COMPLETE: [LANGUAGE] Stories That Words Tell Us by Elizabeth O'Neill-Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kudrna

Post by Kudrna »

KevinS wrote: June 11th, 2020, 5:08 pm Fixed (I hope!)

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/storiesthatwordstellus_15_oneill_128kb.mp3 (19:21)
Thank you, Kevin, the speech is now flawless :thumbs: Unfortunately, the Checker shows that the bit rate is 320 kbps instead of 128 kbps; could you please fix that?
Kudrna
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Kudrna wrote: June 12th, 2020, 12:48 am
KevinS wrote: June 11th, 2020, 5:08 pm Fixed (I hope!)

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/storiesthatwordstellus_15_oneill_128kb.mp3 (19:21)
Thank you, Kevin, the speech is now flawless :thumbs: Unfortunately, the Checker shows that the bit rate is 320 kbps instead of 128 kbps; could you please fix that?
Will do. I just downloaded the latest Audacity version and my settings must have changed.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

KevinS wrote: June 12th, 2020, 5:33 am Section 15

Sorry for the trouble.
No trouble, Kevin. Always happy to help out a newbie, or a newbie Audacity install. :D

Michael
Kudrna

Post by Kudrna »

KevinS wrote: June 12th, 2020, 5:33 am Section 15

Sorry for the trouble.
Thanks, Kevin! No need to apologize, that's why I'm here :D PL OK now :thumbs:
Kudrna
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Hi,

I'm not sure (or maybe I am) why section 12 is still available, but I will take it if you like.

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Kalamareader wrote: June 12th, 2020, 11:01 am Hi,

I'm not sure (or maybe I am) why section 12 is still available, but I will take it if you like.

Wayne
Thanks a lot, Wayne! Yes, I imagine many readers are uncomfortable reading that word out loud. Luckily, in this book it appears only in quotes and italics, and the context makes it seem that it's not a word the author would use herself. I would say "quote-unquote" and try to convey the italics by intonation.

Michael
EthanV

Post by EthanV »

I'd like to read section 4. Since this is my first time reading, I'd like my name to appear as Ethan Voth.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

EthanV wrote: June 12th, 2020, 3:47 pm I'd like to read section 4. Since this is my first time reading, I'd like my name to appear as Ethan Voth.
Hi Ethan,

Thanks for volunteering! I see that you've already done a 1-minute test. :thumbs: I've assigned you section 4. Here's your reader page:

https://librivox.org/reader/14482

Michael
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Well, Micahel, too late.

I have already recorded it even before I received the 'claim'. One thing I disagree with you is your comment: "... in this book it appears only in quotes and italics, and the context makes it seem that it's not a word the author would use herself. " One thing to remember is that this book was written in 1918 and was written in England. She uses 'quotes and italics" (sic) for almost all the words she is explaining. Should I use the method you suggested for all of these words? I have been told that here on LV we should read the books as they were written, even though some of the ideas or words may not today be 'socially acceptable'. That is one thing the kind of bothers me as an amateur historian (Degree in History), the looking at History through the lenses of the American 21st century. History is what it was, not what we, today, would have liked to to have been, and the contemporary records should be read as they were written. The banning of Huck Finn in some places, for example. (I will now get off of my soap box)

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/storiesthatwordstellus_12_oneill_128kb.mp3

Time: 16:18

Wayne

P.S. Whilst ( :lol: ) researching the use of the word in England around that time I found two interesting quotations: " Joseph Conrad published a novella in Britain with the title The Nigger of the 'Narcissus' (1897), but was advised to release it in the United States as The Children of the Sea" and "The unfortunately titled The Nigger of the "Narcissus" (titled The Children of the Sea in the first American edition) is Conrad's best work of his early period. In fact, were it not for the book's title, it undoubtedly would be read more often than it is currently. At one time, it was one of Conrad's most frequently read books. In part because of its brevity, in part because of its adventure qualities, and in part because of its literary qualities, the novel used to attract a good deal of attention."
Wayne
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Thanks, Wayne! Since you're an experienced reader, I was assuming you're aware that we leave the handling of quotes and italics to the discretion of the reader. When I wrote "I would", I meant just that. :)

Michael
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

:D
Understood. It is just in my life experience when someone with some level of 'responsibility' says "I would.....", that means "You should...." :roll:
Wayne
Kudrna

Post by Kudrna »

Thanks, Wayne! I've got some PL notes:
  • The silence at the begining should be something between 0.5 and 1 second, yours is a bit shorter
  • 3:10 - the text says "And the word barbarous" while I hear barbarious
  • I'm not sure with this one - 5:01 - the text says "they have been subject to stronger nations" but I can't hear the word subject properly. This might be because I'm not native speaker so I'm not used to this pronunciation which could be ok, so I encourage you to listen to it yourself and see whether it's mispronounced or not
Kudrna
EthanV

Post by EthanV »

Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

EthanV wrote: June 13th, 2020, 12:45 am Here's my recording for Chapter IV:
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/storiesthatwordstellus_04_oneill_128kb.mp3 (24:58)
Thank you, Ethan!

Michael