COMPLETE - [GRP] The Arabian Nights Entertainments - Volume IV - kiki

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Danya

Post by Danya »

Hello Linny,
This is the link to my updated 1-minute test! And please let me know if you have any feedback for improving my speaking style (be more dramatic, or add more dynamics to my voice) or elocution as well as I hope to do justice the best I can to the stories! I would appreciate any feedback!
Danya

Post by Danya »

Hello, I would like to request Sections 1, 2, and 3 for The Story of the Enchanted Horse if they are available. I have been ok'd for the one minute test (link viewtopic.php?f=21&t=78709&p=1692146&hilit=danya#p1692146).

I will work to get the recordings in best possible quality! Also as I am starting out, I would like to list my name listed as "Danya". Thank you for all the support!
linny

Post by linny »

Danya wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 10:22 am Hello, I would like to request Sections 1, 2, and 3 for The Story of the Enchanted Horse if they are available. I have been ok'd for the one minute test (link viewtopic.php?f=21&t=78709&p=1692146&hilit=danya#p1692146).

I will work to get the recordings in best possible quality! Also as I am starting out, I would like to list my name listed as "Danya". Thank you for all the support!
I was the one that reviewed your test. :wink:

Here is your catalog page: https://librivox.org/reader/13994 The reader section details link is a great way to keep track of your claims.

These are long sections for a first recording. Let me know if you run into any problems or have any questions. Have fun!
Danya

Post by Danya »

Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well! I just had a question regarding my unedited read through for Section 1. I was hoping to get some feedback as this is my first reading! I would appreciate any comment on 1) the audio quality and whether it is acceptable (and goals for improving via editing) and 2) the quality of the reading itself (ie: be less dramatic, speed, enunciation, etc). There are two mistakes in it which I will edit, but before committing on to the editing process, I hoped to get some experienced feedback first!

I appreciate in advance any advice and thank you in advance for you time!

This is a link to my audio:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/arabiannights04_01_anonymous_128kb.mp3
linny

Post by linny »

Danya,
I think you did a great job!

Here are the necessary corrections I found:
3:00 mic bump

8:33 repeat - the emperor of Persia interrupted him. "I am willing," said he, "to give you whatever you may ask in exchange.

14:31 repeat - "Sir," answered the Hindoo, "your majesty saw as well as I…"Sir," answered the Hindoo, "your majesty saw as well as I with what rapidity the horse flew away….clap

Please make sure you upload your revision to our MCs folder (kikisaulite)

On occasion you pop on your p’s. You might consider moving your mic slightly or getting a pop filter. If you move the mic a good test is to place your finger on the mic. Speak and if you don’t feel your breath on the mic you are good to go.
5Tommy00

Post by 5Tommy00 »

I'll take Section 43 "Story of the Sultan, the Dervish, and the Barber's Son" if you'd like.
linny

Post by linny »

5Tommy00 wrote: March 26th, 2020, 9:24 am I'll take Section 43 "Story of the Sultan, the Dervish, and the Barber's Son" if you'd like.
Thank you! :D
niko1812

Post by niko1812 »

Hello,
I would like to read section 33. The story of the fisherman's son. I posted a reading in the Poem of the Week. Thanks
linny

Post by linny »

niko1812 wrote: March 26th, 2020, 10:17 am Hello,
I would like to read section 33. The story of the fisherman's son. I posted a reading in the Poem of the Week. Thanks
It's all yours. Thanks.
niko1812

Post by niko1812 »

Hello,
Here is 33 Story of a Fisherman's son
https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/arabiannights04_33_anonymous_128kb.mp3
length: 7:28
linny

Post by linny »

niko1812 wrote: March 26th, 2020, 3:03 pm Hello,
Here is 33 Story of a Fisherman's son
https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/arabiannights04_33_anonymous_128kb.mp3
length: 7:28
Great job! :D

Please trim the ending silence to 5 seconds. If you zoom in on the audio (magnifying glass in Audacity) you can make tighter edits.

For future recordings check your mic placement. Put your finger on your mic. Speak. If you can feel your breath then move the mic slightly.

Would you like to read another story?
niko1812

Post by niko1812 »

Hello ,
Here is the edited version.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/arabiannights04_33_anonymous_128kb.mp3.mp3

Thank you for the feedback. I would like to do section 29.
linny

Post by linny »

niko1812 wrote: March 27th, 2020, 9:07 am Hello ,
Here is the edited version.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/arabiannights04_33_anonymous_128kb.mp3.mp3

Thank you for the feedback. I would like to do section 29.
33 is spot check PL OK.

Thank you for the additional claim. :D
Jkhoriaty

Post by Jkhoriaty »

Hello!
I know that we are supposed to read exclusively from the Gutenberg text, but my section seems to have a typo in it.

One line reads, indecipherably, "He hastened or contrive my death to the sultan, and said, "My lord, the young man is vanished, and in his room became seated upon the camel this venerable shekh, well known to the whole city"

I was able to find a scan of the Dr. Jonathan Scott translation (the one that the gutenberg text originates from, at https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=VB0-AAAAcAAJ&rdid=book-VB0-AAAAcAAJ&rdot=1 - where it is free to download an ebook, so if you want to look at it, it's easy to do so!), and this line reads "He hastened to the sultan, and said, My lord, the young man" (absent the 'or contrive my death'). This version makes quite a bit more sense (rather, makes any sense at all).

Should I read the typo as it is written in the gutenberg text, or may I read it as it was in the original book?
they/them pronouns
linny

Post by linny »

Jkhoriaty wrote: March 28th, 2020, 9:09 am Hello!
I know that we are supposed to read exclusively from the Gutenberg text, but my section seems to have a typo in it.

One line reads, indecipherably, "He hastened or contrive my death to the sultan, and said, "My lord, the young man is vanished, and in his room became seated upon the camel this venerable shekh, well known to the whole city"

I was able to find a scan of the Dr. Jonathan Scott translation (the one that the gutenberg text originates from, at https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=VB0-AAAAcAAJ&rdid=book-VB0-AAAAcAAJ&rdot=1 - where it is free to download an ebook, so if you want to look at it, it's easy to do so!), and this line reads "He hastened to the sultan, and said, My lord, the young man" (absent the 'or contrive my death'). This version makes quite a bit more sense (rather, makes any sense at all).

Should I read the typo as it is written in the gutenberg text, or may I read it as it was in the original book?
I’m ok with omitting the 4 words. It will be easier for the listener to understand and this isn’t a word perfect project.

Thank you for asking and doing the research. :thumbs: