[COMPLETE][humour/essays]Journeys to Bagdad - Charles S. Brooks - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
rmd2001

Post by rmd2001 »

Kitty wrote: November 7th, 2019, 12:09 pm
rmd2001 wrote: November 7th, 2019, 10:55 amMay I have section 8?
hey Rachel, welcome to this project :) I see you just passed your test :thumbs: so now I only need to know the reader name you want to go by, then I can open your personal reader page for you and assign you the section officially. This can be your forum name or your real name, or a pseudonym, whichever you prefer.

All the important details about intro/outro and filenaming can be found in the first post. If there are any questions still, don't hesitate to ask. And have fun with your first official recording. 8-)

Sonia
Hi Sonia,
I am using the reader name Rachel Marie.
Thank you so much!
Rachel Marie
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

rmd2001 wrote: November 7th, 2019, 2:57 pmI am using the reader name Rachel Marie.
excellent, so here is your personal reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/13704
you can see your first project listed here, and hopefully this will fill up with many more projects over time. :9: If you click on Reader Section Details you can see which sections are still to be recorded, which have PL notes and which are PL ok. So it's a good tracking system in case you forget what you still have on your to-do-list ;)

Now have fun with your first section. :) Looking forward to listening to it.

Sonia
rmd2001

Post by rmd2001 »

Hi! I actually have my section ready. I decided to get it done right away so that if there were any issues I would have plenty of time to fix them. Here is section 8: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/journeystobagdad_08_128.mp3
Please let me know if this is satisfactory. Thanks.
Rachel Marie
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

rmd2001 wrote: November 8th, 2019, 7:55 pmHi! I actually have my section ready. I decided to get it done right away so that if there were any issues I would have plenty of time to fix them. Here is section 8: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/journeystobagdad_08_128.mp3
thank you, Rachel, now this was a fast turn-around. 8-) Congrats to your first recording, I hope you had fun with the author's style. :mrgreen:

On the whole, you have done a nice reading, it was nearly word-perfect and it was well understandable throughout, the pacing not too slow and not too fast rushed. Perfect to follow along as a listener. So far so good.

There are however a few corrections that still need to be done. It doesn't require any re-recording so don't worry about the following list, it's merely some cosmetics to make the section sound smoother. I only found a few annoying clicks which can be edited out and some pauses were very long:

> the volume is over 92 dB which is our upper limit. I would suggest decreasing the overall volume by -2 to get to a better average of about 89 dB. Do you know how to do this ? Do you use Audacity ? Then I can give you a step-by-step

> the background noise is a bit disturbing, but this can be cleaning in the editing phase. I would suggest running one round of noise-cleaning. Again, in Audacity this is easily done. If you need help, please ask.

Please do the following corrections to the text. And I suggest starting at the end of the list, that way the time stamps won't change for you when you cut out some pauses ;)

> at 0:24: between "lively matters" and "several months ago" I hear a loud click, which could be removed

> from 2:44-2:47: between "to dust the balusters" and "and old house is strong": the pause here is too long. Anything over 2 seconds feels very long for a listener I find. I would cut the break down a bit, 1.5 seconds is fully enough between paragraphs.

> from 4:23-4:25: between "these at the top of the heap" and "I choose to trace" - same here, I would cut a bit of pause. Also I hear clicks in both pauses, so at the same time you clean these noises out a bit

> at 7:01: between "against the world" and "encyclopedias" I hear another loud click. Is it a chair creaking maybe ? Best take care not to move too much when you record, the microphone will pick up anything. And if you hear such noises while listening to it a second time (in the editing phase), I would cut them out, the recording sounds cleaner that way

> at 8:55-8:56: between "hero and heroine" and "you will remember" - also here, some clicks can be removed

> at 11:49: between "travel by" and "furthermore" - another click can be removed

> at 13:57: at the end of the recording we always leave a standard of 5 seconds of silence, so as not to stop too abruptly. Could you add 3 more seconds here please ? You can also cut the final click in the same process ;)

> and last but not least, careful with the filenaming. Best to copy/paste the example from the first post, and then only change the ## into the relevant section number. Here you forgot the "kb" at the end

> oh and as a helpful convention, please always state the file length when you post a section. So the BC can update the MW accordingly.

thanks !

Sonia
rmd2001

Post by rmd2001 »

Kitty wrote: November 9th, 2019, 3:12 am
rmd2001 wrote: November 8th, 2019, 7:55 pmHi! I actually have my section ready. I decided to get it done right away so that if there were any issues I would have plenty of time to fix them. Here is section 8: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/journeystobagdad_08_128.mp3
thank you, Rachel, now this was a fast turn-around. 8-) Congrats to your first recording, I hope you had fun with the author's style. :mrgreen:

On the whole, you have done a nice reading, it was nearly word-perfect and it was well understandable throughout, the pacing not too slow and not too fast rushed. Perfect to follow along as a listener. So far so good.

There are however a few corrections that still need to be done. It doesn't require any re-recording so don't worry about the following list, it's merely some cosmetics to make the section sound smoother. I only found a few annoying clicks which can be edited out and some pauses were very long:

> the volume is over 92 dB which is our upper limit. I would suggest decreasing the overall volume by -2 to get to a better average of about 89 dB. Do you know how to do this ? Do you use Audacity ? Then I can give you a step-by-step

> the background noise is a bit disturbing, but this can be cleaning in the editing phase. I would suggest running one round of noise-cleaning. Again, in Audacity this is easily done. If you need help, please ask.

Please do the following corrections to the text. And I suggest starting at the end of the list, that way the time stamps won't change for you when you cut out some pauses ;)

> at 0:24: between "lively matters" and "several months ago" I hear a loud click, which could be removed

> from 2:44-2:47: between "to dust the balusters" and "and old house is strong": the pause here is too long. Anything over 2 seconds feels very long for a listener I find. I would cut the break down a bit, 1.5 seconds is fully enough between paragraphs.

> from 4:23-4:25: between "these at the top of the heap" and "I choose to trace" - same here, I would cut a bit of pause. Also I hear clicks in both pauses, so at the same time you clean these noises out a bit

> at 7:01: between "against the world" and "encyclopedias" I hear another loud click. Is it a chair creaking maybe ? Best take care not to move too much when you record, the microphone will pick up anything. And if you hear such noises while listening to it a second time (in the editing phase), I would cut them out, the recording sounds cleaner that way

> at 8:55-8:56: between "hero and heroine" and "you will remember" - also here, some clicks can be removed

> at 11:49: between "travel by" and "furthermore" - another click can be removed

> at 13:57: at the end of the recording we always leave a standard of 5 seconds of silence, so as not to stop too abruptly. Could you add 3 more seconds here please ? You can also cut the final click in the same process ;)

> and last but not least, careful with the filenaming. Best to copy/paste the example from the first post, and then only change the ## into the relevant section number. Here you forgot the "kb" at the end

> oh and as a helpful convention, please always state the file length when you post a section. So the BC can update the MW accordingly.

thanks !

Sonia
Hi Sonia,
Thank you so much for your helpful feedback. I really did enjoy reading this section! I went through my recording and I think I fixed everything you mentioned:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/journeystobagdad_08_128kb.mp3
File length: 13:54
I think the clicks were created every time I had to stop recording to avoid picking up the sound of my computer heating up, but I edited them out. As for the background noise, I tried to do as much noise cleaning as I could without affecting the vocal quality too much. I also added a few more seconds of silence at the end and decreased the volume -3. Please let me know if this is what you are looking for. Thanks again!
Rachel
Rachel Marie
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

rmd2001 wrote: November 9th, 2019, 2:32 pmI went through my recording and I think I fixed everything you mentioned:
File length: 13:54
thank you, the sound is now much better now the noise is gone. Good corrections all. :thumbs:

Still, the volume shows over 92 dB. :hmm: How did you decrease your volume ? Maybe you did something wrong. Which editing programme are you using and what did you do ?

BTW you can check the volume yourself with the Checker program: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker Just let your finished mp3 file run through this and it will tell you if you are still too far off the desired range.

Also it is advisable not to record too loud to begin with. I can hear that your section had some clippings, that's when the sound is too loud, the peaks will get cut off. It could distort the sound, so we try to avoid that at all costs. Best to set your microphone input level to lower from the start.
I think the clicks were created every time I had to stop recording to avoid picking up the sound of my computer heating up, but I edited them out.
ah that was it, yes, it's easy to cut those out later on. But always best to do it before you upload ready for PL ;) that way the DPLer has less notes to write down.
As for the background noise, I tried to do as much noise cleaning as I could without affecting the vocal quality too much.
the sound is a bit tinny, that's true. I was thinking it was because of the clippings. But it could also be that the parametre numbers you chose for cleaning were too agressive. Better use smaller numbers and run the cleaning twice, than once with higher numbers. I use Audacity and my parametres are: Noise reduction: 12 / Sensitivity: 6 / Frequency smoothing: 0. It works well for me and isn't aggressive. If you have Audacity as well, you could check it with your numbers.

So could you just decrease the volume with -2 dB once more, or tell me what you did and whether you need help ? Then reupload with the same file name, which is correct now. :)

Thanks, we're getting there !

Sonia
rmd2001

Post by rmd2001 »

Hi Sonia,
Thank you so much for your patience. I think this should be better:
Duration: 13:54
I fixed the volume issue (I think the problem before may have been that I lowered it 0.3 instead of 3.0!) and I tried to clear up the vocal quality a little, but I don't know how much of a difference it made. Thank you for your advice on noise-cleaning as well. I'm very new to audacity so I appreciated your patience!
Rachel
Rachel Marie
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

rmd2001 wrote: November 12th, 2019, 3:08 pmI fixed the volume issue (I think the problem before may have been that I lowered it 0.3 instead of 3.0!)
ah ok, mystery solved. Now the volume is indeed at about 89 dB. :thumbs:

What I could suggest further is that you take care that your voice stays in the same volume range throughout your recording. If you use Audacity you can well monitor the blue waves while you are recording. If you see a high peak appearing, then it's best to re-record that part immediately and keeping the voice more level. Because later when you need to amplify, these peaks will clip or prevent your other parts from being amplified enough. In the end you will have some loud parts and some that are very low in volume. This is here in some spots as well. It's ok for this time, but it's something worth watching out for. With more practice you will get a feeling on how loud you should make your voice to keep in the same volume throughout. :)
I tried to clear up the vocal quality a little, but I don't know how much of a difference it made.
what did you do exactly to clear that up ?

In any case, I can mark the section PL ok now. Congrats to your first officially OK section :clap:

Thank you !

Sonia
rmd2001

Post by rmd2001 »

Kitty wrote: November 13th, 2019, 1:56 am
rmd2001 wrote: November 12th, 2019, 3:08 pmI fixed the volume issue (I think the problem before may have been that I lowered it 0.3 instead of 3.0!)
ah ok, mystery solved. Now the volume is indeed at about 89 dB. :thumbs:

What I could suggest further is that you take care that your voice stays in the same volume range throughout your recording. If you use Audacity you can well monitor the blue waves while you are recording. If you see a high peak appearing, then it's best to re-record that part immediately and keeping the voice more level. Because later when you need to amplify, these peaks will clip or prevent your other parts from being amplified enough. In the end you will have some loud parts and some that are very low in volume. This is here in some spots as well. It's ok for this time, but it's something worth watching out for. With more practice you will get a feeling on how loud you should make your voice to keep in the same volume throughout. :)
I tried to clear up the vocal quality a little, but I don't know how much of a difference it made.
what did you do exactly to clear that up ?

In any case, I can mark the section PL ok now. Congrats to your first officially OK section :clap:

Thank you !

Sonia
Thanks for the advice. I'm keeping more aware of my volume when I'm recording. I tried using the equalizer to clear up the vocal quality, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference. Thank you for your help with my first recording! :D
Rachel Marie
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

rmd2001 wrote: November 13th, 2019, 3:13 pmI tried using the equalizer to clear up the vocal quality, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference.
I never use the equalizer either as I seem not to get the hang of it either. :lol: For me, amplifying is working just fine, but as I said, it's easier if you have the same audio wave-height all throughout the recording.

With practice this will get easier and better. :)

Sonia
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

Claim section 5 please.
Signature: KATHLEEN
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

2839reader wrote: November 16th, 2019, 6:46 pm Claim section 5 please.
thank you, Kathleen and welcome aboard. I hope you enjoy the section :)

Sonia
Anitazz

Post by Anitazz »

dbowens1227

Post by dbowens1227 »

Hi Kitty,

Finished recording. Here is the link https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/journeystobagdad_06_brooks_128kb.mp3
File duration :05:34

Thank you!
Denise
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Anitazz wrote: November 17th, 2019, 1:55 pmUploaded Chapter 9!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/journeystobagdad_09_brooks_128kb.mp3 (8:52)
Anita
excellent job again, Anita, thank you so much. :9: and the author is still as entertaining as in the last book. :lol: I love his style.

Totally PL ok !

Sonia