COMPLETE: The Spirit of the Age; Or, Contemporary Portraits by William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)-Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
soupy

Post by soupy »

This project is now complete! All files can be found at https://librivox.org/the-spirit-of-the-age-or-contemporary-portraits-by-william-hazlitt/

The Spirit of the Age; Or, Contemporary Portraits by William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830).
Leni is MC Craig Campbell is BC LGroden is DPL This is a Group Project
William Hazlitt was a keen observer of his time and the people populating the literary landscape before the year 1830. He presents short monographs on such illustrious persons as Jeremy Bentham 1748—1832, known for his philosophy of utility, William Godwin 1756-1836, who raised the standard of morality above the reach of humanity, Samuel Taylor Coleridge 1772-1834, Edward Irving 1792-1834, who keeps the public in awe by insulting all their favourite idols, Horne Tooke 1736-1812, who was tried for high treason, Sir Walter Scott 1771-1832, Lord Byron 1778-1824, Thomas Campbell 1777-1834, who wrote Pleasures of Hope, James Mackintosh 1765-1832, appointed Recorder (chief judge) of Bombay in 1804, William Wordsworth 1770-1850, Thomas Malthus 1766-1834, who wrote in answer to Mr. Godwin, William Gifford 1756-1826 , who edited The Quarterly Review, Francis Jeffrey 1773-1850, who edited The Edinburgh Review, Henry Brougham 1778–1868, who founded The Edinburgh Review in 1802, Francis Burdett 1770-1834, one of the most pleasing speakers in the House, and a prodigious favourite of the English people, William Wilberforce 1759-1833, whose first object and principle of action is to do what he thinks right, Robert Southey 1774-1843, the best and most natural prose-writer of any poet of the day, Thomas Moore 1779-1852, who wrote Fables for the Holy Alliance, and Leigh Hunt 1784-1859, we will venture to oppose his Third Canto of the Story of Rimini for classic elegance and natural feeling to any equal number of lines from Mr. Southey's Epics or from Mr. Moore's Lalla Rookh. Charles Lamb 1775-1834 wrote Essays of Elia under his pseudonym Elia and Washington Irvine 1783-1859 wrote under the pseudonym Geoffrey Crayon. Hazlitt compares the two in his final essay. He often refers to the person he’s writing about as Mr. Irvine, without even mentioning the first name. Zeitgeist is the spirit of the age in German. (Craig Campbell)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11068
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Read the end notes as they appear in the text rathan than at the end
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of The Spirit of the Age; Or, Contemporary Portraits by William Hazlitt. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say: " [Title in MW] For example: Chapter 1 Jeremy Bentham
        END of recording
        • At the end of the section, say:
          "End of [Chapter #]"
        • If you wish, say:
          "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
        • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
          "End of The Spirit of the Age; Or, Contemporary Portraits, by William Hazlitt."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
      • AFTER recording
        Need noise-cleaning?
        Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
        128 kbps MP3
        spiritoftheage_##_hazlitt_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case)
        where ## is the section number
        (e.g. spiritoftheage_01_hazlitt_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
        • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
          (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
        • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Leni
        • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
        • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
        Any questions?
        Please post below
Last edited by soupy on June 9th, 2020, 9:32 am, edited 7 times in total.
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hi, Craig, it's me again :mrgreen: Window coming shortly

ETA: And here it is. You had marked 00 sections in the form, so I added 17 sections, but we can change that. Let me know if anything looks wrong.
Leni
=================
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for taking on another of my projects Leni :thumbs:

I think I have it as I want it

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
soupy

Post by soupy »

I'll take section 1

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

I'd like to read section 3.

Michael
soupy

Post by soupy »

Section 3 is yours Kazbek :thumbs:

Thanks

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Moving us to Readers Wanted.
Leni
=================
BillTurns

Post by BillTurns »

I still have time for DPL activities. I'd be glad to provide my time to this project if welcomed.

~Bill
Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.
~Benjamin Franklin
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Bill.

Your DPL skills will be greatly appreciated :thumbs:

Leni will give you access to the Window of windows.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

BillTurns wrote: March 10th, 2020, 6:50 am I still have time for DPL activities. I'd be glad to provide my time to this project if welcomed.

~Bill
Great, thanks, Bill. You have access to the window.
Leni
=================
soupy

Post by soupy »

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
BillTurns

Post by BillTurns »

soupy wrote: March 12th, 2020, 1:19 pm Section 1

Jeremy Bentham

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/spiritoftheage_01_hazlitt_128kb.mp3

41:23

Craig
Section 01 : PL OK

Mr. Hazlett sure considers himself capable of critiquing Mr. Bentham. His own opinions on what drives humanity could be assessed in our present understanding derived from many logicians and analysts of the last 90 years studying what makes people tick and categorizing our leanings.

@Soupy, thank you. This could easily have been a dry read, and you kept it interesting.

~Bill
Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.
~Benjamin Franklin
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Bill

I like it because Mr. Hazlett is his contemporary :D

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
StevenWatson

Post by StevenWatson »

I'd very much like to read Section 6 "Walter Scott"?

Steven
soupy

Post by soupy »

Section 6 is yours StevenWatson :thumbs:

What display name would you like to use?

And Welcome to Librivox - please let me know if you have any questions.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge