[LANGUAGE] Stories That Words Tell Us by Elizabeth O'Neill-Leni

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Post Reply
Kazbek
Posts: 974
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » June 2nd, 2020, 3:08 pm

Ezekiel wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 8:51 am
May I read Chapter 17?
Ezekiel
Certainly. Thanks!

Michael

BettyB
Posts: 2215
Joined: July 7th, 2015, 10:12 pm

Post by BettyB » June 3rd, 2020, 8:02 pm


Kazbek
Posts: 974
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » June 3rd, 2020, 8:34 pm

BettyB wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 8:02 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/storiesthatwordstellus_13_oneill_128kb.mp3
Updated for spot check.
Betty
Thanks, Betty. MW updated. I won't ask for updated length, because this case is clear enough.

Michael

Kazbek
Posts: 974
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » June 3rd, 2020, 9:30 pm

BettyB wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 8:02 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/storiesthatwordstellus_13_oneill_128kb.mp3
Updated for spot check.
Betty
Actually, I just asked around regarding my last point above, and I hear that we should get a duration from the reader for every upload. Could you confirm the new length for us? :)

Michael

Kudrna
Posts: 212
Joined: April 26th, 2019, 11:02 am
Location: Czechia

Post by Kudrna » June 4th, 2020, 3:10 am

Kazbek wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 9:30 pm
BettyB wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 8:02 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/storiesthatwordstellus_13_oneill_128kb.mp3
Updated for spot check.
Betty
Actually, I just asked around regarding my last point above, and I hear that we should get a duration from the reader for every upload. Could you confirm the new length for us? :)

Michael
And when Betty does so, it can be marked as PL OK :thumbs:

Kudrna
Kudrna

Kudrna
Posts: 212
Joined: April 26th, 2019, 11:02 am
Location: Czechia

Post by Kudrna » June 4th, 2020, 3:22 am

Michael,
would you mind PLing my section if I recorded one? I'd like to record section 3 (the more I listen the more interesting it sounds and I'd be very happy to record a part, too :D). If you don't want to PL, I can post in the Listeners Wanted afterwards, but I thought it would be better to ask you first :)

Thanks!
Kudrna
Kudrna

Kazbek
Posts: 974
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » June 4th, 2020, 4:15 am

Kudrna wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 3:22 am
Michael,
would you mind PLing my section if I recorded one? I'd like to record section 3 (the more I listen the more interesting it sounds and I'd be very happy to record a part, too :D). If you don't want to PL, I can post in the Listeners Wanted afterwards, but I thought it would be better to ask you first :)

Thanks!
Kudrna
I'd be happy to. Thanks for claiming. :)

Michael

BettyB
Posts: 2215
Joined: July 7th, 2015, 10:12 pm

Post by BettyB » June 4th, 2020, 2:38 pm

The new time is one second less so it is now 13.57.

Betty

Kazbek
Posts: 974
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » June 4th, 2020, 3:30 pm

BettyB wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 2:38 pm
The new time is one second less so it is now 13.57.

Betty
Thanks. I've updated the status to PL OK per Kudrna's assessment. :)

Michael

Kudrna
Posts: 212
Joined: April 26th, 2019, 11:02 am
Location: Czechia

Post by Kudrna » June 10th, 2020, 8:39 am

Kazbek wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 4:15 am
I'd be happy to. Thanks for claiming. :)

Michael
So, here's section 3: https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/storiesthatwordstellus_03_oneill_128kb.mp3 (17:37)
It was my longest English recording so far; I hope it's bearable :D Sometimes I wasn't sure about the pronunciation of some unusual words so don't hesitate to correct me if it sounds weird. Also, any CC welcome. Thanks!
Kudrna

Kazbek
Posts: 974
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » June 10th, 2020, 3:09 pm

Kudrna wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 8:39 am
So, here's section 3: https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/storiesthatwordstellus_03_oneill_128kb.mp3 (17:37)
It was my longest English recording so far; I hope it's bearable :D Sometimes I wasn't sure about the pronunciation of some unusual words so don't hesitate to correct me if it sounds weird. Also, any CC welcome. Thanks!
Ok, thank you, Kudrna! :)

Michael

KevinS
Posts: 7476
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » June 11th, 2020, 5:08 pm

Kudrna wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 9:48 pm
Nice recording, Kevin :) There's just one spot that needs to be changed:
12:18 – the text says "in their own languages often become slang" but I hear "in their own language have become slang". It's a small change but I'd say that the meaning is a bit different.

Thanks!
Kudrna
Fixed (I hope!)

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/storiesthatwordstellus_15_oneill_128kb.mp3 (19:21)
New modem installation delayed until instructions are clear.

Kazbek
Posts: 974
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » June 11th, 2020, 5:12 pm

KevinS wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 5:08 pm
Fixed (I hope!)

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/storiesthatwordstellus_15_oneill_128kb.mp3 (19:21)
Thanks!

Michael

Kazbek
Posts: 974
Joined: April 24th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Post by Kazbek » June 11th, 2020, 7:34 pm

Kudrna wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 8:39 am

So, here's section 3: https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/storiesthatwordstellus_03_oneill_128kb.mp3 (17:37)
It was my longest English recording so far; I hope it's bearable :D Sometimes I wasn't sure about the pronunciation of some unusual words so don't hesitate to correct me if it sounds weird. Also, any CC welcome. Thanks!
You have a clear and pleasant reading style in English! I hope you will record more (but without neglecting Czech, which we need much more of! :))

It's totally normal to be unsure about pronunciation of English words, even for native speakers, especially in a history text. I always have a dictionary and Wikipedia open in tabs to check pronunciations when recording one of those. Since you've asked for it, I've noted some words whose pronunciation you may want to look up, because they'll probably be hard to understand.

(1:00) Ægean
(1:07) missing word "they called Ereb"
(4:17) 1702 (missing OH)
(4:35) 1804 (missing OH)
(4:46) Mediterranean
(8:13) wounded
(10:15) "spreading into four counties, and as big as a county itself" (hearing countRy both times)
(16:29) hearing "any" instead of "many"
(16:43) "counties" (no r)

Also, "conquer". No need to replace it. The way you say it is intelligible. But it's a common word in history texts (not to the credit of mankind), so FYI.

I recall being very amused seeing that Oxford is written in Chinese using the character for cow and the character for river crossing, which was the first time I realized what the name meant. :)

Michael

Kudrna
Posts: 212
Joined: April 26th, 2019, 11:02 am
Location: Czechia

Post by Kudrna » June 12th, 2020, 12:24 am

Kazbek wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 7:34 pm
You have a clear and pleasant reading style in English! I hope you will record more (but without neglecting Czech, which we need much more of! :))

It's totally normal to be unsure about pronunciation of English words, even for native speakers, especially in a history text. I always have a dictionary and Wikipedia open in tabs to check pronunciations when recording one of those. Since you've asked for it, I've noted some words whose pronunciation you may want to look up, because they'll probably be hard to understand.

(1:00) Ægean
(1:07) missing word "they called Ereb"
(4:17) 1702 (missing OH)
(4:35) 1804 (missing OH)
(4:46) Mediterranean
(8:13) wounded
(10:15) "spreading into four counties, and as big as a county itself" (hearing countRy both times)
(16:29) hearing "any" instead of "many"
(16:43) "counties" (no r)

Also, "conquer". No need to replace it. The way you say it is intelligible. But it's a common word in history texts (not to the credit of mankind), so FYI.

I recall being very amused seeing that Oxford is written in Chinese using the character for cow and the character for river crossing, which was the first time I realized what the name meant. :)

Michael
Thanks very much for your PL, I'll fix the things mentioned (or, I'll do my best :D).
Yes, these "aha moments" are what I especially enjoy about this kind of literature, although I definitely don't have so many of them as the native speakers do when it comes to English.
Kudrna

Post Reply