[Complete] The Weird Picture by John R. Carling - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

I think so, long ago. I can recheck if you like.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Ch 14 PL OK
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

I listened to 15 long ago and it is pl-ok. I can pl it again if you like, I have some time.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

miss stav wrote: July 19th, 2020, 10:31 am I listened to 15 long ago and it is pl-ok. I can pl it again if you like, I have some time.
I listened to 15 and there are many deviations from the text.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Ok, iI didn't find tem so perhaps you better write them here. I can make mistakes too...
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

With a screen reader I sometimes miss this stuff. Not a lot as far as I know but yes it happens.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Section 15

Did you submit an unedited file? It is an easy mistake to make.
There were a few instances that made me wonder what you were saying, but I let them go and differences in accent, but after the first error mentioned below, I started following along with the text. It is important we remain as faithful to the original as possible, although the occasional "he said" versus "said he" can be overlooked.

~8:10 I hear " restored me instantly to the full use of my facilities" S/B "restored me instantly to the full use of my faculties"
~10:43 Repeat "this is the age of realism"
~19:49 Repeat "I knew he would obey me"
~20:15 skipped line "concentrated all my faculties upon the difficulties of my position. My uncle must by this time have returned with Sir Hugh, and on"
~20:34 Repeated line "They could not easily force the door, nor, if they had any suspicion of the artist's insanity, would they be so rash as to try, but one blow would shatter the window and give them instant admission into the tower."
~22:15 unclear "indisputable axiom."
~23:05 I hear "sustained poem" S/B "stained poniard"
~23:50 I hear "Bulgaria or Mussolini" S/B"Borgia or Macchiavelli"
~24:00 I hear "taboo" S/B "tableau"
~24:35 I hear "i am accompanied" S/B"I am occupied"
~27:00 I hear "vanquish" S/B "vanish"
~27:25 I hear "Vasalini" S/B "Vasari" (this is the main character in the book, so the name has been mentioned multiple times and can't be changed in chapter 15)
~27:44 I hear " prompting that he had been freed of his own accord to the content " S/B 'purporting that he had fled of his own accord to the Continent."
28:28 Repeat "Yes; I would so arrange the affair"
~28:40 I hear "the Coven" S/B "The Continent"
~29:40 I hear "ordered his slave to be flattered" S/B "order one of his slaves to be fettered"
~30:10 stumble "mediocre"

There were very many other errors (many in pronunciation, which we do not usually correct e.g. "essel for 'easel'), tense (e.g. making verbs present tense when they should be past and vice versa) and skipping or substituting words, where the meaning wasn't changed, but there were enough of them to constitute a re-write.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

The reader for sections 15 and 16 has withdrawn so we are looking for another reader. This is a very long chapter, but I would like one reader for both sections, to be split as the reader sees fit.
Mamacheetah

Post by Mamacheetah »

Hi! My name is Cita. I'm new. My 1-minute test has just been approved today. May I claim the orphan chapters?
And I would like to use 'Mamacheetah' as my name in the catalog.

Regards,
Cita.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Mamacheetah wrote: August 9th, 2020, 7:17 pm Hi! My name is Cita. I'm new. My 1-minute test has just been approved today. May I claim the orphan chapters?
And I would like to use 'Mamacheetah' as my name in the catalog.

Regards,
Cita.
Hi Cita
I have added you to the catalog and assigned those two sections.
Please be warned this is a very long chapter and quite a challenge. I would like the chapter split into two sections... roughly evenly, but wherever makes sense to you.
Mamacheetah

Post by Mamacheetah »

Hi, Lynnet.
Noted. I'll try my best.
Mamacheetah

Post by Mamacheetah »

Hello!
I have finished chapter 15. Have checked the file file using checker, and it passed. However, as a newbie I would likely make mistakes. And I also not an English native speaker. I've tried to be as clear as I can, but there might still be some mistakes. So, I hope you guys would be patient enough to teach me to be better.

And this is my recording link: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/the_weird_picture_chp15_by_mamacheetah.mp3

I'm so excited to be in this project. And hopefully I can finish chapter 16 on time.

Love,
Cita.
Mamacheetah

Post by Mamacheetah »

I forgot to mention the file duration. It's 39m:36s

Cita.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Mamacheetah wrote: September 3rd, 2020, 1:14 am Hello!
I have finished chapter 15. Have checked the file file using checker, and it passed. However, as a newbie I would likely make mistakes. And I also not an English native speaker. I've tried to be as clear as I can, but there might still be some mistakes. So, I hope you guys would be patient enough to teach me to be better.

And this is my recording link: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/the_weird_picture_chp15_by_mamacheetah.mp3

I'm so excited to be in this project. And hopefully I can finish chapter 16 on time.

Love,
Cita.
Thank you. And we all make mistakes sometimes 8-)
Please be sure to use the correct file name in future.
Mamacheetah

Post by Mamacheetah »

[/quote]

Thank you. And we all make mistakes sometimes 8-)
Please be sure to use the correct file name in future.
[/quote]

Ow. My bad. I'll use the correct file name next time. Thx for telling me.