[COMPLETE] World's Best Poetry, Vol. 7 (Part II) - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

The World's Best Poetry, Volume 7: Descriptive and Narrative (Part 2) by Various ( - ).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/worlds-best-poetry-7-2-by-various/
The seventh of ten volumes of poetry edited by Canadian poet laureate Bliss Carman (1861-1929). This collection, the second of two parts, contains a series of odes and addresses to the natural and artistic realms, as well as various geographic places in the world, from Egypt and India, all the way to England and America. It concludes with popular narrative poetry originating from the Greek, Roman, Norse, German, East Asian, Spanish, French, English, Scottish and American literary traditions. ( Tomas Peter)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/worldsbestpoetry07carm
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: special --- please ensure that all intros/outros are consistent with the templates below, and that all files have end silences that do not exceed 5 seconds.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "[Poem] by [author], from The World's Best Poetry, Volume 7: Descriptive and Narrative, Part II. Read for LibriVox.org by [your name]" or some variation on that, adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish. Then repeat the poem's title.

If the poem has been translated from another language, say:
    • "[Poem title] by [original author], translated from the [original language] by [translator]; from The World's Best Poetry, Volume 7: Descriptive and Narrative, Part II. Read for LibriVox.org by [your name]" or some variation on that, adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish. Then repeat the poem's title.

END of recording
    • At the end of a poem, say: "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain." and leave five seconds of silence.
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition): "End of The World's Best Poetry, Volume 7: Descriptive and Narrative, Part II."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording

Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    worldsbestpoetry7_2_###_various_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ### is the section number (e.g. worldsbestpoetry7_2_001_various_128kb.mp3 )

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Kitty
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah it's launched, excellent :) MW is ready to be filled in. I already added Anthony as our regular DPL, let's hope he still has time. I remember he said he wanted to participate till the end.

I guess you will PM the link to the whole group, so I'll move us straight to Readers Found now.

I'll post the wishlist and final assignments once you have the MW up. The for the DRs, please let me all know whether you wish to choose yourself or you wish me to assign those as well

Let the fun begin !

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Well here are already your assignments for this project. Adrian, Kate, Jason and Adam all gave me a wishlist of a handful of poems, so I was able to consider all these. You all got your first choices and for the rest, I assigned them as I thought best, so we all have about the same workload. ;) I hope you are all happy with the choices.

Each of us has 11 solo poems, only Adrian has got 12 this time. This may get equalized again with the DRs.

Here are the choices:

Adam: 1, 7, 8, 17, 22, 25, 35, 47, 60, 65, 66
Adam and Eve by John Milton (1608–1674)
Delight in Disorder by Robert Herrick (1591–1674)
The Toilet by Alexander Pope (1688–1744)
An Etruscan Ring by John William Mackail (1859–1945)
Smoke by Henry David Thoreau (1817–1862)
The Sunset City by Henry Sylvester Cornwell (1831–1886)
The White Peacock by Fiona MacLeod (William Sharp) (1855–1905)
Naples by Samuel Rogers (1763–1855)
The Forging of the Anchor by Samuel Ferguson (1810–1886)
Mannahatta by Walt Whitman (1819–1892)
The Brooklyn Bridge by Edna Dean Proctor (1829–1923)

Adrian: 4, 11, 21, 29, 34, 37, 38, 42, 49, 50, 57, 98
To Ianthe, Sleeping by Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792–1822)
On Hearing a little Music-Box by Leigh Hunt (1784–1859)
The Coasters by Thomas Fleming Day (1861–1927)
The Orient by Lord Byron (1788–1824)
The Old Bridge at Florence by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807–1882)
The Coliseum by Lord Byron (1788–1824)
The Pantheon by Lord Byron (1788–1824)
A View across the Roman Campagna by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806–1861)
England by Oliver Goldsmith (1730–1774)
That England by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806–1861)
Sonnet Composed upon Westminster Bridge, London, 1802 by William Wordsworth (1770–1850)
England by William Shakespeare (1564–1616)

Jason: 2, 9, 13, 20, 24, 27, 28, 39, 41, 46, 61
Seven Ages of Man by William Shakespeare (1564–1616)
Ode on a Grecian Urn by John Keats (1795–1821)
The Bells by Edgar Allan Poe (1809–1849)
Mist by Henry David Thoreau (1817–1862)
A Still Day in Autumn by Sarah Helen Power Whitman (1803–1878)
Ozymandias of Egypt by Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792–1822)
Christmas in India by Rudyard Kipling (1865–1936)
A Day in the Pamfili Doria by Harriet Beecher Stowe (1811–1896)
Saint Peter’s at Rome by Lord Byron (1788–1824)
Venice by Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792–1822)
Newport-Beach by Henry Theodore Tuckerman (1813–1871)

Kate: 5, 12, 16, 26, 30, 32, 44, 52, 54, 70, 71
Freedom in Dress by Ben Jonson (1572–1637)
“Those evening bells” by Thomas Moore (1779–1852)
The Cuckoo Clock by Caroline Bowles Southey (1786–1854)
The Nile by Leigh Hunt (1784–1859)
The Vale of Cashmere by Thomas Moore (1779–1852)
The Rhine by Lord Byron (1788–1824)
Venice by Samuel Rogers (1763–1855)
“O, the pleasant days of old!” by Frances Browne (1816–1879)
An Old Time Christmas by Sir Walter Scott (1771–1832)
In Mexico by Evaleen Stein (1863–1923)
The Fall of Troy by Virgil (70–19 B.C.)

Sonia: 10, 14, 19, 23, 31, 33, 36, 48, 58, 59, 67
Laus Veneris by Louise Chandler Moulton (1835–1908)
The Bells of Shandon by Francis Sylvester Mahony (Father Prout) (1804–1866)
The Hurricane by William Cullen Bryant (1794–1878)
The Evening Cloud by John Wilson (Christopher North) (1785–1854)
Carillon by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807–1882)
The Cataract of Lodore by Robert Southey (1774–1843)
To Rome by Francisco de Quevedo y Villegas (1580–1645)
Drifting by Thomas Buchanan Read (1822–1872)
London by John Davidson (1857–1909)
The Village Schoolmistress by William Shenstone (1714–1763)
Scythe Song by Andrew Lang (1844–1912)

Tomas: 6, 15, 18, 40, 43, 45, 53, 55, 62, 64, 69
Cousin Lucrece by Edmund Clarence Stedman (1833–1908)
City Bells by Richard Harris Barham (Thomas Ingoldsby) (1788–1845)
Leonardo’s “Monna Lisa” by Edward Dowden (1843–1913)
February in Rome by Edmund Gosse (1849–1928)
Venice by John Addington Symonds (1840–1893)
The Gondola by Arthur Hugh Clough (1819–1861)
Melrose Abbey by Sir Walter Scott (1771–1832)
The Castle Ruins by William Barnes (1801–1886)
The Settler by Alfred Billings Street (1811–1881)
Weehawken and the New York Bay by Fitz-Greene Halleck (1790–1867)
Château Papineau by Susan Frances Harrison (“Seranus”) (1859–1935)

Have fun

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Alright guys, I've filled in the MW and assigned everyone's solos, so everyone can begin handing them in if they so wish. I will start linking the DRs, but I can't promise I will finish tonight; as you see, we have a lot of them, and so I ask for everyone's patience while that is being updated. :mrgreen:
Tomas Peter
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

Join the "Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection" - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78482&hilit=fake+news
KateG

Post by KateG »

Hi everyone!

I'm really excited to be Part of this so thanks (again) for inviting me :9: The good thing about the Corona situation is that I'll be forced to work from home which saves me a two hour commute - so you know what I'll use these two hours for :mrgreen:

I hope you're all doing well!

Kate
Reader's Page 13871

cc welcome!

"You're evil, you know that?", I said. She grinned and shook her head: "Chaotic neutral, sugar"
(Ernest Cline - Ready Player One)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yay thank you Adam, our very first submission for this project :) I hope Anthony will be around to PL this, if not we need a Plan B. I will probably step in in that case, but stay patient for the time being.

You can all upload your finished files though, Anthony is known to marathon-PL at times. :mrgreen:

Sonia
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you Adrian, MW updated :)

I also recorded a few poems already, need to edit still.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

KateG wrote: March 15th, 2020, 10:45 pmThe good thing about the Corona situation is that I'll be forced to work from home which saves me a two hour commute - so you know what I'll use these two hours for :mrgreen:
I am also home this entire week. Luxembourg finally caved as well and urged people to stay indoors unless they really need to work. I took one week holidays this week. Gonna put it to good LV use as well :mrgreen:

So far, I'm not ill at all (I rarely am ill, so I'm not worried for myself). I hope you are all staying safe as well.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Phew! Glad to announce that the DRs are now linked in the MW (I hope all the links work).

Sonia has the exact figures with regards to how many roles everyone will have, but if you'd like to request some, you may do so and Sonia will try to accommodate you. You may also leave it up to Sonia to distribute all your roles---it's up to you. If you do make requests, however, please do not limit yourselves to the smallest parts. Ideally, everyone will narrate at least a few poems, and some of them will be the longer ones. We need to keep a fair balance so no one is unduly burdened with the biggest parts. Roles are also gender neutral, but we'll try to let the ladies have as many female characters as possible :P

Thanks for your patience, everyone (and I'm glad to see some solos already being handed in!)

P.S. If no one here has experience with Chaucerian Middle English, do not worry: Sonia will be able to narrate that DR if there are no other takers. But if you have some knowledge of its pronunciation, please help us by claiming one of the roles there.

Also, please do not be daunted by the DRs with Scottish dialect. Their meaning is not difficult to ascertain, nor do you need to have the accent. Try your best at them, because your effort is what counts most!
Tomas Peter
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

WiltedScribe wrote: March 16th, 2020, 6:32 pm
P.S. If no one here has experience with Chaucerian Middle English, do not worry: Sonia will be able to narrate that DR if there are no other takers. But if you have some knowledge of its pronunciation, please help us by claiming one of the roles there.
That sounds like a challenge. You can put me down for Narrator in 93.

I'm in a vulnerable category, which means the UK government wants me to stay home for 12 weeks.
I think this is going to be a productive Librivox period :0).

Best Regards,
Adrian
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adrianstephens wrote: March 16th, 2020, 11:51 pmThat sounds like a challenge. You can put me down for Narrator in 93.
seriously ? And here I was fully prepared to do this lengthy part :lol: Well I can play the host then, we'll make a good team in that case.
I'm in a vulnerable category, which means the UK government wants me to stay home for 12 weeks.
I hope you are fine though :?

Here we are recommended to stay home unless we need to go out for work or shops. This week I am staying home because our schools are shut down for two weeks anyway. But I need to use up my holidays for this, I do not get to stay at home just for free, this irks me a bit. I don't want to use up all my remaining holidays because of this situation :|
I think this is going to be a productive Librivox period :0).
well at least one good thing that will come of it. :mrgreen:

So as to the DR roles: by my last count we have 159 parts so 3 of us need to claim 27 parts and the other 3 only 26. As Tomas said, please also claim some larger parts.

I will not update anything yet for today, but please: till tomorrow, let me all know either a wishlist or roles or whether you want me to assign them. I think Jason already mentioned that he wants his roles assigned. For the others I don't know yet. In about 24 hours I will start assigning if I don't hear back from you ;) That way we are fully organized by tomorrow and everybody knows who has to record what.

Also, as there are so many DRs, this time it would be nice if I get some help with assembling them all. Kate already volunteered to take over the editing of some (THANKS !) This is the perfect opportunity to test your skills at editing with some small projects. Maybe best we put some editors down in the MW who will know that they can start editing as soon as all the roles are in, to prevent double work in the end.

Sonia
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

Kitty wrote: March 17th, 2020, 2:26 am
Also, as there are so many DRs, this time it would be nice if I get some help with assembling them all. Kate already volunteered to take over the editing of some (THANKS !) This is the perfect opportunity to test your skills at editing with some small projects. Maybe best we put some editors down in the MW who will know that they can start editing as soon as all the roles are in, to prevent double work in the end.

Sonia
Hello Sonia,

I've been itching to do some editing. Please put me down to assemble some of these.

Best Regards,
Adrian
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adrianstephens wrote: March 17th, 2020, 2:40 am I've been itching to do some editing. Please put me down to assemble some of these.
yay :9: thank you so much. I will give some small ones with only a couple of roles to juggle and when you feel comfortable with that, maybe also a bigger one with many roles.

Will wait for how many people offer to help with editing, then I'll assign those as well.

Sonia