Please amplify by about 6 dB.

5:16-5:19 - longish pause with some mouth noises in the middle of it. I suggest cutting out about 1 second, along with the noises.

5:54 - loud, long breath that it might be good to cut out or make quieter

6:44 - mouth noises - please remove

7:46 - you say "end of section 6" - it's section 7.

About 3 seconds of silence at the end; please extend to 5.

FYI for future recordings: "row" when referring to a fight or conflict is pronounced like "cow". ;)

You asked about breathing sounds. No, you don't have to edit them out, although you might want to quiet them down a bit when they're really loud. :)

(When you upload, please post the duration of the file also.)
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

TriciaG wrote: June 26th, 2020, 1:04 pm I suggest working from the end of the recording to the front when making edits. That way the time stamps on the remaining edits to be done don't move all over the place!

0:00 - There's no silence at all at the start. Could you please add about 1/2 second? That way people's MP3 players have less chance of cutting of the first few words. :)

0:00 - you say "section 6" - it's section 7.

Please also rename it with 07 in the file name rather than 06, when you save it again. :)

2:16-2:50 - quieter than the surrounding audio. Please amplify by about 6 dB.

5:16-5:19 - longish pause with some mouth noises in the middle of it. I suggest cutting out about 1 second, along with the noises.

5:54 - loud, long breath that it might be good to cut out or make quieter

6:44 - mouth noises - please remove

7:46 - you say "end of section 6" - it's section 7.

About 3 seconds of silence at the end; please extend to 5.

FYI for future recordings: "row" when referring to a fight or conflict is pronounced like "cow". ;)

You asked about breathing sounds. No, you don't have to edit them out, although you might want to quiet them down a bit when they're really loud. :)

(When you upload, please post the duration of the file also.)
Here is my new recording, with corrections
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/americanvendetta_07_crawford_128kb.mp3
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

I am so sorry, I forgot to include the duration. I was in a bit of a hurry to go do something.
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/americanvendetta_07_crawford_128kb.mp3 (7:50)