COMPLETE: Works of Right Hon Edmund Burke, Vol 1 -choc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jpseeger

Post by jpseeger »

May I claim sections 5 and 15?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

jpseeger wrote: June 1st, 2021, 7:20 am May I claim sections 5 and 15?
Yes! Thank you!
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

wib66 wrote: May 30th, 2021, 11:59 am Here are the corrected sections for 30 and 31 thanks

https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/edmundburkevol01_30_burke_128kb.mp3
new time 43:25

https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/edmundburkevol01_31_burke_128kb.mp3
new time 35:54
Both are now PL OK!
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Kevin, sometime before cataloging please let me know what you'd like to use as a summary. Thanks!
Laurie Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

chocoholic wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 7:49 am Kevin, sometime before cataloging please let me know what you'd like to use as a summary. Thanks!
I guess I'll have to cook something up!
jpseeger

Post by jpseeger »

KevinS

Post by KevinS »

jpseeger wrote: June 4th, 2021, 10:12 am https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/edmundburkevol01_05_burke_128kb.mp3
Here is Section 5. Duration 41:41
Thank you!
jpseeger

Post by jpseeger »

KevinS wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 8:31 am
chocoholic wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 7:49 am Kevin, sometime before cataloging please let me know what you'd like to use as a summary. Thanks!
Here's something I found in my edition of Boswell's Life of Johnson:
"Burke, Edmund (1729-1797); statesman, orator and aesthetician; intellectual leader of the Rockinghamite Whigs, and powerful denouncer of British policy towards the American colonies; one of the managers in the impeachment of Warren Hastings; member of the [The Literary] Club, and regarded by Samuel Johnson as a formidable conversational adversary." In a footnote, Boswell adds, "No saying of Dr. Johnson's has been more misunderstood than his applying to Mr. Burke when he first saw him at his fine place at Beaconsfield, Non equidem invideo; miror magis. These two celebrated men had been friends for many years before Mr. Burke entered on his parliamentary career. They were both writers, both members of The Literary Club; when, therefore, Dr. Johnson saw Mr. Burke in a situation so much more splendid than that to which he himself had attained, he did not mean to express that he thought it a disproportionate prosperity; but while he, as a philosopher, asserted an exemption from envy, non equidem invideo, he went on in the words of the poet [Virgil] miror magis; thereby signifying, either that he was occupied in admiring what he was glad to see; or, perhaps, that considering the general lot of men of superiour abilities, he wondered that Fortune, who is represented as blind, should, in this instance, have been so just."
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

jpseeger wrote: June 6th, 2021, 3:50 pm
Here's something I found in my edition of Boswell's Life of Johnson:
"Burke, Edmund (1729-1797); statesman, orator and aesthetician; intellectual leader of the Rockinghamite Whigs, and powerful denouncer of British policy towards the American colonies; one of the managers in the impeachment of Warren Hastings; member of the [The Literary] Club, and regarded by Samuel Johnson as a formidable conversational adversary." In a footnote, Boswell adds, "No saying of Dr. Johnson's has been more misunderstood than his applying to Mr. Burke when he first saw him at his fine place at Beaconsfield, Non equidem invideo; miror magis. These two celebrated men had been friends for many years before Mr. Burke entered on his parliamentary career. They were both writers, both members of The Literary Club; when, therefore, Dr. Johnson saw Mr. Burke in a situation so much more splendid than that to which he himself had attained, he did not mean to express that he thought it a disproportionate prosperity; but while he, as a philosopher, asserted an exemption from envy, non equidem invideo, he went on in the words of the poet [Virgil] miror magis; thereby signifying, either that he was occupied in admiring what he was glad to see; or, perhaps, that considering the general lot of men of superiour abilities, he wondered that Fortune, who is represented as blind, should, in this instance, have been so just."
Thank you! I'll adapt this for our use.
jpseeger

Post by jpseeger »

You could also just use the first paragraph under "To the Reader" on p. vi starting with "The late Mr. Burke, from a principle of unaffected humility, which they who were the most intimately acquainted with his character best know to have been in his estimation one of the most important moral duties, never himself made any collection of the various publications with which, during a period of forty years, he adorned and enriched the literature of this country..."
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

jpseeger wrote: June 6th, 2021, 6:51 pm
You could also just use the first paragraph under "To the Reader" on p. vi starting with "The late Mr. Burke, from a principle of unaffected humility, which they who were the most intimately acquainted with his character best know to have been in his estimation one of the most important moral duties, never himself made any collection of the various publications with which, during a period of forty years, he adorned and enriched the literature of this country..."
Thank you!
jpseeger

Post by jpseeger »

KevinS

Post by KevinS »

jpseeger wrote: June 12th, 2021, 3:37 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/edmundburkevol01_15_burke_128kb.mp3
Here is Section 15. Duration 31:58
Thank you!
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

jpseeger wrote: June 4th, 2021, 10:12 am https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/edmundburkevol01_05_burke_128kb.mp3
Here is Section 5. Duration 41:41
Section 5 is PL OK!
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

jpseeger wrote: June 12th, 2021, 3:37 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/chocoholic/edmundburkevol01_15_burke_128kb.mp3
Here is Section 15. Duration 31:58
Section 15 is PL OK!