[Complete] The Time Machine by H.G. Wells - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (1866 - 1946).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-time-machine-version-6-by-h-g-wells/

The Time Traveller entertains the guests at a dinner party with the tale of his journey forward in time to A.D. 802,701 using his new invention, a time machine. The future of humanity is so disturbing that he decides to return to the present, only to discover that his time machine has been stolen by the mysterious and fearsome creatures of the night. (Summary by cadastra)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/35
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Project Code: 30Hgx4rw
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (H. G. Wells): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._G._Wells
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Machine
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 12
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    • Original publication date (if known): 1895
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction; Fantastic Fiction; Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: novella, time travel

============================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Time Machine. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Time Machine, by H. G. Wells. [Chapter]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Time Machine, by H. G. Wells. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    timemachine_##_wells_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. timemachine_01_wells_128kb.mp3)
  9. Example ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
    Artist: H. G. Wells
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Time Machine

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by cadastra on August 11th, 2020, 11:08 am, edited 7 times in total.
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

I am adopting The Time Machine, abandoned July 2019, as a group project. The original project thread can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74536. I am aware that the sections that have been recorded need minor edits, and will make them myself.

I will DPL.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I will set this up for you.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

All set...
I am posting Larry's original PL notes here for easy reference:
1). The opening silence should be only one second or less, and all but one of yours is too long.
2). The closing silence should be about five seconds and all of yours are quite a bit less.
3). Only your first chapter falls within the accepted volume range; but the others are significantly too low in volume.
Our target volume is 89 dB with a range of 86-91 dB.

Here are the stats for each chapter so you can see what needs to be done.
Opening silence, ending silence, and volume.

Chap 1 2 sec , 3.5 , 87.7 dB (ok)
Chap 2 2 sec , 3.5 , 86.0 dB (ok, but right at the lower limit)
Chap 3 1.5 sec, 2.5, 86.0 dB (ok, but right at the lower limit)
Chap 4 1.0 sec, 2.5, 82.1 dB (far too low)
Chap 5 2.5 sec, 2.0, 78.8 db (far, far too low)
Chap 6 3.0 sec, 2.5, 77.5 dB (far, far too low)

Fixing the silences is easy -- just trim the beginning, and add to the end.
If you are using Audacity, fixing the volume is also easy. Just use the Amplify feature in the Effects menu and set it for the value that would bring each file up to 89 dB.

To check your volume, I suggest using a little program written especially for Librivox called Checker. You can find the description and download link here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker It is easy just to drag the file into the window of Checker, and get a readout of the actual volume. It also checks the other specs. Then you can use Audacity to make any adjustments before uploading.

Chapters 3 and 4 especially could use some noise cleaning. You will find the Noise Reduction tool also in the Feature menu.

I'll try to get to the actually proofing of these so they'll be set once you get the above taken care of.
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Thank you, Lynne!
julianpratley

Post by julianpratley »

I’d like chapter 7 please
“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
― Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

julianpratley wrote: April 15th, 2020, 3:43 pm I’d like chapter 7 please
Sure thing.
HilaryWiley

Post by HilaryWiley »

May I do section 8?
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

HilaryWiley wrote: April 16th, 2020, 6:45 pm May I do section 8?
Yes, you certainly may.
RutherfordOsborn

Post by RutherfordOsborn »

Hi...I'd like to read Section 9 if still available. Confirming the title of this Section (Chapter) is The Morlocks.

Rutherford
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

RutherfordOsborn wrote: April 16th, 2020, 10:15 pm Hi...I'd like to read Section 9 if still available. Confirming the title of this Section (Chapter) is The Morlocks.

Rutherford
Correct. I have assigned Section 9 to you in the MW.
michellemo5

Post by michellemo5 »

I’d like chapters 10-12, pls.

Name: Michelle Morales
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

michellemo5 wrote: April 17th, 2020, 12:00 pm I’d like chapters 10-12, pls.

Name: Michelle Morales
Hi, Michelle:
Welcome to LibriVox! Looks like you've got your hands full with 13 sections claimed in 4 days. Please note that sections should be submitted within 1-2 months of placing your claim. I will assign you Sections 10-12, but please don't overwhelm yourself with too many claims.
michellemo5

Post by michellemo5 »

Thank you. I appreciate the advice. I just couldn’t resist “The Time Machine” when I saw it. And right now, I have to keep busy or go insane.
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

michellemo5 wrote: April 17th, 2020, 4:32 pm Thank you. I appreciate the advice. I just couldn’t resist “The Time Machine” when I saw it. And right now, I have to keep busy or go insane.
I understand the feeling! Have fun.