[COMPLETE] The Life of a Fossil Hunter by Charles Sternberg - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I'm sorry you had problems with this. It's good that you figured out what was wrong though. Todd is right, you need to get your mic plugged in before you open audacity, that usually helps. Now that you know what's wrong, you should double check before you begin recording that it's the correct microphone you're actually talking into.

Or you can simply read all in one go. :wink:

Since we don't have a DPL, I'll try to listen to this myself as soon as possible.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Great, thank you Todd! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

Ava,
Would you like assistance with proof listening? If so, I can help out. Please let me know if there's anything specific that I should be aware of regarding the text--other than the figure notes, which you mentioned.

Thanks,
Lora
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Oh yes please! I'd really appreciate help with this!

I am not aware of any special issues with this project, since it's a memoir and not a scientific text. I think the figure captions are the only thing to look for (and possibly references in parentheses, but that's not a big deal).

Since the reader for section 5 is new, it would be great if you could lend him your ears first. :wink:

Thanks for helping out! :clap:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I've uploaded the preface/introductory chapter. :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

ToddHW wrote: May 15th, 2020, 3:44 am Audacity is a persnickety beast. You need to have microphone plugged in before you open Audacity: it will not recognize the microphone if you plug it in after you open Audacity.
Thanks, Todd
Hi Todd. Isn't there a pull-down menu in Audacity which lets you change mic source after you have loaded the app?
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
tjesker

Post by tjesker »

On my Mac it's not in the drop down list unless I close and reopen Audacity first
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

Hi Ava,
The Preface and Introduction are PL Okay. Please see my notes for Tom; I'd appreciate your help with giving him instructions for fixing the volume.

Thanks,
Lora
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

Hello Tom,
Welcome to Librivox and thank you for your recording of Section 5. You did a fantastic job with pronunciation--and it was a long reading. :) When I ran the file through the MP3 Gain and Checker programs, the dB level was 84.9, lower than the usual range of 86-92 dB. Please don't be discouraged by this; when I was recording, I needed to learn how to amplify, and it wasn't too bad. I hope that Ava can assist with instructions for you.

As for a consistent volume throughout with the microphone issue, I think you're okay as it is. It will get easier and smoother as you go along. I didn't have any jarring moments while listening. Here are my notes for correction; fixing them will clarify meaning. I'll check back in a bit; let me know if you have any other questions for me.
Notes: *at 4:10, "seats" should read "sets"
*at 4:24 please add the words "he shouted"
*at 9:12 "thirteenth" should be "thirtieth"
*at 13:39 please add "we" to the phrase "...which (we) were hauling to the station."
*at 18:52 "Steinberg" should read "Sternberg"
*at 21:43 "upon" is "under"
*at 25:42 "Dr." should be "Mr."
*at 28:27 "as" should be "or"
* at 28:32 please check pronunciation; I believe "pastoral" should be "plastral"

Once again, many thanks--great job!
Lora
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

alanmapstone wrote: May 15th, 2020, 6:12 pm
ToddHW wrote: May 15th, 2020, 3:44 am Audacity is a persnickety beast. You need to have microphone plugged in before you open Audacity: it will not recognize the microphone if you plug it in after you open Audacity.
Thanks, Todd
Hi Todd. Isn't there a pull-down menu in Audacity which lets you change mic source after you have loaded the app?
Yes, there is a pull down menu that lets you change mic source after you have loaded Audacity. Except it doesn't actually work. (Probably depending on which version of Audacity and which operating system.) Which is very frustrating.

So rule to remember is - plug mike in first, load audacity second.

Thanks, Todd
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

ToddHW wrote: May 16th, 2020, 12:31 pm
alanmapstone wrote: May 15th, 2020, 6:12 pm
Thanks, Todd
Yes, there is a pull down menu that lets you change mic source after you have loaded Audacity. Except it doesn't actually work. (Probably depending on which version of Audacity and which operating system.) Which is very frustrating.
It works when I use it, I checked it today to make sure 😸
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
tjesker

Post by tjesker »

ADKreader1122 thanks much for proof listening my first recording! Was very surprised at the number of times I used the incorrect word. Thanks much for catching all of those. Corrections have been made. Here is my v2 for Section 5 Chapter 4:

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/lifefossilhunter_05_sternberg_128kb_v2.mp3
Still 32 min 22 seconds.
I ran it through both Checker and MP3 Gain Express on my Mac Book and both said 88.6 DB so I think I should be good this time.
Please let me know if anything else needed.

Have already started on the next section. Already seems to be going a lot more smoothly and definitely faster.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

First complaint about your correction right off the bat: :twisted:

Please DO NOT change the filename! It has to remain the same no matter how many versions you upload. The old file will be replaced automatically, so that whatever is in the MW will be correct - and end up in the catalog.

I will change that for you this time, but please stick to the filenaming convention given in the first post no matter what!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Here is section 10:

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/lifefossilhunter_10_sternberg_128kb.mp3
38:48

Just to let you know, I had a volume discrepancy which I've been working on to correct. It takes place at about 27:00 and no matter what I've tried, it just doesn't fix it. It sounds the same as the previous parts, but looks different. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I've highlighted the section I want to boost and then bumped the volume on the meter. But when I save, exit and look at it again, it looks exactly the same.

Can you give me some input on this as I've already put in quite some time on this and just getting frustrated.
Thanks