[Group] Manners and Rules of Good Society - Or, Solecisms to be Avoided - by a Member of the Aristocracy-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kimjoys

Post by kimjoys » October 29th, 2019, 9:32 pm

Hi,

I had a couple of pronunciation questions.

1. In Chapter 10, Presentations at court..., they give an address with the abbreviation S.W.:
“should send in their names and the names of those to be presented by them to the Lord Chamberlain, St. James's Palace, S.W., on the 1st of January in each year, but not before that date.”
I was wondering how I should read the abbreviation. I assume it stands for “South west.” Should I say that? Or say the initials/letters themselves? What would you like?

2. A couple of French words are used in the text (raison d'être, levée, entrée). Is it okay to say them closer to what the French words sound like? Or would you prefer them spoken with an American accent? I’d prefer the former option.

Thanks,
Kim
Cheers,
Kim

schrm

Post by schrm » October 29th, 2019, 10:38 pm

Anitazz wrote:
October 29th, 2019, 2:29 pm
Hi! I would like to volunteer for chapters 30 and 31; my manners in good society can use a bit of a brush-up! :lol:

Anita
Thank you Anita!
i entered your claims in the mw!

/reader/12275

en-bc: lay down your arms

de-bc: sammlung kurzer deutscher prosa
de-duo: rousseau

schrm

Post by schrm » October 29th, 2019, 10:44 pm

kimjoys wrote:
October 29th, 2019, 9:32 pm
Hi,

I had a couple of pronunciation questions.

1. In Chapter 10, Presentations at court..., they give an address with the abbreviation S.W.:
“should send in their names and the names of those to be presented by them to the Lord Chamberlain, St. James's Palace, S.W., on the 1st of January in each year, but not before that date.”
I was wondering how I should read the abbreviation. I assume it stands for “South west.” Should I say that? Or say the initials/letters themselves? What would you like?

2. A couple of French words are used in the text (raison d'être, levée, entrée). Is it okay to say them closer to what the French words sound like? Or would you prefer them spoken with an American accent? I’d prefer the former option.

Thanks,
Kim
hi kim,

interpretation is up to the reader! at least, where it isn't specified by bc or mc.

so, southwest should be correct and how you read it is up to you!

the french words: since you are able to pronounce them in french, please do it! but as written above, that is totally up to you!
i can imagine, eg., that it can hinder you in reading the following english words. and there are some other reasons for sure.

to mention it: we have a forum thread, where one can ask for pronunciation help - most times, people record the words.
so, original pronounciation is very welcome!
but no one has to use this thread, no one has to read it in an english accent, no one..
librivox is a hobby and it should be fun to record...

so, please, let your spirits come into play and enjoy reading it :-)

/reader/12275

schrm

Post by schrm » October 29th, 2019, 10:50 pm

KevinS wrote:
October 29th, 2019, 8:38 pm
Feel free to ask questions of us. schrm, in particular, is very good. I'm really just a beginner like you.
oh my god, you are so polite kevin..
:D

shhh:
--> it is the other way round, he is on a professional level. and not only paragonated with me <--

/reader/12275

Dwarika

Post by Dwarika » October 30th, 2019, 4:52 am

KevinS wrote:
October 29th, 2019, 8:32 pm
Dwarika wrote:
October 29th, 2019, 6:44 pm

Sure..please guide me so that I can apply it in all recordings.
Thanks a lot!

Dwarika
Okay. We can begin now and I will follow up with you as soon as I can and see that you have responded.

In Audacity, if you select your entire recording and then use the Amplify effect, you can increase your volume by 4db with little concern for any difficulties in the sound of your work. (Increasing volume by a lot, can cause problems, but 4dbs is really not a great deal.)

The amplify effect has a sliding tool that allows you to both increase and decrease volumes. You would move the tool to +4db.

It's as easy as that. You can then save the file, export it, and upload the modified recording onto LibriVox.

In my next post to you, I will provide you with the link to what we call the Checker. It will help you analyze your recordings and will tell you if your volume is too low, too loud, or just right.
Hey!!
Thanks a lot. i have amplified as you have guided and uploaded the file. :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mannersandrules_02_anon_128kb.mp3

i used the 'cheker' which has Passed the recording :clap:

now one more help required - i am not able to clear the Noise in - 15.08-15.09. i am not ableto to correct it and if i have to re-record it then finding it difficult.

Regards,
Dwarika

KevinS

Post by KevinS » October 30th, 2019, 6:11 am

Dwarika wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 4:52 am
KevinS wrote:
October 29th, 2019, 8:32 pm
Dwarika wrote:
October 29th, 2019, 6:44 pm

Sure..please guide me so that I can apply it in all recordings.
Thanks a lot!

Dwarika
Okay. We can begin now and I will follow up with you as soon as I can and see that you have responded.

In Audacity, if you select your entire recording and then use the Amplify effect, you can increase your volume by 4db with little concern for any difficulties in the sound of your work. (Increasing volume by a lot, can cause problems, but 4dbs is really not a great deal.)

The amplify effect has a sliding tool that allows you to both increase and decrease volumes. You would move the tool to +4db.

It's as easy as that. You can then save the file, export it, and upload the modified recording onto LibriVox.

In my next post to you, I will provide you with the link to what we call the Checker. It will help you analyze your recordings and will tell you if your volume is too low, too loud, or just right.
Hey!!
Thanks a lot. i have amplified as you have guided and uploaded the file. :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mannersandrules_02_anon_128kb.mp3

i used the 'cheker' which has Passed the recording :clap:

now one more help required - i am not able to clear the Noise in - 15.08-15.09. i am not ableto to correct it and if i have to re-record it then finding it difficult.

Regards,
Dwarika
schrm, do you mind if I make this edit for Dwarika?

schrm

Post by schrm » October 30th, 2019, 6:24 am

KevinS wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 6:11 am

no, i'm totally fine with every help and working together which happens :-)

(the noise during a word: i would rerecord it and cut it in, i don't know of other ways :-) i'm eager to learn about pling and editing matters, everyone has his own style..)

i added the recording to the mw!

/reader/12275

KevinS

Post by KevinS » October 30th, 2019, 7:23 am

Dwarika wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 4:52 am

Regards,
Dwarika
schrm wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 6:24 am
KevinS wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 6:11 am

no, i'm totally fine with every help and working together which happens :-)

(the noise during a word: i would rerecord it and cut it in, i don't know of other ways :-) i'm eager to learn about pling and editing matters, everyone has his own style..)

i added the recording to the mw!
I have made the edit as best I can in the period of time I can devote to it. I trust the small hiccup is not too noticeable.

I have also included the required one second of silence at the very beginning of the recording.

schrm

Post by schrm » October 30th, 2019, 10:44 am

KevinS wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 7:23 am

I have made the edit as best I can in the period of time I can devote to it. I trust the small hiccup is not too noticeable.

I have also included the required one second of silence at the very beginning of the recording.
thank you kevin!

dwarika, please listen to
15.08-15.09
and decide wether you like kevins edit on this or not - i will pl with cc as soon as possible, which may be friday...

greetings from tyrol!

/reader/12275

KevinS

Post by KevinS » October 30th, 2019, 10:46 am

schrm wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 10:44 am
KevinS wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 7:23 am

thank you kevin!

dwarika, please listen to
15.08-15.09
and decide wether you like kevins edit on this or not - i will pl with cc as soon as possible, which may be friday...

greetings from tyrol!
schrm, we have 3 DPLs! Hahaha! Such a wealth of ears!

When would you like me and jmbau to help?

KevinS

Post by KevinS » October 30th, 2019, 10:47 am

I do think I'd like to record more sections soon.

schrm

Post by schrm » October 30th, 2019, 10:49 am

KevinS wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 10:46 am

lol, no im not... but pl with cc is a little bit of work and i began with this without dpl's..
and you decided to dpl on the standard level....
now i don't want to stress you with this...

/reader/12275

KevinS

Post by KevinS » October 30th, 2019, 10:52 am

schrm wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 10:49 am
KevinS wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 10:46 am

lol, no im not... but pl with cc is a little bit of work and i began with this without dpl's..
and you decided to dpl on the standard level....
now i don't want to stress you with this...
I understand. I'm sure that Dwarika is very grateful to you.

Incidentally, I experimented a little bit trying to eliminate that sort of hollow sound from the recording, but failed. Your advice about soft blankets and things is much to be recommended.

schrm

Post by schrm » October 30th, 2019, 10:52 am

KevinS wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 10:47 am
I do think I'd like to record more sections soon.
now we need jane, eg 8-)
we do have your other sections waiting on pl.
did you edit the section with suggestions, yet?

/reader/12275

KevinS

Post by KevinS » October 30th, 2019, 10:54 am

schrm wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 10:52 am

did you edit the section with suggestions, yet?
I will now.